• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA clubs that allow moving and shooting

Hopkinton pits are Open to everyone, at all times, when USPSA and the neighboring PDs haven’t commandeered them (which is often in the summer).
PDs rent the ranges, they don't commandeer them unless they are digging for bodies. The rentals are generally during the week and don't occupy all of the outdoor ranges (the short ones up front are rarely rented). I don't remember any weekend police rentals at the club.

The club just paid a bit over $5K to have a failed furnace replaced, and ElPrez is now dealing with replacing the phone pole that is used for skeet range lighting that broke off and collapsed in a recent storm.

USPSA is one Saturday per month in the spring/summer/fall (all outdoor pistol ranges), plus Wed PM practice on the larger 2 or 3 of the 6 outdoor pistol ranges.

Last edited:
PDs rent the ranges, they don't commandeer them unless they are digging for bodies. The rentals are generally during the week and don't occupy all of the outdoor ranges (the short ones up front are rarely rented). I don't remember any weekend police rentals at the club.

The club just paid a bit over $5K to have a failed furnace replaced, and ElPrez is now dealing with replacing the phone pole that is used for skeet range lighting that broke off and collapsed in a recent storm.

USPSA is one Saturday per month in the spring/summer/fall (all outdoor pistol ranges), plus Wed PM practice on the larger 2 or 3 of the 6 outdoor pistol ranges.

I’m not complaining, just informing. The question was specific to moving and shooting, which would conceivably be done in bays 4,5,6, correct? Those bays were rented by local PDs (again, not complaining, just informing) more than two dozen times this year. Yes, during the week, and in the mornings. However, someone like myself who typically only has availability Wednesday mornings, (sometimes Sundays) this means that for 8 weeks worth of Wednesday mornings (spread about, not continuous) I’m unable to use those bays. To me, that’s not insignificant.
Yes, the small pistol bays are open as is the 100/200 yd, range but moving and shooting would be difficult in those spaces.

I love HSA, I just cut them another check and I can’t thank you enough for helping me there, but it’s worth noting (especially for someone like me with time constraints) that there is a substantial police presence during the weekdays, over the summer, in the bays where someone could move and shoot.

Edit- I don’t personally do a lot of moving and shooting, it’s just what this thread is about.

Last edited:
Hardwick rod and gun has a run and gun range. For pistol and pistol caliber carbine. I was there last weekend. Nice setup.

My best advice, move west

Thanks for posting the photo. I was wondering what it was going to look like when completely done.
I am a member just have not been down there since like July.

🐯

If you're a member and think weekday police rentals are excessive, let the board and ElPrez know. They are tasked with balancing service to members with service to the club's financial obligations.

No, I just want to bitch a little because I’m the odd duck with timing issues and an weird work schedule. Frankly, I hate squeaky wheels, so I’ll shut up now.

No, I just want to bitch a little because I’m the odd duck with timing issues and an weird work schedule. Frankly, I hate squeaky wheels, so I’ll shut up now.
the good news is that budgets are getting slashed everywhere, and you likely won't see many police departments there this Spring and summer lol

the good news is that budgets are getting slashed everywhere, and you likely won't see many police departments there this Spring and summer lol

Serious question.
Any idea what the impacts the current ammo situation has on PDs, if any? Do suppliers or ammo manufacturers have contracts for pricing and quantities regardless of availability? Or are departments feeling the squeeze?

Serious question.
Any idea what the impacts the current ammo situation has on PDs, if any? Do suppliers or ammo manufacturers have contracts for pricing and quantities regardless of availability? Or are departments feeling the squeeze?
They are probably spending our taxes instantly buying out 9mm TSUSA stock at $0.60+/rd. After all it's for our own good.

Serious question.

I asked a Boston Police lieutenant what he scores on his annual qualification. He grinned and said "I usually just call in a score to Moon Island." These guys don't shoot much.

Serious question.
Feds put out to bid and get a fixed price for a fixed quantity.

States may do the same or get a fixed price contract where cities/towns can buy off the state contract.

Local PDs may buy off the state contract or "go it alone" with the local cop-shop pricing. Some years ago AAA Police Supply had fliers on the counter with agency pricing (no taxes) listed . . . it was during the Big Zero's reign and those prices were no bargain.

Going back 25-30 yrs ago my PD dropped our semi-annual qual to annual and killed off the night shooting, due to ammo costs.

I asked a Boston Police lieutenant what he scores on his annual qualification. He grinned and said "I usually just call in a score to Moon Island." These guys don't shoot much.
Sadly a lot of senior officers in many departments do just that.

Serious question.

No idea.... I stocked up for us a year ago... and haven't purchased for next year. We buy through AAA and I haven't heard back yet.

Hopkinton Sportsman's Club has action pits. 2 of which you can use rifles in (3 if shooting PCC).
Ya, I was going to say Hopkinton..
Only time I got called out was when I drove my car through the range and was practicing bailing out at 40mph while shooting ...sure, it was the parking lot, and the weapon was a Barrett 50 cal, and technically I should have been wearing pants , but I don’t think everyone should have reacted that way

Airsoft. You can be as operationally operator as you want in your backyard with cheap steel circles on Shepard hooks.

Yes I'm serious. Plus you can dress up in full LARP attire and no one will laugh at you.
Are you running spring action or the gas blowback? Big difference in cost, but the gbb look like decent trainers for home practice.
Still looking for a trainer .22 to buy, but out of stock everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom