More Heller Fall Out

Garys

NES Member
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4089

Among other things, H. Res. 1331 includes provisions that would repeal D.C.'s ban on many semi-automatic firearms, and repeal the District's firearm registration system, as in H.R. 1399. It would also reduce the District's burdensome restrictions on ammunition, and repeal the District's unique law that allows manufacturers of certain types of guns to "be held strictly liable in tort, without regard to fault or proof of defect," for injuries caused with those guns. D.C. has used this law to bring suits against the firearms industry, but those suits have now been blocked by the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act."

Well, if nothing else, all of this new pro-RKBA litigation should keep the antis busy "putting out fires". Hopefully it'll tie up most of their time and money.

+1

Remember that the Dummicrats control both houses of Congress. They are not going to let something like that bill pass.

Remember, there is a group of Democrats called Blue Dog Democrats that tend to be Pro-2A and number almost 50 sitting members of Congress. A "D" or "R" beside their name doesn't mean squat. There are many pro-2A Dems like there are Anti-2A Repubs.

From the wikipedia on them

Reflecting the group's Southern roots, many are strong supporters of gun rights and receive high ratings from the National Rifle Association, some have pro-life voting records, and some get high ratings from immigration reduction groups.

If they act fast enough there IS a decent chance it can pass.

Last edited:
Skald:

There are nowhere enough Blue Dog Democrats to get this moving. Nothing comes to the floor of either house of Congress unless the leadership wants it to get there. Neither Nancy Pelosi nor Harry Reid are going to let such a bill get there. Nor would the committee chairmen let it get there.

This bill has zero chance of getting to the floor for a vote. It will die in committee.

Backbenchers can make a difference when things come to vote on the floor, but they can't force it come to a vote on the floor -- the leadership controls the agenda.

Skald:

There are nowhere enough Blue Dog Democrats to get this moving. Nothing comes to the floor of either house of Congress unless the leadership wants it to get there. Neither Nancy Pelosi nor Harry Reid are going to let such a bill get there. Nor would the committee chairmen let it get there.

This bill has zero chance of getting to the floor for a vote. It will die in committee.

Backbenchers can make a difference when things come to vote on the floor, but they can't force it come to a vote on the floor -- the leadership controls the agenda.

H. Res. 1331, if it receives 218 votes will bring the bill out of committee no matter how hard Pelosi or Reid bitch and moan, try to bury it or make it go away. So those 40-50 votes you thought were worthless/non-factors all of a sudden do become factors for bringing this bill out of committee and to be voted on.

You can read more info about a Discharge Petition at:

C-Span
Wikipedia
U.S House of Representives Archives

Last edited:
Skald: 1) the discharge petition is only in the house and doesn't affect the senate and 2) there is absolutely no way (particularly in an election year when all the lefties are motivated to vote anyways) that enough representatives will vote for such a bill.

According to wikipedia, of 563 discharge petitions filed, only 2 became law:
Discharge petitions are rare. A successful discharge petition embarrasses the leadership; as such, members of the majority party are hesitant to support something that would make the Speaker and their own leaders look bad. (Naturally, the minority party will often support discharge petitions precisely to embarrass the leadership.) Furthermore, since the signers of a petition are not private, majority party members are pressured not to sign, and open themselves up to retribution from the leadership should they disobey.

My prediction: the bill dies in committee. It isn't going anywhere.

I fully support the bill. I just think that, particularly in an election year, it isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Discharge Petitions can be filed in both Senate AND Congress. Also, as of late the Democrat Leadership is trying its hardest to not appear to be gun grabbers. They made a lot of gain by not pushing the anti-gun platform of years past and if they bury this one in committee then the Repubs can and should use this go and campain come re-election time 'See, they say they support Gun Rights etc, etc, etc but the proof is in the pudding."

Also, do not speak to me of odds and chances. I had my hip slip a second time and when my mom asked the doc about it he told her I should be hit by lightning (576000 to 1) AND win a high payout megabucks jackpot (about 175,711,536 to 1).

By your reasoning since only 2 bills passed by the petition directly, but how many times has the threat of a petition been enough to get the bill voted on?

By your reasoning since only 2 bills passed by the petition directly, but how many times has the threat of a petition been enough to get the bill voted on?
We'll never know. However, given that payback is a !$@#! and party leadership has ample opportunities for retribution, I suspect that it is very, very rare that a congress critter would ever even think about threatening his or her party leadership.

Party leaders control committee assignments, office assignments, a great many other perks, and most importantly, the Rules committee. Party leadership can deep-six the pet earmarks of a member who crossed them. So congress critters go out of their way not to piss off their leadership. They will, on occasion, but only if they feel that they have no choice because they know they will pay the price in the future.

Furthermore, in an election year congress critters want to avoid controversial legislation. The congress critters do not represent DC. Back in their districts, there are some people who will vote against them if they vote for this bill. There are some people who will vote for them if they vote for this bill. But the majority won't know and won't care if this bill dies a quiet death in committee.

What issues are their constituents concerned about right now? What are people calling their offices about? Fuel cost. The economy. The housing crisis. The war. Gun laws in DC are only of interest to a few of us on both sides of the issue.

Well, if nothing else, all of this new pro-RKBA litigation should keep the antis busy "putting out fires". Hopefully it'll tie up most of their time and money.

I would agree... but it hasn't slowed that asshat Gov we have down a bit... i think he is pulling more crap out to off set it... [thinking]

would be nice to win that one too... next, the MA ag regs. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom