Magazines at the Ready

I was curious how many of you keep magazines with ammo in them, for long periods of time. This question has more to do with conserving the life of magazine springs, not preparedness.

I typically go to the range once a month and used to keep magazines loaded at all times (1 in firearm and 1 extra). But now I alternate magazines each week so the other can get some "rest" (1 in firearm and other empty when i am not carrying it)

I am curious if i am over thinking or if this is a commom practice.

My understanding is that working the spring (loading and shooting/unloading) is what will cause the spring to wear out. Not leaving it loaded.

Asked and answered here, several times.

Consensus is that stressing the springs occurs when they're repeatedly compressed and slackened, not when they remain one way or the other. So keeping them loaded is no worse than keeping them empty: repeatedly loading and unloading them is what stresses the springs.

Springs wear out when you load and unload them. Just sitting under load doesn't wear out your springs. I've got magazines that I've had loaded for decades. They still work.

Rotating your magazines won't increase the life of your mag springs. In fact, it will reduce the life of your mag springs.

2 schools of thought on this one..

1. It's only repeated compression and re-compression that will make a spring "take a set." So no effect. Keep them all loaded.

2. Yes to #1 minus the "only" part. You have to factor in time, it will eventually have an effect. How much time and at what rate?.. Too many variables / no clear answer.

Personally Ive always kept everything loaded, i haven't experienced any negative effects.
Time will tell

The point in my post above about valve springs: Think of how many times the valves springs in your engine are compressed and decompressed per minute while you are strolling along at 65mph. As others posted in reply, think of how much time your suspension springs sit under pressure while your car is idle. I don't think that there is much truth in the myth that magazines "fail" by being kept loaded or even by being cycled continuously.

I plan to settle this debate once and for all. I have two 33 round Glock magazines that I loaded with mixed ammo in 2010 and have been storing in less than ideal conditions since then. I had planned to wait until 2020 to shoot them but I might do it before then because the suspense is killing me. I will be sure to post the results here.

I remember reading an article on someone that inherited a WW I 1911 with a couple of magazines that were fully loaded and not been fired/unloaded from the day it was taken home by the author's grandfather when discharged from the army. They sat loaded for something 80 +years. The author took the pistol out and fired it both mags functioned flawlessly.

yeah...spring steel is good to go. you really don't need to worry about such things until it becomes an issue...which might never happen in your lifetime. buy some extra springs for your grandkids to use.

i've only had a few fail on me in the Marine Corps...because...well...Marines.

'nuf said on that one.

The magazines for my duty gun have been loaded 24/7 for about five years now. The only time they get unloaded is when I shoot the ammo for quals or practice, at which point they're reloaded within a few minutes.

Just in case I also took the wheel off
559c308096bb1894ba7a00986361e56d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a shit ton of mags, I've used every one of them at the range to make sure they all work properly which is a good thing since I have about 50 steel surplus AK mags, a few of them didn't work so I took them out of my stash. I always keep 2 AK and 2 AR mags loaded and 3 pistol Mags as well.

Back
Top Bottom