• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Manchester Firing Line

I went up today with my wife and 12 year daughter. My daughter has been with us a few times but we could not get her to shoot. Well today thanks to the guys behind the counter talking to her, she decided to shoot! I rented a .380 for her, and she also shot my wifes Glock. A BIG thank you to Rob ( Range officer ) who was a HUGE help and took some time to go over the basics with her. It was a fun day for all. All the staff we interacted with today were exceptional!

I think I created a monster as my daughter already asked when are we going back. [smile]

I was there Wednesday morning for a little range time. What a great place to shoot. It's a very clean range and the employees are helpful. Looking forward to the next visit.

Jim,
the fact that my wife, who is extremely new to firearms, doesn't have any fears of coming to your range alone says alot about your facility. I'm grateful. Truefully, I don't know if she would have felt the same way about the old place; I don't know.

My wife and I go to MFLR a lot. We just started shooting last year and the staff there make her very comfortable and she's turned into a pretty good shot. We took a class there a couple of weeks ago and the instructor told us we were the best husband-wife team he'd seen. Honorable mention to Tim on the range but everyone there is top notch and very professional.

My wife was afraid of guns before, not anymore.

My wife and I go to MFLR a lot. We just started shooting last year and the staff there make her very comfortable and she's turned into a pretty good shot. We took a class there a couple of weeks ago and the instructor told us we were the best husband-wife team he'd seen. Honorable mention to Tim on the range but everyone there is top notch and very professional.

My wife was afraid of guns before, not anymore.

I don't know... I think my wife and I were the best husband/wife combo they've seen. My rounds shreaded the center X, and she hit the sweet spots pretty well, except with my 1911 which she hated.

I was at MFLR on Sat and tried to purchase a preban rifle but they wouldn’t sell it to me because I am a Mass resident. I corresponded with the owner Jim, who wasn’t at the store at the time, and he was kind enough to look into it but he wrongly concluded that he couldn’t sell a preban rifle to a Mass resident.

They seem like nice folks but don’t go there expecting to purchase anything preban if you’re from Mass.

I was at MFLR on Sat and tried to purchase a preban rifle but they wouldn’t sell it to me because I am a Mass resident. I corresponded with the owner Jim, who wasn’t at the store at the time, and he was kind enough to look into it but he wrongly concluded that he couldn’t sell a preban rifle to a Mass resident.

They seem like nice folks but don’t go there expecting to purchase anything preban if you’re from Mass.

I'll have to convince Jim to sit thru my MA gun law seminar to educate him. [wink]

Unfortunately not possible because as anyone who knows Jim knows that he can't sit/stand in one place for that long. [laugh]

I had a similar experience when trying to purchase a shotgun. It was kind of funny and sad at the same time. The fact that he has to jump through hoops to make sure he can sell me a shotgun is unbelievable. I suppose the solution is to move out of MA. In the end he was able to speak with Carl at FS and determined he would be in the clear.

I had a similar experience when trying to purchase a shotgun. It was kind of funny and sad at the same time. The fact that he has to jump through hoops to make sure he can sell me a shotgun is unbelievable. I suppose the solution is to move out of MA. In the end he was able to speak with Carl at FS and determined he would be in the clear.

I can understand a dealer asking other dealers about the laws . . . but that is the absolutely WORST thing to do if you want accurate info.

One of my first slides in my MA Gun Law Seminar is that Dealers, LEOs and Instructors are the three worst purveyors of INACCURATE information when it comes to MA gun law!!!

[thinking]

I had a similar experience when I tried to pick up a AK in 5.45x39. The rifle had no evil features on it, but the clerk was unsure so I wasn't able to buy it.

I was able to buy a Saiga in 5.45x39 from there very painlessly about 8 months after so it worked out in the long run.

Can you really blame them though? The Ma gun laws are so bad and confusing why would any NH dealer want to risk their license to make about $50?

How is the store breaking the law? Its the buyer that breaks the law when they are going back into a state with a non compliant rifle.

How is the store breaking the law? Its the buyer that breaks the law when they are going back into a state with a non compliant rifle.

Have you ever read the conditions under what BATFE requires of an FFL???

