• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Firearms School offering classes in SPANISH?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukefan70

NES Member
Anybody who is on their email list will have gotten an email announcing a new class: Mass Basic Firearms Safety Classes taught in Spanish. I have taken several classes at Mass Firearms School over the last few years and they are very good and very passionate about what they do. However I am very disappointed in this and sent the following email to them about it. I'm not saying one way or the other whether I will go back there, and let each person make their own decision about that. If this bothers you as well, I would encourage you to send a polite email or make a polite phone call telling them that.

Their email is [email protected] and their phone number is (800)-308-6212.

The email:

MFS:

I want to say I’m surprised and disappointed that you would offer any class in Spanish. You have the legal experts, but it seems pretty plain to me that the right to keep and bear arms is only acknowledged to U.S. citizens in the Constitution. Whether that is technically true or not, any person here legally, citizen or otherwise, should be able to speak and understand ENGLISH. This is even more important when dealing with firearms, as a FID/ LTC holder should be able to clearly communicate with people around them or police officers should the need arise. Many things and places are now offering Spanish alternatives, from the RMV to other private entities to U.S. citizenship programs that let people who can’t speak English through anyway. These are bad enough. But I would expect a more principled stand from an organization that has become well-respected in the MA gun community. Because all politics and legalities aside, that is what I see this as: a matter of principle affecting all responsible people in the gun community. It’s not about if there’s a market for it, or if it CAN be legally done, it’s SHOULD it be done. As someone who has taken several of your classes, I hope I have expressed my disappointment clearly and politely.

Sincerely

I've taken classes there and also received this e-mail. Honestly, It doesn't bother me at all.

If I were a native Spanish speaker I would prefer a class taught in my native language simply for that fact that Massachusetts laws and regulations are confusing enough... let alone in a second language.

Just because the class is taught in spanish, doesn't mean that the people taking don't speak any English or aren't citizens.

I'm all for proper fire-arms training, in any language.

I've taken classes there and also received this e-mail. Honestly, It doesn't bother me at all.

If I were a native Spanish speaker I would prefer a class taught in my native language simply for that fact that Massachusetts laws and regulations are confusing enough... let alone in a second language.

Just because the class is taught in spanish, doesn't mean that the people taking don't speak any English or aren't citizens.

I'm all for proper fire-arms training, in any language.

Yup.

Mike

The thread about this earlier today went back and forth pretty intensly i'd say a good 50/50 debate. should be interesting to see how this thread pans out [popcorn]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom