MA compliant SIG 556 request thread...

If you live in a ban state like MA or NY and are interested in an AWB compliant SIG 556, please post here. If there is enough interest, I will forward this thread to SIG.

Here is what I see an AWB compliant SIG 556 looking like...
Plain, unthreaded muzzle (which I would prefer) or a perm attached muzzle brake.
Stock: fixed Ace stock, A2 type stock, Sully stock, or ?
Personally, I would prefer SIG to use the Sully stock if they were to make an AWB compliant model.

Here are some images borrowed from the net...
SIG 556 with Sully stock and SIG 551 handguards...
sully5562.jpg

This gives you an idea of what an A2 stock would look like on a 556. SIG 556 with A1 stock and SIG 551 handguards...
1_dsc08198M.jpg

More expensive option, SIG 556 with MagPul PRS...
556sideprofilegoodpic.jpg

No ban SIG 556...
sig556_dual_lg2.jpg

SIG contact info...
http://www.sigsauer.com

SIG SAUER, Inc.
18 Industrial Drive
Exeter, NH 03833
Phone: 603-772-2302
Fax: 603-772-9082

E-mail: siginfo@sigsauer

Last edited:
Could you have a dealer order one and then make the mods before selling it to you? It might void the warranty but it wouldn't be hard to pin a muzzle break and pin the stock.

It's a decently priced rifle (about $1300 in Maryland) that I'd consider if I had the cash, which I don't.

My dad has one in a freer state. Trigger is incredible and overall fit and finish are very nice.

Could you have a dealer order one and then make the mods before selling it to you? It might void the warranty but it wouldn't be hard to pin a muzzle break and pin the stock.

I asked a dealer about doing that for me and he said that the rifle must come into the state in ban configuration from the manufacturer, something about the serial number designating configuration.

I asked a dealer about doing that for me and he said that the rifle must come into the state in ban configuration from the manufacturer, something about the serial number designating configuration.

Could you have an out-of-state dealer make it Mass compliant, buy it, and then bring it in to Mass?

I do agree that Sig should make a Mass compliant model though. If they're going to sell AR type rifles they should offer factory options like the bull barrel and fixed stock.

One other thing, the 556 will accept all original 550 series uppers (& vice versa), though they are rare and expensive. And just for reference, an original pre import ban 550 will cost you around 10k +/- & the 550 series lowers don't accept standard AR/M-16 mags like the 556 does. DSA has a 550S on their site right now, a package deal, 15k.
http://dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SIG550
Swiss Arms...
http://swissarms2.ath.cx/index.php?id=13&L=1

Last edited:
Could you have an out-of-state dealer make it Mass compliant, buy it, and then bring it in to Mass?

I do agree that Sig should make a Mass compliant model though. If they're going to sell AR type rifles they should offer factory options like the bull barrel and fixed stock.

Good question, I'm not sure on that as I don't know the laws that well.

That's what I'd really like to see happen, I would love to be able to walk into a gun shop, pick one off a rack and buy it. And I agree, they should offer more factory options and models.

You could have an NH (or other remote) dealer do this for you, if they
were willing. Probably have to throw a bit of extra cash their
way.

-Mike

I first saw these a couple of years ago - and wanted one then. Still waiting to see if they produce a MA compliant version. It's just a barrel and stock change what is the big deal? Does SIG just not want to deal with MA on this particular rifle?

Besides the fact that I think the 556 is a complete abortion... That dealer was blowing smoke up your a**.

Dealers can buy anything they want, weld a break on the muzzle, pop on a new stock, and sell it to their hearts content...

--EasyD

I contacted Carl at FSguns via e-mail, he will be contacting SIG about the possibility of offering a AWB compliant model. Thanks Carl!

Besides the fact that I think the 556 is a complete abortion... That dealer was blowing smoke up your a**.

Dealers can buy anything they want, weld a break on the muzzle, pop on a new stock, and sell it to their hearts content...

--EasyD

Interesting, though I'd still like to see a production AWB model made to make it easier. I will look more into that option if it comes down to that being my only option.

I respect your opinion on the 556, I personally like the 556. I've been a huge fan of the SG 550 series forever and the 556 is the only realistic option for me to ever own one. IMO, the 556 lower is far superior to the 550 series lower as the 556 lower accepts AR mags. Even if I didn't live in a ban state, I'd prefer the 556 lower due to the availability of AR mags. The upper on the 556 is virtually the same as the 551 upper except for the rifle grenade BBL & FS on the 551. The handguards and buttstock are an easy fix for those that dislike them. Pre import ban 550 sell for 10k +/- and the current production models by Swiss Arms are being sold in Europe and Canada sell for around $3000 USD.

