mosin bolt

Looking for pics or ideas of anyone who cut and welded a new handle for sniper style bolt. I have the tools and the Tig welder to do it just looking for ideas.
Plus anyone have a source locally to buy good condition bolts. I don't want to cut up my bolt cause my numbers match and want to keep that way.
Plus I'm working on a scope mount welded to the side of the receiver.

Jason.

one of many on you tube..... although this guy had good lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow out all the Vids I watched on YouTube that looks like best on the subject. Other ordering online ( which I'm not a big fan of ) any local sources for bolts?

Jason.

Wow out all the Vids I watched on YouTube that looks like best on the subject. Other ordering online ( which I'm not a big fan of ) any local sources for bolts?

Jason.

I have never seen a bolt for sale in mass for a mosin

if you have not found it yet http://7.62x54r.net/

If you want it done http://www.mosinnagant.net/boltman/boltman.html
there are a few others but I do. believe he is the least expensive.

If you look you can find just mosin bolt handles for around 20/25$.

Jason.

best hmmm, although its the best I have seen for the home brew no work bench or drill press.....I work under the same conditions.
Its just to show it can be done with out fancy tools or years of experience....

Being a welder and fitter for 18 years I can fab, and weld a new one on. My biggest question was were in mass to find a used one. I guess I will have to order one online, just was trying to give a local guy the cash.

Now onto scope mounts, did you drill and tap? Have to notch the stock? Or did you just weld a notch for a mount to slide into?
What's your thoughts on a front mount and a pistol style scope, this way I leave the bolt alone.

Jason.

Being a welder and fitter for 18 years I can fab, and weld a new one on. My biggest question was were in mass to find a used one. I guess I will have to order one online, just was trying to give a local guy the cash.

Now onto scope mounts, did you drill and tap? Have to notch the stock? Or did you just weld a notch for a mount to slide into?
What's your thoughts on a front mount and a pistol style scope, this way I leave the bolt alone.

Jason.

Pistol style scopes suck and most of the mounts blow. No offense but with a round that can reach out as far as the mosin can its kinda like shooting a 50bmg with a red dot.

The ati mount two screws is what I got it gets the job done . No mods to the stock needed . I'm runny a 4-12x40 scope.

You can get the real mosin side mount . Or you can get ones to work with ak scopes....
Or you can get ones that use the svd/psl/sks mount. .... Since most scopes for those are setup for 54r it's a better idea then the ak mount in my view.

If you don't mind removing some of the stock get one of the rock solid mounts .

Or if you can weld . Cut the bolt handle off.
Grind it flat. Make a new handle that is welded on the rear (not the safety knob /striker) weld the rear of the receiver up that milled open for the old cocking handle to pass through .
I've seen this a few times and if I wasn't going to run Russian style optics on my bastard I was gonna do this.

Easy bent bolt mod.

Buy a bolt with a short threaded section and a long non threaded shoulder . Drill and tap bolt(mosin) figure out where it indexes and removed and heat and bend .no welding needed . Use a bunch of lock tight to keep it from losing up. If you have a threading kit could cut the Allen head cap off and thread for after market bolt handled knobs.

Last edited:
I sent mine out to Rock Solid Ind. to bend it for me as I don't have the tools.

I've mounted a scout scope to the dovetail below the RSB with good results, and I have also drilled and tapped the side of the receiver and installed a repro sniper scope mount on a different rifle. The side mount definitely gives you more options for scopes, and is not hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom