Making your own gun

What would be the legal requirements for making your own gun? Not to sell, just personal use. My apologies if this has been covered.​

assuming that you have your FID/LTC thingie to posses a firearm, build away, it's not mother Russia where you can get 5 years for doing it. There are plenty of resources on building your own from 80% receiver and parts.

In mAss, you have to register it with FA10, but that's when you complete it. The legal status of completed is somewhat vague unless you fire it and then it's complete ... IANAL, hopefully other may have more insightful info.

As has been said, if you live in MA, and are appropriately licensed...

FA-10 within 7 days of completion (i.e. "capable of discharging a shot or bullet").

Federally, firearms manufactured for personal use do not require a serial number.

If ownership is subsequently transferred, it must be marked pursuant to 27 CFR 478.92

just watch out for any " constructive possession" issues.

There are kits out there, IIRC "80% Kits" that you can buy and do the finish work on to make them into a completed weapon.

I know that is the case for 1911's and AK-47's. The AK kits are pretty much a flat stamped piece of sheet metal that need some finishing work like holes drilled, then you slap it into a bending jig, perform a few operations, and you have a AK lower ready to finish.

There are all sorts of people out there with "mini mills" or old surplus machines that are banging out 1911 frames for personal use. Once you start selling them in any quantity, you will run afoul of the Feds, but you can serialize any you make for personal use and sell them legally so long as they are properly marked.

Personally I'd love to build a 1911 that way

Back
Top Bottom