MAK-90 Upgrade Advice

Greetings all...

This is my first post on NES -- just joined after receiving my LTC-A with T&H restriction in October. Used that to purchase a sweet Ruger 1911 which I'm very happy with, but that's not why I'm posting.

I also have a Norinco MAK-90, stamped receiver with rear slant-cut. It has literally sat in the closet for just about twenty years, at which point I pulled it out, brought it to the range and fell in love all over again. So now that the warm feelings for my rifle are again strong, I'm looking into making some modifications to it. More specifically, I'm thinking to do the following:

1) TWS Dog Leg Scope Rail, Gen II
http://texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html

2) Slide Fire stock
http://www.slidefirestock.com/ak-slide-fire-stock

(reading some posts re: slant-cut Norincos, I thought I might need the following to make it work, though it looks to need some dremel love to fit properly)

3) VEPR Receiver Block
http://riflestocks.com/store/product33.html

So that's the idea. Now the questions:

1) Is this dumb stuff to want to do to an AK?

2) Anyone have experience with making the Dogleg and SlideFire play together? Bonus points if it's on a MAK-90...

3) I know that I run into 922r compliance issues once I remove that awful thumbhole stock. I'm hoping someone can look at my dream list and just say "Well, your list is 3 US-made parts already, so once you replace uppers/lowers and add the TWS rear peep-sight, there's your 6 compliance parts right there." I know just enough about this topic to get in trouble, but not enough to avoid it.

I figured I would ask folks who know more than I do, before I start ordering things off the web. In the end, I just want a solid, dependable rifle. Can the NES community give me some pointers so I don't end up regretting not just leaving it in original config? Thanks in advance -- looking forward to your responses.

neither sight, receiver cover or receiver block are compliance parts, so don't count that stuff in.
replace handguards, slide fire stock is US made has incorporated grip and stock so you probably *could* count it as 2 more parts. so you got three already
then you can through in Tapco G2 FCG and be fully compliant.
i myself for a good measure would through in US-made piston as well.

dogleg by TWS is a good rail, a bit pricey for an AK but good quality stuff.
slidefire stock wouldn't have any issues with it.
doing to your AK whatever you want is completely natural drive, don't seek peoples approval and do whatever heck yout sole desires. all changes are reversible and you are not hurting potential value of the gun

Last edited:
removing the chinese trigger group is like cutting the nuts off of a bull. You put a tapco FCG in there and it'll fell pretty good, but not nearly as good as the chinese trigger group that was in there.

The reason why people "fall in love" with chinese AKs is largely due to the smooth trigger feel. If you're going to **** with that, you might as well get a WASR to molest the shit out of. Because that's what you're doing here. They even have receiver scope rails so you can attach all kinds of fun red dot glowing thingies to them.

replace handguards, slide fire stock is US made has incorporated grip and stock so you probably *could* count it as 2 more parts. so you got three already

Good info, thanks.

removing the chinese trigger group is like cutting the nuts off of a bull.

This is what I've read in countless places about this rifle. that, plus i just like how it feels, kinda discourages me from doing anything there. But to achieve compliance and not mess with the TCG, what are my easy options? My high cap mags are chinese, so no love there either.

flintoid; said:
so you can attach all kinds of fun red dot glowing thingies to them.

Honestly I just want an optic setup that makes sense... AK is much less good after about 250yds, but I know my eye can't even see that far well enough to hit something and miss something else. What would you recommend?

+1 on the Tapco and US Piston. Yes, the Mak 90 trigger group is great, but it also counts as 3 foreign parts, really limiting what you can do. The tapco is only slightly worse than the original group. Add the Piston, and you are pretty well set to go, with US parts. Slant cut, adds a bit more difficulty to your efforts, though......

Regardless, enjoy your MAK!

Aside from mounting a side rail for traditional Ak scope mount(may or may not hurt value, hope not) after spending more on crap to stick on my Ak's that didn't work only 2 things helped for accuracy.
Williams rear peep sight. Its ok and works for me. If your ammo and gun are decent you should be able to hit 18" steel plate out distances you can see.
by far what I liked the best is http://www.northridgeinc.com/store/index.cfm/c119/i685 this style rear sight. I find and scope mount to be to high for me to get a good mount on the gun and be comfortable behind the scope.
Now if the could make a peep sight with mechanical windage/ elevation to replace the rear sight leaf it would be good..
125.00 tech sight didn't do it for me...my mak90 came with the black fiberglass stock which for me is more comfortable than the thumbhole stock or standard Ak furniture.

Back
Top Bottom