• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Out of state LTC

Moving up to Maine in a few months. I know I have to surrender my MA LTC like a gud boi and tell all the powers in charge of my move and then 're-apply' for the privilege to carry in MA when visiting again at $100 a year. Do you people up north in the freer states NH/VT/ME know - do you need a resident 'in-state' LTC in order to get the MA out of state LTC? It looks like it's mostly constitutional carry up there but Maine does offer a state LTC if you want to carry at Acadia and some other places.

Moving up to Maine in a few months. I know I have to surrender my MA LTC like a gud boi and tell all the powers in charge of my move and then 're-apply' for the privilege to carry in MA when visiting again at $100 a year. Do you people up north in the freer states NH/VT/ME know - do you need a resident 'in-state' LTC in order to get the MA out of state LTC? It looks like it's mostly constitutional carry up there but Maine does offer a state LTC if you want to carry at Acadia and some other places.
I can't answer your question with a citation, but I know many people in ME who have MA Non-res LTCs and no Maine LTC...BUT all of them previously held MA LTCs when they lived here. Remember, the MA HB that's being reconciled in committee did away with non-res LTCs as it was originally written IIRC.

Not only does a Maine LTC allow you to carry in Acadia and some other places, it also removes the duty to inform on traffic stops, and gets rid of a pesky (little known) school zone item (that I'm not even sure is enforced and may no longer be on the books).

The law requires you file a change of address notification. It does not require you surrender the LTC.

Seekonk PD sent my buddy a letter demanding he surrender it when he moved to CT. He mailed his LTC back to Seekonk PD lol.
Your buddy should’ve called a lawyer. This is why you ask attorneys for legal advice and not cops. Don’t make that same mistake your buddy did. Smart people learn from their own mistakes, wise people learn from the mistakes of others.

You don't need a license from your new state. If you previously had a MA LTC, then you get out of having to take the training requirement. This is noted on the instructions to the form. They do make it a total PITA to apply every year and you need to start minimum 90 days in advance of the expiration date. The expiration date is not triggered off your birthday but is just the random date each year that they approve your NR LTC. This may all change with the new laws being worked through currently. The Senate bill did not have the crazy non-res LTC do-away that the House bill had. The whole thing makes no sense to me from a constitutional standard. Full faith and credit and all that.

my questions are please, wouldn't the change of address, in this case to an out of state residence, render the massachusetts ltc invalid anyway? if you're packing up for a lock, stock and barrel move out of state i'm not seeing any point in keeping it anyway. if you are thinking you would still be able to carry on it when you visited back here, all i'm seeing is if you got jammed up, you'd still be carrying without that god damned state of massachusetts permission slip and now that jam is double downed. would that conviction be a felony?

lastly, why consult a lawyer if they ask you to surrender the ltc? lawyers advice don't come cheap, is it worth 2-3 hundred dollars to be able to keep a ltc that may have only a couple years left before renewal. ain't met a lawyer yet who works free. even here, i don't remember a lawyer who's ever volunteered advice even on the most mundane of questions. i may be wrong, if so, excuse please.

ok, i'm dumber than that bag of rocks. i just reread the thread again and realized i was misunderstanding the whole point. i'll keep my post up anyway just in case, maybe i'm all f***ed up this morning. in that case, excuse please a second time.

The law requires you file a change of address notification. It does not require you surrender the LTC.
I did neither 12 years ago and nobody has said Boo.

I'll also never set foot in Massachusetts again as long as I'm still breathing.

Seekonk PD sent my buddy a letter demanding he surrender it when he moved to CT. He mailed his LTC back to Seekonk PD lol.
Yeah. Seekonk PD was wrong and can eabod. If a town is concerned about it, they can suspend or revoke the license after the coa is received.

When I moved from Ct to Ma I was able to keep my Ct LTC. All I had to do was inform CSP of my Ma address. When I renewed it the ID# never changed

25 year Maine non resident permit holder that was changed to resident for the fee of 2.00 IIRC 2 years ago.
When I moved out I notified the PD and state.

I ignored the town clerks bullshit on paying fines and fees for not registering my dog on time cause Covid and she sent me a form 3 times to remove my name off the voters list.
That was the extent of my non compliance.

my questions are please, wouldn't the change of address, in this case to an out of state residence, render the massachusetts ltc invalid anyway?
No, but it could be used as the basis for revocation.

Interestingly, revocation for failure to file a change of address is the ONLY reason for revocation that does not trigger loss of the protection against criminal prosecution for carry on an expired LTC. (it becomes a civil fine only offense).

If one does choose to surrender a license if demanded upon moving, it is best to have a couple of notarized "true and correct" copies of the LTC made first, in case you ever need to prove you were licensed to apply the aforementioned exemption. Also keep the surrender letter as further evidence of being licensed in case the state conveniently misplaces the record of the license being issued.

No, but it could be used as the basis for revocation.

Interestingly, revocation for failure to file a change of address is the ONLY reason for revocation that does not trigger loss of the protection against criminal prosecution for carry on an expired LTC. (it becomes a civil fine only offense).

If one does choose to surrender a license if demanded upon moving, it is best to have a couple of notarized "true and correct" copies of the LTC made first, in case you ever need to prove you were licensed to apply the aforementioned exemption. Also keep the surrender letter as further evidence of being licensed in case the state conveniently misplaces the record of the license being issued.
🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

my questions are please, wouldn't the change of address, in this case to an out of state residence, render the massachusetts ltc invalid anyway? if you're packing up for a lock, stock and barrel move out of state i'm not seeing any point in keeping it anyway. if you are thinking you would still be able to carry on it when you visited back here, all i'm seeing is if you got jammed up, you'd still be carrying without that god damned state of massachusetts permission slip and now that jam is double downed. would that conviction be a felony?

lastly, why consult a lawyer if they ask you to surrender the ltc? lawyers advice don't come cheap, is it worth 2-3 hundred dollars to be able to keep a ltc that may have only a couple years left before renewal. ain't met a lawyer yet who works free. even here, i don't remember a lawyer who's ever volunteered advice even on the most mundane of questions. i may be wrong, if so, excuse please.

ok, i'm dumber than that bag of rocks. i just reread the thread again and realized i was misunderstanding the whole point. i'll keep my post up anyway just in case, maybe i'm all f***ed up this morning. in that case, excuse please a second time.
We've had 28 threads about this it doesn't render anything invalid eops does absolutely nothing upon a COA notification. Apparently they'll even put your foreign address in the licensing file. 🤣

There are issuing authorities in mass that tell people that their license is valid until expiration even after the person tells them they're moving out of the state.

My son just applied for an out of state LTC, was licensed in MA, moved to NH nine months ago.
He got a letter back stating his appt is scheduled for February 2025.
The good news is his existing (old) license is still valid assuming it hasn't expired. Hopefully he didn't do anything dumb like a bunch of other people I know that shred their Mass LTC when they leave..... 🤣

if you need to keep your old ltc, don't tell 'em shit. if anyone inquires, say you're on a temporary, out of state work assignment. you'll be back eventually!

Back
Top Bottom