There is a reason why they send all FFLs that thick book on all the state laws regarding purchase/possession of firearms.

BATFE DEMANDS that the FFL ensure that possession of a gun is legal for the BUYER in both the state of sale AND the state the buyer LIVES IN! So even if you have a Summer/Winter home in NH and intend to leave an evil-configuration AR at said NH home, if you are a MA subject, the FFL can NOT legally sell said gun to that MA subject! [Said MA subject may build/rebuild the AR to be evil and leave it in NH, but can't buy from a dealer that way.]

Can you really blame them though? The Ma gun laws are so bad and confusing why would any NH dealer want to risk their license to make about $50?

There is no risk to them as they're not breaking any laws whatsoever in selling an MA resident (with a license) a rifle that is preban.

I can see them perhaps wanting "provenance" on the rifle (eg, paperwork showing its manufacture date or whatever) but that'd be about the most they would ever need to cover their backside.

I can certainly understand, however, them not wanting to deal with the BS, considering like 40 something other states
in the US don't have this problem.

-Mike

Last edited:
Have you ever read the conditions under what BATFE requires of an FFL???

There is a reason why they send all FFLs that thick book on all the state laws regarding purchase/possession of firearms.

BATFE DEMANDS that the FFL ensure that possession of a gun is legal for the BUYER in both the state of sale AND the state the buyer LIVES IN! So even if you have a Summer/Winter home in NH and intend to leave an evil-configuration AR at said NH home, if you are a MA subject, the FFL can NOT legally sell said gun to that MA subject! [Said MA subject may build/rebuild the AR to be evil and leave it in NH, but can't buy from a dealer that way.]

Did now know that. Either way, the rifle in question was compliant.

Last week I spotted a Rem 870 tactical knock-off at MFL for $200, in case anyone is interested. Jim told me that he sold a lot of them and one customer put a lot of shells thru his, all flawlessly.

Definitely worth a look-see for that price if you are in the market for a pump shotgun.

Info on this shotgun can be found here:

http://www.iacshotguns.com/982pump.html

Another aside... for those wondering.... the big sign is up now. If you're trying to find MFL, and you miss the sign then I don't know what to tell you. [laugh]

-Mike

Another aside... for those wondering.... the big sign is up now. If you're trying to find MFL, and you miss the sign then I don't know what to tell you. [laugh]

-Mike

Mike,

That depends on what direction you are coming from on Brown Ave. We came up from the other end (curved road and lots of trees) and I didn't see the sign until after we left the shop and headed to the Interstate.

Mike,

That depends on what direction you are coming from on Brown Ave. We came up from the other end (curved road and lots of trees) and I didn't see the sign until after we left the shop and headed to the Interstate.

True enough, but if I was going to make a guess 95% of the people who have never been to MFL before are not going to be coming from that direction, though... they're going to be coming off 293/101 like everyone else does.

-Mike

Finally joined MFL last sunday. Bypassing the titanic line and having the members range all to myself for a bit was SUPER NICE. Apparently the booths are wider on the members range too? That's a huge plus with a rifle case!

I hadn't been up here in a little bit but my move is finally settling down and its much closer than it used to be. It really is a great place to shoot. Good ventilation, extremely friendly and helpful (but not overbearing) staff, nice range, can shoot magnums and my AK inside....what more could I ask?

I still want to join an outdoor range as well for rifle, but I am really psyched to be a member of MFL now. I figure the ability to reserve a lane in advance will really help once the indoor shooting season starts.

My wife bought me a MFL t-shirt for my birthday. I got it last week. I like it a lot. I'm pretty sure it's an M60 on the back but I don't remember seeing pics of them with a round? hand grip under the barrel. Maybe it's something different; but I don't care. Nice shirt.

My wife bought me a MFL t-shirt for my birthday. I got it last week. I like it a lot. I'm pretty sure it's an M60 on the back but I don't remember seeing pics of them with a round? hand grip under the barrel. Maybe it's something different; but I don't care. Nice shirt.

post a photo of the shirt

Ok, hybrid of different weapons... still a cool shirt. And my 1911 fits just fine underneath it. Double plus.

Back
Top Bottom