MFS Needs Your Recommendations for Range Guns...

Mass Firearms

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
We will be opening our new range up for range memberships sometime in the next month or so. One of the unique features we will offer for range members is free, unlimited access to the guns in our armory. Our range is 18 yards and rated for pistol caliber handguns and rifles. We can also shoot shotguns.

What firearms would you recommend we stock?

Let us know what you think of this initial list:

9mm S&W M&P Sub Compact, Compact, Full Size – 1 of each
.45 S&W M&P Full Size – 1 handgun
Ruger 10/22 – 4 rifles
Smith & Wesson M&P15 22 – 2 rifles
9mm AR-15 – 1 rifle
Ruger LC9 9mm sub-compact – 1 handgun
Ruger SR9 Compact 9mm compact – 1 handgun
SW Body Gaurd – 1 handgun
Ruger Vaquero – 1 handgun
RUGER MKIII .22 LR – 1 handgun
benelli m4 - 1 shotgun

How about a 1911, for those who might be interested in getting into them but hasn't had a chance to fire one first hand? Maintenance can certainly be a PITA but I know customers would appreciate being able to fire one without the investment. Just a thought...

I would add some glocks, based solely on their popularity. I would think they are the most common handgun in MA that hasn't been tested for compliance of the AG regs.

I would also suggest that you have more than one of the "key" handgun models, since guns break. You pretty much have it covered with the M&P set (even thought they are different sizes). Most particularly, I'd suggest a second Ruger Mk III handgun.

Also, I suggest a 4" .357 revolver such as the S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. Since the gun will see very heavy use, and the Ruger is designed for a more complete user level stripping via the removable trigger group, you may wish to consider that model over the sideplated 686.

I would add some glocks, based solely on their popularity. I would think they are the most common handgun in MA that hasn't been tested for compliance of the AG regs.

The fundamental problem with Glocks is repair - if the frame is damaged, the gun is unrepairable due to the MA enbargo.

Yes, I would also recommend at least one 1911. I'm just curious how the range would operate. 1 to 1 supervision with all range guns? Free use of guns, but selling the ammo?

Ruger 10/22 – 4 rifles
9mm AR-15 – 1 rifle
benelli m4 - 1 shotgun

I would aye a second for a 1911, but also don't see any DA/SA semi's on the list, any of the steel frame Smith auto's, any Sig's, or M-9's/92 or 96 Beretta's, I know they're more pricey than most of the pistols already listed, but I feel at least one such example should be added so folks unsure of what they want can experience DAO, striker, and DA/SA.

Slainte

a 1911 for sure, I would also consider a lever action of some sort.
686, 19, 642 or other revolvers
if you got the AR you have to put an AK up there too

I agree with 1911s and Glocks. I'd add a couple different pistol carbines like the Keltec 2000 or a lever action.

I'd add a bunch of handguns that aren't MA compliant. Glocks, HKs, XDs, etc. I think they'd be very popular as rentals. I'd also add a few rifles that are difficult to own here, like a SCAR.

Personally, I'm not inspired to pay to rent a gun that's a dime a dozen at my club.

Steve, make sure that all the M&Ps have trigger jobs or Apex kits installed. Greg Derr will probably be cheaper doing a trigger job than the Apex kits.

Agree on the 1911 and Glocks.

DISagree on the Kel-Tec Sun 2000. It's flimsy and won't stand up to the abuse that a rental/free use gun would have to take. Doubt repair parts are available either.

Even if MFS has an FFL?

Yes, as Glock adopts a VERY conservative attitude towards shipments to MA, and I expect they will not ship to an FFL unless it is part of a LEO only deal. The Comm2A president and I had a lengthly conversation with Glock's general counsel at the Shot Show.

Yes, as Glock adopts a VERY conservative attitude towards shipments to MA, and I expect they will not ship to an FFL unless it is part of a LEO only deal. The Comm2A president and I had a lengthly conversation with Glock's general counsel at the Shot Show.

[thinking]

I understand we're dealing with MA laws here, but at the same time, it would be nice if they wouldn't create laws that don't exist.

Ruger 10/22 – 4 rifles
9mm AR-15 – 1 rifle
benelli m4 - 1 shotgun

Going under the assumption that your target members are less experienced shooters who are in the midst of taking classes (such as you would see at the S&W Shooting Sports Center)...

Suggestions of a 1911 or two (.45 ACP and 9MM chamberings) are very prudent.

A little sparse in revolvers... probably a couple S&W Airweight/Airlight J-frames and steel L-frames would round things out.

Part of me agrees with providing Glocks, while another part thinks that it would be best to stick with guns available new in most MA stores.

I see the Benelli M4... why not a pump action 12 Ga as well? I would assume the Mossy 500 or the Rem. 870 would be the most sensible. A good way to test recoil absorption side-by-side.

I
The fundamental problem with Glocks is repair - if the frame is damaged, the gun is unrepairable due to the MA enbargo.

bah, I read too quick. FRAME being the operative word.

Although technically, it isnt due to MA embargo, but rather Glock not willing to ship the gun back to the end user, no?

Last edited:
Standard procedure by Glock of Smyrna has been to keep the gun with the damaged frame and issue a replacement, MA compliant Glock when one became available. Has this procedure changed?

Glock seems to change its mind every 2 months about that issue. Frankly I would still have them as rentals, though.

-Mike

Thank you for the great feedback. Our plan is to allow range members unlimited free access to the firearms. We will only require 1 on 1 supervision for unlicensed individuals. We are still working on the pricing details. I agree with the suggestions given so far. What do you think about the KRISS?

Thank you for the great feedback. Our plan is to allow range members unlimited free access to the firearms. We will only require 1 on 1 supervision for unlicensed individuals. We are still working on the pricing details. I agree with the suggestions given so far. What do you think about the KRISS?
Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but what is your membership demographic? Are you expecting relatively inexperienced/casual members (S&W Shooting Sports Center type), or better trained shooters? Firearm recommendations would hinge on what you would expect your members would already own or have experience with.

We would like the range guns to accomplish the following:

1. Give new shooters an opportunity to try out various types of common firearms.

2. Give individuals who do not have the financial resources to own nice firearms the opportunity have access to quality guns.

3. Have some "wow" guns that would appeal to experienced shooters.

No Sigs? No wheel guns? Nothing I can't get from any gun ship or a random guy at my local range? I'll pass.

a 1911 for sure, I would also consider a lever action of some sort.
686, 19, 642 or other revolvers
if you got the AR you have to put an AK up there too

I agree, but the range is not rated for rifle calibers. Would need to get a handgun-caliber AK (maybe Saiga variant?).

I've always drooled over the kriss vector's design, but haven't yet had the resources to shoot one. I would definitely categorize it under one of the "wow" guns.

We would like the range guns to accomplish the following:

1. Give new shooters an opportunity to try out various types of common firearms.

2. Give individuals who do not have the financial resources to own nice firearms the opportunity have access to quality guns.
Looks like you've gotten some great advice so far for these parameters.

3. Have some "wow" guns that would appeal to experienced shooters.
What can your backstop handle? Would full-house S&W .500 loads have too high a velocity?

Back
Top Bottom