MA Non-Res Carrying = Pistol Magazine Capacity Limitation?

NHCraigT

NES Member
I thought I knew the answer to this: Even if you are a non-res MA LTC holder, and live in a state that allows high cap magazines, you are not allowed to carry Hi-caps in MA with you MA NR LTC.

Is this correct?

Example: I had (am currently re-newing) my MA-NR LTC (I live in NH). I have a SA XD-9 SC. I have 16 rd and 10 rd mags. In the past, I have made sure to swap out to 10 rd mags, when going to MA. Is this correct?

There is no diff on what a NR LTC-A can carry vs. a Resident LTC-A.

Thus, no post-ban (9/13/94) hi-cap mags for any gun (unless person is LEO).

Nothing that falls under the AWB (e.g. AR15 pistol is probably NG, I have never checked to verify however) allowed.

So it depends strictly on the DOB of the mags in question.

I thought I knew the answer to this: Even if you are a non-res MA LTC holder, and live in a state that allows high cap magazines, you are not allowed to carry Hi-caps in MA with you MA NR LTC.

Is this correct?

Example: I had (am currently re-newing) my MA-NR LTC (I live in NH). I have a SA XD-9 SC. I have 16 rd and 10 rd mags. In the past, I have made sure to swap out to 10 rd mags, when going to MA. Is this correct?

Not quite correct. You can carry pre-ban large capacity magazines -- magazines manufactured prior to 9/13/94. In your case, I believe there are no pre-ban XD magazines.

Got it,

Thanks alot for the replies.

That's what I thought, and what I was doing before my NR LTC expired in 8/2008.

I finally got around to sending the renewal Appl. in last week. This will be my 3rd year with it, assuming there are no issues (You never know with the peopl's republic of MA).

What about MA Laws pertaining to their current list of "approved firearms".

The list of approved firearms governs what dealers can sell, not what a person can own or possess. You can continue to carry your XD, even though it is not on the list. I just can't buy one from a MA FFL.

The list of approved firearms governs what dealers can sell, not what a person can own or possess. You can continue to carry your XD, even though it is not on the list. I just can't buy one from a MA FFL.

Thanks for the answer. Much appreciated.

Funny, I found some Pre-Ban 17 round Beretta 92 mags that I didn't realize I had. But, that is my night stand gun (It's a Vertec: Has an M3 laser and light combo attached to the rail).

Anyways. Assuming that I'll get my renewal for my MA NR LTC, all my carry pistols are compliant for mags:

SA XD 45 GAP - 10 rd mags (I bought it way before there was even any discussion about a 45 ACP XD - oh well)
SA XD-9 SC - I have 10 rounders
KAHR P45 - under 10 rd mags

....and my preferred carry: Kimber SS Procarry II (w/Internal Extractor) + Wilson Combat 7 & 8 round mags.

With the way the economy, terrorism, and society is going, I plan on carrying this one, with a back up of 2compliant magazines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom