making phosphorescent sights

Just wondered if anyone here has converted their sights from white dot to phosphorescent luminous sights by applying phosphorescent luminous paint to the dots? Seems like a very inexpensive procedure when compared to purchasing new night-sites.

I came across a website that has such paint and listed it as follows:

Rifle sight
Procedure:
Easy-to-apply phosphorescent luminous paint greatly enhances sights on rifles, shotguns or pistols, especially in low-light situations.

Glow pigment is activated by brief exposure to light and can be recharged indefinitely. Meets military specs. Highly water-, weather- and oil-resistant. There's 30 or more applications per 1/2 oz paint or powder.

Advantages:
**Accurate Sight Alignment
**Shoot tighter groups
**Improved sight picture

The Glow paint is very bright when initially charged by light, but only lasts minutes. Good for IDPA / USPSA, no light or low light stages. Works best when applied over a base of white.

IMHO-This is not a replacement for Tritium night sights.

The Glow paint is very bright when initially charged by light, but only lasts minutes. Good for IDPA / USPSA, no light or low light stages. Works best when applied over a base of white.

IMHO-This is not a replacement for Tritium night sights.

The website claims that the paint is "Commercial Grade Paint" with an after glow - 12 Plus hours

The website claims that the paint is "Commercial Grade Paint" with an after glow - 12 Plus hours

I wouldn't put much faith in such a claim.

And before anyone asks, no you can't buy tritium-laced paint for DIY tritium sights.

I wouldn't put much faith in such a claim.

And before anyone asks, no you can't buy tritium-laced paint for DIY tritium sights.

What's nice about Tritium is that it does not depend on external light to charge it, it is self luminating.

Tritium-laced paint can be had outside the USA.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom