Moving to NYS - Need answers please

Hi, I am moving to NYS - Dutchess County - in a year. I have a pistol collection that of approx 12 handguns. I also do pistolsmithing as a side job for extra income. I have my gunsmith certification but never went into it as a main source of income due to the huge cash outlay for equiptment, etc. I prefer the M1911 and Browning Hi Power platforms and it keeps me busy there.

I know about the lengthy process for getting a pistol permit in NYS. It is a royal pain, to say the least, but we have to do what we need to do to be legal.

My questions are:

1-Can I start the permit process before I move or do I have to wait until I actually live there before I can start it. Would it help if I already knew my future address? It it easy to get a permit for multiple pistols once you get one for the first? Does it take forever for each pistol or can you do them all at once?

2- I would be living 1/2 hour or so from the CT border. I would consider living there if the CT laws are better for handgun owners, tho it would add a lot of commute time to my life. Is it a better option to live in CT versus NYS? I understand about bringing the pistols into NYS and the laws involved. I mainly do range shooting so finding a range in CT would be the option. Could I have dual residency since I have family in NYS and I live in CT?

3- Does having the gunsmith certification have any benefits in either state if it is not my principal source of income?

Thanks to all that help. This move has given me a lot to consider when it comes to my collection. I will not break any law but I do wish to keep my collection intact. Selling off even 1 gun does not seem right in this country.

I live in CT. NY laws suck to say the least. Every single handgun you own has to be listed on your permit. If you buy or sell one it must be added or subtracted from your list. It is a lengthy process to say the least.

In CT, a permit is relatively easy to get although it may take a couple months. Once you have the permit you are good to go. Buying and selling is easy as filling out a few forms and you can own as many as you want. They don't have to be listed or anything. The only bad thing about CT is the assault weapon ban but that basically just means any so called assault rifles you own would have to be of post-ban configuration. Don't know anything about the gunsmithing though.

Hi, I am moving to NYS - Dutchess County - in a year. I have a pistol collection that of approx 12 handguns. I also do pistolsmithing as a side job for extra income. I have my gunsmith certification but never went into it as a main source of income due to the huge cash outlay for equiptment, etc. I prefer the M1911 and Browning Hi Power platforms and it keeps me busy there.

I know about the lengthy process for getting a pistol permit in NYS. It is a royal pain, to say the least, but we have to do what we need to do to be legal.

My questions are:

1-Can I start the permit process before I move or do I have to wait until I actually live there before I can start it. Would it help if I already knew my future address? It it easy to get a permit for multiple pistols once you get one for the first? Does it take forever for each pistol or can you do them all at once?

2- I would be living 1/2 hour or so from the CT border. I would consider living there if the CT laws are better for handgun owners, tho it would add a lot of commute time to my life. Is it a better option to live in CT versus NYS? I understand about bringing the pistols into NYS and the laws involved. I mainly do range shooting so finding a range in CT would be the option. Could I have dual residency since I have family in NYS and I live in CT?

3- Does having the gunsmith certification have any benefits in either state if it is not my principal source of income?

Thanks to all that help. This move has given me a lot to consider when it comes to my collection. I will not break any law but I do wish to keep my collection intact. Selling off even 1 gun does not seem right in this country.

CT. You likely won't get a full carry permit in NY in dutchess county (it's hit or miss there and more misses than hits) anyhow, so you are not losing anything by going to CT. Also, NY has no permits for long guns so as long as you keep the hand guns in CT, you are fine with going in with rifles, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I actually have the paperwork to get my FFL but if it's that hard to get even a handgun permit in NYS I cannot imagine the BS involved in getting an at-home FFL. I will look into it, though, but I am sure I would need to have my feet planted in NYS before I begin the process. If anyone got an at-home FFL in NYS who can inform me on the red tape I would surely appreciate it.

CT sucks way less than NY does for gun owners.... by orders of magnitude. NY even makes MA look good in comparison... that's how bad it is.

-Mike

Unfortunately that is what my research has told me. I was hoping I was missing something. That is why I am seriously considering residence in CT but that does make my daily commute 45 minutes longer... enough to hurt my pocket from the gas and my leisure time due to the extra commute. If I can get them all registered in NYS then I would be a happy camper. It seems that the McDonald ruling has no effect in the NYS laws since you can own handguns and long guns there but they sure do make it next to impossible to have handguns. It's a shame that the legislators can do this to the law abiding citizens of the state. It borders on illegal without being illegal.

CT sucks way less than NY does for gun owners.... by orders of magnitude. NY even makes MA look good in comparison... that's how bad it is.

-Mike

Unfortunately that is what my research has told me. I was hoping I was missing something. That is why I am seriously considering residence in CT but that does make my daily commute 45 minutes longer... enough to hurt my pocket from the gas and my leisure time due to the extra commute. If I can get them all registered in NYS then I would be a happy camper. It seems that the McDonald ruling has no effect in the NYS laws since you can own handguns and long guns there but they sure do make it next to impossible to have handguns. It's a shame that the legislators can do this to the law abiding citizens of the state. It borders on illegal without being illegal.

It will be a long time before NYS' firearms laws are challenged enough to make a difference. They are infringements via process and as such, it will be much more difficult and time consuming to knock them down. And to do so, anyone doing it would want to ensure they had significant precedent to work with before doing so.

Regardless of where you live, you need an FFL as a gunsmith to do the work. Doesn't matter if it is your primary job or not. Some states also require state licenses to do gunsmithing.

Regardless of where you live, you need an FFL as a gunsmith to do the work. Doesn't matter if it is your primary job or not. Some states also require state licenses to do gunsmithing.

True but it also depends what you are doing and if you keep it overnight. Many times I do work for friends and family and they spend the day at my house while I do what is needed. Also, many times what needs to be done does not require the frame so I can take my time with it, etc. I stay within the laws in place but also know the limits.

You must be a NY State and Dutchess County resident for at least six months before you can apply for a permit. The four required references must be Dutchess County residents as well. It will take approximately one year for you to receive your permit. Unlike most NY counties, Dutchess issues full carry permits. Your gunsmith certification is of no help in the application process. Once you have your permit it takes approximately ten days to add a firearm to the permit. You have to go to the Sheriffs office each time you add a firearm. They will then mail you your updated permit. You'll be hard pressed to find a more gun friendly county in NY than Dutchess. Getting an FFL is easy on the federal level. You'll have to go through your local municipalities zoning laws before they feds will issue you an FFL. With that done, you'll only be able to deal in long guns until you get a NY State dealers license. Of course before even applying for an FFL you'll need to establish a business and obtain a NY tax certificate of authority.

You must be a NY State and Dutchess County resident for at least six months before you can apply for a permit. The four required references must be Dutchess County residents as well. It will take approximately one year for you to receive your permit. Unlike most NY counties, Dutchess issues full carry permits. .....

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. The question I have concerning the FFL is since the state is so anti-gun, how easy would it be to get the locals to approve an in-home FFL. The place I plan to live is pretty rural but you never know who has the final say on these things. I wish I had the funds for a nice campaign contribution! [wink]

The final say will be the zoning board of appeals for the town in which you'll be residing. If they approve, the feds and state authorities will not have a problem with it. Sounds like you're considering somewhere in northern Dutchess.

I was looking at the area between Poughkeepsie, Millbrook and Poughquag but CT looks a lot better now. Too bad, the area is quiet and scenic especially near the border with the hills/mountains. I guess the hills look just as nice in the west instead of the east but the housing is definitely cheaper in NY. The problem is there aren't too many roads thru the mountains and in the winter it could really hurt the travel time. Too bad NYS sucks so much.

You must be a NY State and Dutchess County resident for at least six months before you can apply for a permit. The four required references must be Dutchess County residents as well. It will take approximately one year for you to receive your permit.

Good grief, what does he do with his handguns for that year?????

Good grief, what does he do with his handguns for that year?????

Exactly my thought... what do I do with them? If it was one or three it would be different but I have a tad more than that. I am really getting worried about the thought of not being able to have my collection with me. I mean, I could have a carry permit for 39 states yet I can't have even 1 in NYS? Ridiculous! CT seems to be the logical answer until or unless I can get an FFL in NYS. With 2 huge US Supreme court rulings in the past year on our side and we still have to fight city hall.... well that is ridiculous. I thought that the McDonald ruling basically stated that state laws could not override constitutional laws? If I have been deemed fit to carry in 39 states I feel that should override the individual state's right to restrict and make me jump thru the same hoops to be able to have a handgun. Totally ridiculous. Total BS. I mean why does NYS have to run the same criminal background check, run the same fingerprints, run the same whatever that has already been done? How can the states justify this and be able to do it legally? Grrrrrr, as you can see, this upsets me to no end. Total BS.

It is BS but thats the game you have to play if you want to live in probably the 2nd most communist state in the country, surpassed only by New Jersey.

-Mike

It is BS but thats the game you have to play if you want to live in probably the 2nd most communist state in the country, surpassed only by New Jersey.
-Mike

Oh, I hear you and agree. These grey hairs mean I have learned you cannot fight city hall unless you have more cash than you can spend in your lifetime. If you want to play, you gotta play by the rules.

Back
Top Bottom