MSAR STG-556 with FID?

OK, I know it looks like a silly question at first sight, but bear with me for a minute.

Neither the MSAR STG-556 nor the Steyr AUG are on the Large Capacity Weapons Roster and the MSAR ships with a 10-round magazine, so as long as you're not in possession of a large capacity magazine it isn't considered a large capacity rifle. Which means an MSAR is legal on an FID, just like a 10/22. Right?

BUT...

The definition of "large capacity weapon" in M.G.L. 140, S121 includes all assault weapons. And the definition of "assault weapon" specifically mentions the Steyr AUG and extends to include "copies or duplicates." Which means the MSAR is an assault rifle and therefore large capacity and therefore not legal on an FID. Rght?

BUT THEN...

Regardless of your license class, assault weapons are prohibited in MA and the definition of "assault weapon" also specifically mentions the AK, Colt AR-15, and FN FAL. Since we know there are plenty of MA-legal AKs and ARs and FALs, the legal interpretation of what constitutes "copies or duplicates" must be pretty narrow. Which means an MSAR isn't the same as a Steyr AUG and so not an assault rifle and therefore not automatically large capacity and therefore legal on an FID. Right?

Before my head explodes, am I missing something obvious here that makes the answer simple - one way or the other?

The MSAR is considered a clone of the AUG and is capable of using the same magazines so I believe that an FID won't cut it. And IIRC the AWB cover "X" rifle and its copies/clones?

The MSAR is considered a clone of the AUG and is capable of using the same magazines so I believe that an FID won't cut it.
The later model MSAR does accept AUG magazines although the earlier ones didn't without modification. The newest variant (the STG-E4) uses standard AR-15 mags. But should this fact alone make any difference to whether or not the rifle is classified as large capacity? A Ruger 10/22 is capable of using 25-, 30-, or even 50-round mags but isn't considered large capacity as long as you only use 10-rounders.

And IIRC the AWB cover "X" rifle and its copies/clones?
This would appear to be the case under both the MA and Federal laws, yes. But here's where I lose the logic. The MSAR is an AUG copy and therefore an AW. Fair enough. But why isn't a Bushmaster XM-15 considered a Colt AR-15 copy, or a WASR-10 considered an AK copy? Is a different name and the omission of one or two evil features enough to exempt them from being classified as "copies or duplicates?"

It might indeed be legal for a FID holder with 10 round mags, but I doubt any FFL is going to sell a FID holder a rifle like that, not in this state. They're typically going to want to see an LTC-B or better for most rifles which were really/typically intended to take large magazines, even if their requirements are above and beyond what the actual requirements are set forth in the law.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom