Mech Tech Carbine Conversion Units

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Has anybody ever used one of these?

1911_CCU_assembled.jpg

http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.html

Would it be Mass-legal with a fixed rather than telescoping stock and no flash hider? It has a 16" barrel.

Are they any good? Is there a downside to using one of these?

I'm thinking of getting one in 10mm as I think this would be a kick-ass caliber in a carbine.

1911_CCU_assembled.jpg

Would it be Mass-legal with a fixed rather than telescoping stock and no flash hider? It has a 16" barrel.

I'm thinking of getting one in 10mm as I think this would be a kick-ass caliber in a carbine.

One of the downsides I can see to this system as it pertains to MA gun laws is that theoretically you'd have to fill out an FA-10 every time you changed the configuration.

Additionally, it's unclear whether you are technically allowed to convert from pistol to carbine and then back to pistol according to the BATFE - does "once a rifle, always a rifle" apply?

I'd love to get one, as I've got a spare 1911 that would make a fantastic donor frame for a cheap and fun carbine. The kit's a little over $300, which when you compare it to > $500 (plus transfer fee) for a used Marlin Camp Carbine, is a good deal...

1911_CCU_assembled.jpg

By definition, it's not applicable to the MA AWB since it doesn't normally utilize hi-cap magazines.

Reports I've read are very favorable. Those that have them, enjoy them and find them to be well made.

As noted, it would NOT be an "assault weapon" unless and until a >10-round mag was fitted. For that matter, IF - and only IF - you bought it AS a carbine, with no pistol top end to complete the frame, an FID would technically suffice. Of course, the conversion ability is the essence of the unit.

If you built it on a wide-body frame, an LTC would be required; an A if you also had the pistol top end.

Legal, accurate, and reliable. One guy @ MRA uses one on pins and it performs very well.

If the conversion were illegal the BATFE wouldn't allow the sale of the kit.Remember what happened with the bump fire stock?
If in doubt a letter from the manufacturer stating its BATFE approved should help avoid legal problems
Wouldn't this be the same as exchanging uppers on an AR 15. EC that looks more like a muzzle brake than a flash hider to me.

If the conversion were illegal the BATFE wouldn't allow the sale of the kit.Remember what happened with the bump fire stock?
If in doubt a letter from the manufacturer stating its BATFE approved should help avoid legal problems
Wouldn't this be the same as exchanging uppers on an AR 15. EC that looks more like a muzzle brake than a flash hider to me.

My concern's not that the conversion from pistol to carbine would be illegal, but that swapping it back would be. I'll be the first to admit my knowledge of Federal Gun Laws is sub-par, but I had thought that going from a rifle to a pistol was a big no-no.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will correct me shortly... [wink]

I just checked. It's neither. The manufacturer calls it a "decoration"!

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Back on topic. The kit isn't even considered a gun is it? So technically does the 1911 you put the upper on ever change? I mean you can just put the pistol slide back on just as quick. And the kit goes back to being just a kit.

-Weer'd Beard

My co-worker has one for his Para. He loves it... I've shot the thing on more than one occasion and I really like it as well. I have to say, it was really accurate...

I've really been thinking about getting one as well... I've just never done it...

But I have a feeling that at some point I will.

Here's a video of one in use.... (.45 ACP)
-Mike

I'll have to wait until I get home. YouTube is blocked here at work.

Frankly, I'm surprised that there are not more 10mm carbines available. I was only able to find an HK that (I think) is way out of my price range, a Vector MP5 "clone" that has a horrible reputation for failures, an Olympic Arms AR-style (not that I'd buy from Olympic), and this Mech Tech conversion unit.

Last edited:
This may not be a fair comparison but if you own a T/C Encore you can change from rifle to pistol and vice versa and its legal,why would the Mech Tech conversion be any different?

I have one for my G23 and I like it alot, it is fun to shoot and it is a quick change from pistol to riffle.

Originally Posted by drgrant
Only downer is it doesn't look like it has a BHO...

It does have a BHO

Back
Top Bottom