Last edited:

--EasyD

I received an e-advertisement from a wholesaler on this very rifle. The words "sorry no sales to CA, HI & MA" were in bold font.

Manufacturers have some control over the wholesaler and the wholesaler has some control over the FFL.

I believe Sig NH sells direct to retailers now without wholesalers. I wouldn't doubt it if they refuse to ship this to MA dealers though because they refuse to ship the airsoft pistols to an FFL [rolleyes]

I don't really buy the story about certain serial numbers not being allowed in Mass either. I think they may be confused with pre-ban vs. post ban models etc. It's my understanding that most any rifle can be modified to meet ban requirements and brought in to Mass.

I would think a local FFL would take on this project. It would be a good sale for some shop willing to make the effort.

I believe Sig NH sells direct to retailers now without wholesalers. I wouldn't doubt it if they refuse to ship this to MA dealers though because they refuse to ship the airsoft pistols to an FFL [rolleyes]

I don't really buy the story about certain serial numbers not being allowed in Mass either. I think they may be confused with pre-ban vs. post ban models etc. It's my understanding that most any rifle can be modified to meet ban requirements and brought in to Mass.

I would think a local FFL would take on this project. It would be a good sale for some shop willing to make the effort.

It might be a pain in the ass though for them to get it
direct, unless it's doc'ed as an LE sale. Sig might be apprehensive
about sending a "ban" rifle to MA, regardless of what the dealer
intends to actually do with it. It's simply a lot easier to facilitate
this through an out of state dealer, have the mods done, and
then have it transferred in, or drive to the out of state
dealer and pick it up. Considering it's a rifle, any of the above is
do-able.

-Mike

Just got word from SIG, they have no plans on making an AWB compliant 556 anytime soon [sad]

That sucks. Aside from the politics of the ban issue I would think they'd be willing to sell varmint/sniper/accurized versions with fixed stocks and bull barrels. After all, part of the whole attractiveness of the AR platform is customization. They already have the tacti-cool swat setup [rolleyes]. Replacing the stock would be easy but retooling or pinning the barrel starts to get pricey.

Supposedly, they will be displaying new models at the shot show for 2008. Judging by the response from SIG, it doesn't sound like any will be AWB compliant. IMO, it wouldn't be that tough for them to put a limited edition AWB compliant model into production. All they would have to do is use the standard 556 BBL and just not thread the muzzle, which would cancel out a step in production + a part, then pin the stock. Oh well [thinking] [crying]

Here's the SG 550-1, only ban feature is the folder, one of these with a PRS and 556 lower would be kinda neat...
sg550.jpg

So if a gunsmith could be found out of state to modify the rifle to suit MA AWB rules it could be brought into MA - is this correct?

Does anybody know of any good smiths or shops in say NH that would do this type of thing?

IANAL but I believe you legally can:
1) buy any rifle you want from an FFL in say NH or RI
2) go to a friends house in said state and modify it into compliance in their basement/garage
3) bring it back to MA and FA10 it as a complainant rifle

Problems with my theory:
1) find a dealer in said state that will sell to you, knowing your from MA
2) have a good enough friend in said state willing to let you Modify a rifle on/in their property
3) IANAL and this is all just a theory

Discuss amongst yourselves...

I just found this guys site through Gun Brokers state FFL list. He does gunsmithing and has 556 rifles listed on his site for $1204, though they are listed as backordered.

http://www.jrsgunsmithing.com/NEWGUNS.html

I just got on a waiting list for something else, so I will not be contacting him right now. Once I have more funds saved up, I plan on e-mailing him to see if he can do the work.

ETA: I just e-mailed them to see if they can even do it, will post the response once it is received.

Last edited:
AWB Compliant SIG 556 Update...

For those that remember the SIG 556 thread from a few months back...
SIG is making a limited run of AWB compliant SIG 556 rifles, they will be available later this month. I already have one on order. [smile]

For those that remember the SIG 556 thread from a few months back...
SIG is making a limited run of AWB compliant SIG 556 rifles, they will be available later this month. I already have one on order. [smile]

Where did you hear about this and how does one go about getting in on it?

Dennis at First Defense Firearms has two on order - one is mine and I believe the other is still up for grabs. If you want it, give him a call. The last I heard, they will be in around the last week in March or the first week in April +/-.

Back
Top Bottom