Massachusetts firearms instructor renewal

steve8140

NES Member
I moved to NH almost three years ago and just got a letter from the MA State Police reminding me to renew my certification.

I have not given it much thought and have not given any classes in a few years now. Is it worth renewing? It’s only $10 to renew but I believe there were some updates and a GOAL class about changes to teaching and material and the form requests UP TO DATE documentation.

Anyone familiar with it?

I don’t plan on teaching based on where I am located and lack of interested people in my area.

Something to be said for keeping a means to make some money and have 'certification of expertise' up to date when the barrier to entry is low. I mean, billing for one session for one client is ~10x the cost to renew?

I beleave inorder to be able to renew you will need to have a Massachussetts LTC and you will also need a Massachusetts LTC to issue the certificate. I could be incorrect, the best thing to do is contact the Massachusetts State Police for clarification.

Maybe you missed the part about me not teaching the last few years and not sure what updates there were or are required.

Honestly I don’t think it’s even worth renewing unless I can get some benefits from it and teaching just so people can get their LTC doesn’t do it for me anymore. I’ll keep teaching family, friends and acquaintances for free and fun but I don’t care to deal with the everyday retard and their bullshit.

I’ve had my non-resident LTC for a few years now.

What’s the deal with the updates training?
This is winging it a bit. Jon Green developed a class on how to teach the basics and impressed MSP enough to make that or (I think) some equivalent as a requirement to re-new your MSP teaching cert.

I'm in Hudson, NH and only ~6 miles from the MA iron curtain. You'd think that people living so close would want to be aware of MA anti-gun felonies for everything. Nope, there isn't any interest up here in my Mass Gun Law Seminar either.

This is winging it a bit. Jon Green developed a class on how to teach the basics and impressed MSP enough to make that or (I think) some equivalent as a requirement to re-new your MSP teaching cert.

I'm in Hudson, NH and only ~6 miles from the MA iron curtain. You'd think that people living so close would want to be aware of MA anti-gun felonies for everything. Nope, there isn't any interest up here in my Mass Gun Law Seminar either.
Wait...seriously!!! Some of us have been teaching classes multiple times a month for many years now and we will now be required to take a basic course from Jon Green (no offense to him) to get a renewal? That is f***ed up.

And to top it off I have been trying to get a class approved by the MA State Police for 3 years now and they still have not started reviewing any new classes. But they have added another requirement for us to be able to teach?!?! This state sucks balls.

Last edited:
It is just a proposal as part of 4420 (with much more bad stuff in it). The way I read it was not taking a course from Jon Green, but the state adding to the list of what instructors must cover in class including live fire.

It is just a proposal as part of 4420 (with much more bad stuff in it). The way I read it was not taking a course from Jon Green, but the state adding to the list of what instructors must cover in class including live fire.
This has been around for a lot longer than even the "listening tour". I remember talking with Michaela Dunne when she was managing FRB about this requirement, and that had to be 3 or 4 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom