Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

i dont know any members to my knowlege and i need to join a range asap how long is
process and do u need to get sponsored in

It tends to depend on how many people are applying at the same time as you. Drop by the office Wed nights or Sun mornings when the office is open. Ask them about it and also ask for a tour.

You don't need a sponsor.

My wife and I recently went through the process. You have to go there on a Sunday morning. You turn in your completed application forms, get your picture taken, and pay the yearly fee. They give you a copy of the club/range rules to study. During this visit you also make appointments for 2 future dates. The first date is to schedule a date to take a quiz on said club/range rules, and to do the shooting test with .22 revolver, .22 semi-auto pistol, and .22 rifle. This scheduled date could be 1-2 weeks out or whatever depending on what they have open. The second scheduled date is for the interview, and to get your keyfob to enter the various ranges/clubhouse. Again this could be several weeks out depending on who has previously signed up. Good luck!

You don't need a sponsor. You fill out an app and pay them. Then you go to an orientation where you take a written test and shooting test. After that, you go through an interview with a member (at a later date). If all goes well, you're in.

Not sure how long wait is, but I'm new and had to wait about 6 or so weeks to get in for the the orientation. Might be less now, not sure.

I have a few questions on qualifying on the long ranges...

1. Do you use MRA guns or your own?
2. Which guns are used for the test (w/ or w/o scope)?
3. Can you shoot from the bench during the test?
4. What are the test requirements for passing?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a few questions on qualifying on the long ranges...

1. Do you use MRA guns or your own?
2. Which guns are used for the test (w/ or w/o scope)?
3. Can you shoot from the bench during the test?
4. What are the test requirements for passing?

Thanks!

1. Your own gun
2. Your choice, no preference or any rules enforced.
3. Yes.
4. Hit the paper target & don't shoot your eyes out.

Sent it from iPhone 5 LTE

Went to shoot at MRA last night around 9pm and had to wait for an Action Shooting event to finish up on Loeb. Someone mentioned that there is Action Shooting the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month. Just curious what the format is, looked like they were shooting .22lr last night. Is the 2nd Monday Center-fire pistols and the 4th Monday .22lr pistol? Can someone pass along the info for these events. I didn't see anything on the massrifle calendar for these events. What's the start time, cost, is holster required, etc. ? Thanks!

Went to shoot at MRA last night around 9pm and had to wait for an Action Shooting event to finish up on Loeb. Someone mentioned that there is Action Shooting the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month. Just curious what the format is, looked like they were shooting .22lr last night. Is the 2nd Monday Center-fire pistols and the 4th Monday .22lr pistol? Can someone pass along the info for these events. I didn't see anything on the massrifle calendar for these events. What's the start time, cost, is holster required, etc. ? Thanks!

Sent it from iPhone 5 LTE

This mostly. For the 50 yd you will shoot rifle and pistol and for both ranges you will probably have to shoot off hand as well.

When I did the 50 yard qualification about a year back back you could bench the pistol but had to free hand the rifle, and maybe a bench session with the rifle too, can't recall. Not sure on the target size at the 50, maybe 16" black circle? You were "supposed to be" on that target with all shots. A few got to "re-do a shot" and all ended up passing.

We shoot static steel the second and fourth Mondays of each month. The second mon is centerfire pistol. The fourth is rimfire pistol and rifle.

Its based on steel challenge format. We run 4 stages of which you shoot 5 strings each. Your scored on the best 4 out of 5.

For equipment 5 magazines or speed loaders is preferred but if you don't have 5 it's ok. Centerfire we draw from a holster but if your not comfortable with that you can start from low ready, we just add 2 seconds per run to your time.

Round count is 100 but of course that's if you don't miss, so figure on 150 to be safe. Cost is 5.00 per gun. Start time is 7:00.

Any other questions feel free to ask

Joe

Ok, so I know club rules only say NRA/MRA approved targets can get used....but what about standard AR 25yd sighting targets? Is it ok to use these at Loeb?

As long as it's cardboard or paper, I don't think anyone cares what targets you use. I've certainly never heard of anyone getting hassled for improper cardboard or paper targets.

We shoot static steel the second and fourth Mondays of each month. The second mon is centerfire pistol. The fourth is rimfire pistol and rifle.

Its based on steel challenge format. We run 4 stages of which you shoot 5 strings each. Your scored on the best 4 out of 5.

For equipment 5 magazines or speed loaders is preferred but if you don't have 5 it's ok. Centerfire we draw from a holster but if your not comfortable with that you can start from low ready, we just add 2 seconds per run to your time.

Round count is 100 but of course that's if you don't miss, so figure on 150 to be safe. Cost is 5.00 per gun. Start time is 7:00.

Any other questions feel free to ask

Joe

This is just excellent, I know a bit about what was going but that explains it all for me. What time do you guys usually gather and start? I expect I will be getting in on it!

Ok, so I know club rules only say NRA/MRA approved targets can get used....but what about standard AR 25yd sighting targets? Is it ok to use these at Loeb?

the big thing is that you're hitting the back stop. When folks bring in barn-door targets they're potentially shooting at the floor...esp at 30'. This is when someone may look at you funny if you're hanging a "large" or low hanging target on the Loeb. But I'm guessing you're running that all the way down anyway.

They just don't want you missing the back stop (some folks don't think about that), or reactive targets, etc.

For those of you that may not get the emails:

REMINDER: April 24, 2013 - Temporary closure of Loeb Range.

The Loeb Range (indoor 75 ft) will be closed Wednesday April 24 at 6 PM through Friday May 3 at 6 PM to undergo restoration work on the backstop. During that time the range will be unusable for any activity.

Please feel free to share this message to felow members for their convenience.

Thank you for your patience while we improve the Loeb Range.
All other ranges will be open for normal and regular use pursuant to the Range Rules.

hi guys,

I'm a complete noob to MRA, and wanted to double check on some ammo regs with some members here. Are FMJ rounds allowed in the Loeb range? I have some 5.56 55g FMJ, which I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed, but wanted to double check. Also, what about the Federal 'green tip' 5.56 (steel penetrator, but not full steel core)? Is this OK at MRA ranges?

Will double check with office at some point, but any feedback is appreciated.

Just landed a new federal job. Finally going to be able to afford a club membership. MRS is where I'm going. How long is the window for interviews right now.

Hate you Tapatalk

FYI, this is coming up [grin]

The MRA’s Tenth Annual
“WOMEN’S INSTRUCTIONAL SHOOT”
Saturday June 1, 2013

If your a woman 21 or older and haven't shot in a while or if you've never shot before and want to find out what it is like to shoot a pistol, rifle or shotgun, or are just in the mood to try something safe, fun and different, this day is for you.

WHO: Any woman 21 or older interested in trying firearms for the first time or learning more about the shooting sports in a safe, friendly and low pressure environment.

WHAT: A day of safe fun. We'll start with brief classroom instruction in safe firearms handling followed by range demonstrations and coaching while you get to shoot airguns, pistols, rifles and a shotgun. All firearms and ammunition will be will be provided as well as lunch and a drawing for a free Basic Firearms Safety Course (a $150.00 value) from our State Police certified Instructors as well as other prizes. Discounts on membership will be available for those wishing to join the MRA. Space is limited and advance registration is required.

WHEN: Saturday June 1, 2013 from 8:00 am (mandatory safety briefing) through mid afternoon (to allow everyone a chance to try each event).

DEADLINE: All applications must be received no later than May 19, 2013.

COST: $35.00 per individual or bring a friend or family member and pay only $60.00 for the two of you. Fee will help defray cost of materials provided including ammunition, targets and lunch.

Space is limited in order to provide both the maximum amount of range time and appropriate coaching. Reservations will be filled on a first come, first served basis. If you wish to attend with a friend it is suggested that you submit your applications together.

Applications can be found at Massachusetts RIfle Association to the left column and click on “SAFETY CLASSES” then on “REGISTRATION FORM” print and check off “WIS” . The completed application and payment must be received by the MRA in advance to reserve your place at the event. Please include your tee shirt size.

A special thanks to Carl at Four Seasons Firearms of Woburn for helping to sponsor this event each year.

Back
Top Bottom