Moly or Moly Coated....Explain please???

Hi All,

I was reading some artcle where the stated Moly Coated rounds, not knowing what this is or are could someone please explain to me?

Thanks,

Ian

Moly or Molybdenum is a dry type of lubricant.

its often used as a wear additive.

Unless the subject was RIFLE bullets, I'm guessing they really meant poly-coated bullets. While there may well be some molybdenum in the mix, a poly-coated pistol bullet is a very different projectile from a moly-coated rifle bullet.

Nah pretty sure it was Moly coated. And yes its rifle ammo Im referring too.

But while you've mentioned it, whats Poly Coated? Some kinda plastic??

As for the Moly Coated, whats the point? Is it just for lubrication of the barrel?

Ian

yup pretty much a lubricant and anti-wear additive. I am sure someone else can chime in on the ballistic benefits of it.

I agree with that article. I moly coated thousands of various dia. bullets using the Midway vibrator and their powdered moly.
I use the Berger cleaning method and have no problems other than having to use latex gloves and developing new loads.
You will burn more powder.

It is easy to do with a tumbler, but boy does it make a mess. Moly isn't easy to clean and it just get everywhere. I moly coated some ss109 and got about 20 fps increase and it seemed a bit cleaner but it wasn't worth the mess.

There are many companies that offer moly coated bullets. The truth is, they do no real value to add accuracy or velocity. The only rifle that I own that does better is a K31 Swiss. Loads are the same, but accuracy is better. BTW, I hate the MOA idea. POI is all it takes. jp

Back
Top Bottom