• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving heavy machine?? Metal Lathe

Ok guys, so here is some more information.

Its in a basement, its an old cast iron lathe. I've posted a video on Youtube. just click this link >>>> LINK <<<<< to view what the lathe looks like and how far I'm moving it.

I'm currently cleaning the lathe up right now. Removing what I can to lighten it up. Getting everything out from underneath it. Get it ready to move.

As you can see from the the video, its not going to be moving far at all. I'm putting it out of the way as the lathe hasn't run in years if not decades. I'm not much of a metal worker, it was my wifes grandfathers lathe. If I need to work with some metal, I just use the machine shop at work. Eventually, I do plan on getting this up and running, but not just yet. I need some room for my own projects so its being moved to a new location as this is sitting dead center of where I would like to set up my wood lathe and Jointer.

I appreciate the confidence that a number of you have in moving it yourself. I've been considering it, making the attempt. I can rent machine rollers from sunbelt for $35 for the day. I have a bottle jack rated at 3-4 tons so I can get it lifted up. I have my concerns of using a bottle jack directly on the cast iron cross beam to lift it up. Might rent a toe jack and crow bar up one leg to get the two jack on the other side, that brings me up to $60. So depending how much a rigger will charge.
That is not 1 to 2 tons, lol. Few dudes and lift it.

Plus 1 on Toupin rigging. Professional, smart and dependable. I have used them in the past to move granite inspection tables in our Incoming Quality Control group.

Watching them move surface places taught me a lot about moving heavy objects. Small vertical movements, good dolly and think about what your doing.

Last edited:
1 to 2 tons isn't bad. I unloaded a 4500lb shaper off of a trailer by myself with some 1" pipe and a toe jack. Once it was in the shop I was able to push it around with some machine skates I made myself for around $60.

Watching your video, I would be surprised if it was over a ton. If you can lift it with a jack or engine hoist you can make a skid to run between the legs and roll it around on pipe without a problem. Turning will be a pain, skates would be better for that.

With the skates I can push a bridgeport or a 13" south bend lathe around the shop with two fingers. You can see two of them in this picture. It's just ~3/4" of steel plate, some 20mm precision ground rod welded to the bottom, and four 6020 bearings I got off of ebay. I can lift the lathe and bridgeport high enough with a demo bar and wedges to get skates or pipes under it but the shaper needed the toe jack.

MswrmFD.jpg

Its in a basement, its an old cast iron lathe. I've posted a video on Youtube. just click this link >>>> LINK <<<<< to view what the lathe looks like and how far I'm moving it.

I'm currently cleaning the lathe up right now. Removing what I can to lighten it up. Getting everything out from underneath it. Get it ready to move.

As you can see from the the video, its not going to be moving far at all. I'm putting it out of the way as the lathe hasn't run in years if not decades. I'm not much of a metal worker, it was my wifes grandfathers lathe. If I need to work with some metal, I just use the machine shop at work. Eventually, I do plan on getting this up and running, but not just yet. I need some room for my own projects so its being moved to a new location as this is sitting dead center of where I would like to set up my wood lathe and Jointer.

I appreciate the confidence that a number of you have in moving it yourself. I've been considering it, making the attempt. I can rent machine rollers from sunbelt for $35 for the day. I have a bottle jack rated at 3-4 tons so I can get it lifted up. I have my concerns of using a bottle jack directly on the cast iron cross beam to lift it up. Might rent a toe jack and crow bar up one leg to get the two jack on the other side, that brings me up to $60. So depending how much a rigger will charge.
I would go to harbor freight and get a pique of dollies, then get some scraps of plywood to put on them. Have a friend or two help you lift one end onto a dolly. Chock its wheels and do the same at the other end. Roll it to its new location and unload.

Even this is more complicated than it needs to be, but will be plenty safe and effective.

And then you'll own a pair of dollies.

Some blocks of wood, a pinch bar, Johnson bar, and a pallet jack should do it.
LTFY.

I'd go with the levitation crystal instead
View attachment 461368
anti-gravs-changling-03.jpg

We have 2 sauergrapes on the forum now?
The leading underscore isn't silent.

Crushed ice under a heavy machine allows it to be moved with ease.
(I can't find it anymore, but) there was an online account in an industry publication
by funeral director Bob Boetticher about Ronald Reagan's entombment.

One of the last steps was that they scattered ice on the floor of the niche,
pushed the casket in to place, and let it melt away.

first, I'm obviously off on the weight, just going by someone else's information on that. I'm not really a good judge of those types of things. I attempted to lift the light end. yea F*** that noise. Don't see how its getting lifted by 2 people. Levers yes, jack yes, lift no idea how thats happening.

first, I'm obviously off on the weight, just going by someone else's information on that. I'm not really a good judge of those types of things. I attempted to lift the light end. yea F*** that noise. Don't see how its getting lifted by 2 people. Levers yes, jack yes, lift no idea how thats happening.
Option 1:

Option 2:
Put a weight-rated screw eye in the beam overhead, then use a block and tackle or come along to hoist one end

I'm imagining two people in double radius-ulna casts
staring up at the hole in the living room floor;
the living room whose contents have just cascaded down on top of the lathe...
For a real lathe, sure. This thing is like 650, maybe 1k lbs. I'm not a big dude (less so since covid) and I'm sure I could get that thing moved with a friend.

Half that max weight is 500#; two people with lifting straps is 250. A reasonably healthy adult should be able to get that up 6" onto a dolly.

That said, folks are tossing the idea of a floor jack around, and that is a great one too.

Edit: actually, I'll admit 250# deadlift might be an above average request. Tools it is...

Last edited:
I just saw the YouTube video. Try a 6' long 2x4 about 6-8" under one of the end support arches (near the floor), and lift a little to give it a push in the direction you want it to go. It should slide a little bit at a time. A six pack...and your done!

1 to 2 tons isn't bad. I unloaded a 4500lb shaper off of a trailer by myself with some 1" pipe and a toe jack. Once it was in the shop I was able to push it around with some machine skates I made myself for around $60.

Watching your video, I would be surprised if it was over a ton. If you can lift it with a jack or engine hoist you can make a skid to run between the legs and roll it around on pipe without a problem. Turning will be a pain, skates would be better for that.

With the skates I can push a bridgeport or a 13" south bend lathe around the shop with two fingers. You can see two of them in this picture. It's just ~3/4" of steel plate, some 20mm precision ground rod welded to the bottom, and four 6020 bearings I got off of ebay. I can lift the lathe and bridgeport high enough with a demo bar and wedges to get skates or pipes under it but the shaper needed the toe jack.

MswrmFD.jpg
I think I've returned to HS looking at that old iron. Just paint it sky blue and roll me (and a joint) back into 1975.

I ended up doing some scavenging through the basement, found an old section of rail road rail and set up a quick lever with a 2x4. Lifted right off the ground not much of an issue. need to raiser the rail more to get the lathe higher off the ground, but moves easy. I'm going to run over to Sun belt and rent the machine rollers. Going to see if I can get a friend over to help spot and move it around, but I think thats the direction I'm going to go.

You can make these corner moving dollies to any spec yourself or buy as many as you need.

Attachments

• 7A3B98D3-4EF9-4BE1-AB6F-08475206A026.jpeg
    7A3B98D3-4EF9-4BE1-AB6F-08475206A026.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 5
Measure holes in the feet (used to lag the machine down.
Get 4 stem swivel casters at Harbor freight or Amazon with post.
Using bottle jack lift 1 end and install 2 of the casters.
Lower on to floor.
Jack other side and install casters.
Lower on to floor and roll it anywhere you want. Move it anytime you need to.

Moving by pipe you would jack it up. Put 4x4 under and lag machine to the 4x4. Then pipes under the 4x4s and move wherever.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210314-181205_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210314-181205_Chrome.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
Half that max weight is 500#; two people with lifting straps is 250. A reasonably healthy adult should be able to get that up 6" onto a dolly.
Oh, it may be totally plausible.
When I saw the cable TV ad for those straps, I wanted a pair myself.

But I couldn't help thinking of (and sharing) the worst-case scenario...

Linked.
That.
For.
You.

That looks like Reed (which also cast many lathes under different brands). The head stock, the legs all unbolt if you really needed to.

The "tombstone", the cast iron box with gears, it's very collectable and typically they were bolted on the tail stock of the lathe, not legs. Don't f*** up legs, those alone are like 2-300$ as scrap. Fags make tables out of them.

I have the lathe that made the lathes that made your lathe.

Floor jack and a flat cart is all you need pipes aren't going to do it. If you get hung up your not that far. I would jack it from the beam and put a cart under one side then floor jack under leg brace your not going to break the cast unless you impact it

Plus 1 on Toupin rigging. Professional, smart and dependable. I have used them in the past to move granite inspection tables in our Incoming Quality Control group.

Watching them move surface places taught me a lot about moving heavy objects. Small vertical movements, good dolly and think about what your doing.

Another vote for Toupin in Dracut. Very professional. We have used them many times moving very heavy, very delicate, and very expensive semiconductor manufacturing equipment. Never any problems and they are a great group of people.

Crushed ice under a heavy machine allows it to be moved with ease. Not sure if the same is possible with this.
i was wondering if dry ice would work. As you press down on it, it turns to CO2 gas, so almost frictionless...you are riding on gas.

you are welcome to borrow my pallet dolly. 4000# rated
the rollers have a slight crown to them, so theoretically you can turn corners with it.,

View attachment 461875

View attachment 461876
wow, thanks for the offer. Figuring out when I can get someone over hear has a second pair of hands/spotter. I'll let you know If i need to take you up on that. Much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom