• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine bear hunting

If baiting is cheating, Then why is it that at my deer bait stations ( I am allowed two here in New Hampshire) that the deer only show up after legal shooting hours?
I also trap and use bait sets and on some animals there is a week to two weeks before I make a catch on that target species.
So baiting is not like going to the grocery store. Better still it is not like feeding pigeons.
If it weren't for baiting, my freezer wouldn't be full of deer meat every year! Screw "it's not sporting" it fills my freezer. Most of the people that I know that get all hot and bothered about me baiting deer on MY property, think it tastes "gamey" and prefer their veggies and tasteless veal, anyway!

Regulating the taking of wildlife has been a traditional function of government in this country since the pilgrims, In fact in the Massachusetts Constitution there is a article that requires the state to manage the natural resources.
So the Government does have business in regulating trapping, to manage the resource for its most potential and worth. What we are dealing with in this case is letting emotional, uneducated folks in regards to resource management, the ability to change the law regardless of what the obvious results will be.

As to the neg rep, like I said I was full filling a promise.
The regulating of harvesting of game is of the few areas I feel government regulation is desirable. If it were not regulated we all certainly would not be able to "share" that resource as some would take everything they could. Actually a guy on here a couple of months ago replied to a post asking if he could shoot squirrels on his own property anytime. He replied "your property if an animal is on it you have the tight to shoot it". I responded with what my knowledge of the law and that is the property (land), may be yours but the game animals walking on it or flying over it are a public resource and all bag,season, and hunting implement regulations apply. He didn't like my answer. Anywhooooooo.......if the fish and game laws allow it.......my opinion is there is a reason they allow it ........and one should not feel guilty about using it.

Anyone who is traveling or living Maine should make a copy of this so that they can check it when planning on patronizing one of those on the list.

I have it and I have personally confronted several...they dance around saying they dont want to ban hunting just baiting. Then I ask why not they dobot with deer? They say Oh really? Then I ask why support hsus who wants all huntong and fishing banned...they go blank. I confonted one of the reps, he almost ran away... a buddy of mine is on twitter and weekly points them out. On that notw im off to set up a few bait sites thia weekend and prep my traps! !!

Sent from the blind

If this referendum passes, what are the options for repealing it? Can the legislature repeal it and send it to the governor for his signature? Or, do we have to wait two more years (at least) to put a repeal measure on the next ballot? Does anybody know?

I seem to recall Dukakis in Massachusetts said he would disregard the results of a question on the death penalty in the mid-80's because he opposes the death penalty. Is that an option in ME? HSUS would probably just sue the governor at that point.

The Sportsman's Alliance of Maine is soliciting another $250,000 to complete its ad buys for this referendum. Can you help out?

It looks like the ban on bear hunting is defeated 52.5% - 47.5% according to the Portland paper's website. My thanks to everyone who supported Maine bear hunting and the Maine bear hunting community. Thanks again.

HSUS already stated they will be back shortlyn no good bastards. Join USSA or SAM they really help a lot. This fight cost almost 2 million compared to the almost 4 million HSUS spent. 97% from outside mostly from DC from asshats like Joe Trippi and company. If they got bear trapping, all trapping would be next
They lie about supporting fair chase as well..real idiots they are

Sent from the blind

71montess,

I had the same thought. Any Mainers on this forum - how about you contact your representative or SAM and ask them to change the referendum process to leave scientific management decisions with the Fish & Game department? Politics and petitions shouldn't have a part in these decisions.

Rep308,

I'll bet you'll be hooked after you see the first one walk in. The adrenalin rush is unbelievable, at least for me. I have heard cubs make noise a couple of times but have never heard a mature bear come in. One second the woods are empty, next second a bear is in view and you probably never heard a thing. There's a reason they're nicknamed 'black smoke'. Thanks for considering it.

71montess,

I had the same thought. Any Mainers on this forum - how about you contact your representative or SAM and ask them to change the referendum process to leave scientific management decisions with the Fish & Game department? Politics and petitions shouldn't have a part in these decisions.

Its been talked about by SAM and USSA for a while. However like a previous poster pointed out we dont have much choice other than try and overturn it later. We need to pass a sportsmans act or something...this is the 2nd time these *******s have done this and it empties our accounts.

Sent from the blind

I cant believe those asholes from HSUS are at it again in maine. Wtf the DC rich have nothing better to dothan bother hunters

They won't stop until they get what they want. They are total arseholes and always will be. one way to target them is to not support ANY of the so called animal shelters and tell why. Tar them with the same brush and for most cases you won't be wrong. Bad mouth them at every turn. Of course there are folks here that will not understand this, as is does not effect them.
Im disappointed we cannot get a hunters/ trappers bill of rights into the works. I did stop using a vet that supported these aholes. Told him he wants to mess with my lifestyle I will mess with his. Back to having suppers and fundraisers again, rather focus of hunting and trapping[emoji35]

This was posted on the National Trappers Association web page, Don't know why this happen, I hope to find out this weekend.

"• Maine Trappers Association President Brian Cogill has informed NTA the HSUS has made an abrupt turnaround and withdrawn their attack against Maine sportsmen regarding the Bear Referendum. No explanation was provided by HSUS. "

Was out with some folks last weekend discussing HSUS and they were saying that they indeed withdrew the total hunting ban BUT what they are doing now is going to propose a new ballot initiative targeting just trapping and hounding. The idea is to split Rifle/Bow bear hunters from the trapping/hounding crowd. I have seen some bear hunters actually leaning towards this and here is why. The way they have the season split is hunters get 2 weeks of Rifle/Bow hunting and then they overlap when hounding starts. Instead of the IWF moving the hounding out 2 weeks so the baiting time is not overlapped, they now risk a divide in the hunter population. So their strategy is to take us down by dividing us now. They are a pain in ass but they aint stupid.

As to the previous posting, I spoke with several folks at the rendezvous that have contacts with Maine Trappers Assoc. from what I was told, That Maine made some law changes about using paid canvassers to get signatures for initiative petitions, as well as requiring that the signers being from the entire state and not just the lower southeast area.

As they understand it, this made getting this issue on the ballot much more difficult. If any of the folks from Maine that post here have more, That would be great.

This is great news. I hadn't had a chance to follow the issue much this year due to some health issues but the issue of another HSUS referendum never came up around the dinner table at bear camp this year. Now I know why. I left a small donation with the guide for SAM anyway. I was sure HSUS' strategy of divide & conquer would work & my goal of hunting bear with dogs was gone, at least in Maine. Looks like I can relax a little bit. Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom