Medal of Honor winner Ed Freeman

He died in August of LAST year. In We Were Soldiers, his character is "Too Tall." As I recall, his CO lowered the coffin into the grave from a helicopter. Wholly appropriate and some serious hover skills.

Garryowen, trooper.

Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers' Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen.
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene.
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen.
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen,
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green.

Last edited:
He died in August of LAST year. In We Were Soldiers, his character is "Too Tall." As I recall, his CO lowered the coffin into the grave from a helicopter. Wholly appropriate and some serious hover skills.

I read the book "We were soldiers once....and young." And his call sign was "Too Tall". He wasn't alone when he performed the mission, his CO Crandall was there as well and received the Congressional Medal of Honor as well.

Actual Citations of Captain Edward W. Freeman and Major Bruce P. Crandall.

Also, if you haven't read the book "We Were Soldiers Once..........and Young" By Lt. General Hal Moore and Joe Galloway. The movie was good but the ending if I remember right was completely different, they had to walk a mile or so to another LZ to be air lifted out.

Last edited:
Stories like this make me always think how asshamed I am at our government for the treatment of our soldiers, soldier's families, and our vets. They deserve better.

Back
Top Bottom