• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Michael deBethencourt Classes

The Goose

NES Member
I am starting a new thread on this topic in an attempt to avoid confusion.

I spoke with Michael deBethencourt today, actually he contacted me. He is truly enthusiastic about providing a class or classes for NES. He is offering an array of possibilities. I will toss it all out and let the debate begin.

Number of students: Minimum of 2 (no kidding) and a maximum of 12.

Location: Michael has access to Harvard Sportsman Club or if someone has a better location or facility it could be there.

Cost: $275 per person per day/class

Format and Times:
• A lot of this is up to us.
• Classes could be weekends or weekdays or mixed. He is committed to some dates already, but is otherwise flexible.
• We could have one day of Folding Knife and one day of Firearms Retention & Disarming.
• We could have a one day class that combined both.
• We could have a one day class of either one alone or with a second day repetition of a single class.
• He gave an example of if we had some folks who wanted a Friday and some who wanted a Saturday we could have the same class on both days and anyone who took the class on Friday could take it again for free on Saturday. This offer does not extend to different classes on each day. It would mean Folding Knife both days or Firearms Retention & Disarming both days.
• He is experimenting with a one day class that would cover both topics, a natural segway. He stressed that this is a new concept for him, but he is offering it.

So there is some food for thought. I hope I explained things fairly clearly and I will answer questions to the best of my ability.

Format and Times:
• A lot of this is up to us.
• Classes could be weekends or weekdays or mixed. He is committed to some dates already, but is otherwise flexible.
• We could have one day of Folding Knife and one day of Firearms Retention & Disarming.
• We could have a one day class that combined both.
• We could have a one day class of either one alone or with a second day repetition of a single class.
• He gave an example of if we had some folks who wanted a Friday and some who wanted a Saturday we could have the same class on both days and anyone who took the class on Friday could take it again for free on Saturday. This offer does not extend to different classes on each day. It would mean Folding Knife both days or Firearms Retention & Disarming both days.
• He is experimenting with a one day class that would cover both topics, a natural segway. He stressed that this is a new concept for him, but he is offering it.

So there is some food for thought. I hope I explained things fairly clearly and I will answer questions to the best of my ability.

Steve,

I'm in for either one or two days. I'd prefer a combined class during the week: weekends fill up fast but I'm always willing to play hooky from work. [grin]

Steve,
Thanks for taking care of some of the leg work on this. These classes sound great! I'm quite interested in both, and looking at the funds, I'd probably be more compelled toward having a mixed class... that is, firearms retention half the day and defensive knife the other half... especially if you can repeat the class for free the following day. IMO, I think that's the best way to get the most out of these classes. Take the class, go home, sleep on it, come back and try it again to really solidify your technique. But like I said, I'm up for anything.

Any idea on a start date for these classes... ie: couple weeks out vs couple months?

Tom

I'm in for any day-long classes that are on a weekend (even two days). I'd prefer a whole day spent on one subject (especially knife training) rather than splitting a day. I'm thirsty for more depth than the evening classes provide, and can't take the time off of work.

Another possible option is a 2-3 sequential evenings.

I'd like to do both classes (folding knife & firearms retention), but I probably couldn't do two days back to back (nor would I really want to - I get the feeling one day of that stuff will wear me out pretty good).

How about doing something like two Saturdays in a row, or maybe every other Saturday? i.e. Knife on September 1st, Retention on September 15th. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom