My AR15 Project: Pics as they come

I've wanted to build an AR15 for some time, and with some insurance money that I had left over after repairs, from an accident at which I wasn't at fault, I decided to go for it.
First off, I am 20 so I can't own a lower receiver, but I can buy the rest of the rifle. So I am putting together an upper to use on friends lower receivers when we go to the range.

I ended up getting a matching upper and bolt carrier group from spikes tactical. The upper is forged by Cerro forge (has the keyhole marking), and the BCG is an M16 BCG which is pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected. The spikes lower is made by the parent company that makes the bushmaster lowers. All the functioning parts are mil-spec, good solid parts. These were ordered directly from Spikes Tactical.

CIMG1724.jpg

CIMG1722.jpg

CIMG1723.jpg

I decided on the ACE skeleton stock. I ordered it from del-ton with a rifle length buffer, tube, and spring, as it is a rifle length stock. I wish I could have had a collapsible stock but this seems like it will provide comfortable cheek weld, and it is pretty damn light. It also has a rubber recoil pad on the butt, not that 5.56 or .223 gives much recoil. I am looking forward to trying it out on the rifle.

CIMG1728.jpg

For the barrel I went with a 14.5 inch Sabre Defense barrel with a mid length instead of a carbine gas system. Mid-length gas systems are hard to find on shorter barrels but most people seem to like them much more than the "violent" carbine length gas systems. As you probably recognize, 14.5 inches is NFA, but I have to pin a muzzle brake over the threading anyway as it is a post ban rifle, so it will come to 16 inches with the extended A2 comp I ordered. The barrel is from ADDAX Tactical and has still not come in. It shipped right when I ordered it but stupid UPS had a delay in cali and rescheduled the arrival date. Oh well.

The foreend is really the only part I "skimped" on, though I don't believe I did. I went with a full rifle length diamond quad rail from YHM. I ordered this from brightflashlights, a store that used to have an ebay store but I found in a thread on AR15.com. I have to say they had incredible customer service as well as unbeatable prices. Really above and beyond. It was clearly a family operation, and a great one at that. As for my remarks on the quality of the YHM forearm... It cost 130 bucks shipped, granted it lists for about 180. I don't know why you need a 400 dollar forearm. I really don't. I put it on the upper just to see how it lined up and its perfect. I have no issue with it. Maybe its a couple ounces heavier than the competition but I'd rather save my $250. On some of the machining u can see that all the edges aren't razor sharp, but its not noticeable unless your looking for it. Overall, fit and finish is just as good as the rest of the parts. I definitely would recomend them unless you need a LaRue.

CIMG1717.jpg

CIMG1718.jpg

I decided to get a forend grip while I was at it. I picked up the grip pod S02 version (with the metal not composite legs) for 50 bucks shipped on ebay. A little heavy but hey, it was the same price as a lot of other grips, it is comfortable, and the pop out bipod while may not be for snipers, will more than do the job. Gotta say I really like it. Also want to mention a lot of Marines I know who have used them in theater like em. I have used them and seen them used before as issued gear and liked them. Also, the bipod unscrews if the weight really bothers you.

CIMG1720.jpg

CIMG1721.jpg

As far as the "little" parts go. I just had bright flashlights send me a mid length gas tube as they had one in stock when I ordered the forend. I got the BCM gunfighter charging handle, an extended A2 compensator, and a YHM low profile gas block from bravo company USA. Another incredible company. Compared to the CHs I've used on the M16, this thing is awesome. I threw it in the upper just for fun, MUCH more solid.

CIMG1719.jpg

CIMG1726.jpg

CIMG1725.jpg

Finally, for back up irons, I went with the new Magpul MBUS polymer backup sights. Haven't received them yet, but they have nothing but great reviews. The other option was the Troys, which are actually machined metal, but at 300 for the set vs 70 shipped for the magpuls, I decided on the MBUS setup. If I decide they need to be upgraded in the future, so be it. But for now, from all I have read, they are a GREAT flip up sight. I ordered these from superior defense solutions

I'll keep you all posted. This probably won't be getting assembled for another month or so due to school, and having to coordinate with my girlfriends father, who is away for a while. I also have arranged to borrow the tools from a member here. I will post a DIY as I go. Feel free to ask questions and give advice.

I also want to mention that every company I mentioned here had better customer service than anyone I've dealt with about anything I've ever owned in the past. All were incredible in that regard. I really was surprised. If it wasn't operating hours, they always got back to me via email and answered all my questions. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with any of them again.

Take care all,

Mike

Last edited:
EDITED FOR EDIT REASONS ;-)

As far as the build goes it's looking like it will turn out to be a nice EBR. I have been debating the YHM forend for a while now myself. Nobody around me seems to stock them. I would like to be able to touch and feel before purchasing.

Last edited:
IANAL but where he's not old enough to own it on his own - I don't think it would be considered a straw purchase. It would be much like a father purchasing a firearm with the intent of passing it down (though I realize he's not the OP's father).

As far as the build goes it's looking like it will turn out to be a nice EBR. I have been debating the YHM forend for a while now myself. Nobody around me seems to stock them. I would like to be able to touch and feel before purchasing.
I have a YHM diamond forearm on the AR I just built and I love it. Iv you ever make it up this way, I'll let you touch it [smile]

All the upper parts are legal to own without an LTC... so that stuff I can have. Reading some of the legislation about a straw purchase, a buyer would need to get a lower with the intent to transfer to someone is cannot or will not get one himself. I believe it would be ok for a buyer to get a lower, keep it for himself for a year or more, and later gift it to someone else who is legally able to have it, following all the proper transfer procedures.

Mike

Last edited:
I think people are getting their drawers into a twist over nothing. You don't need any kind of license to own an upper, which is all I see you buying and building in the OP.

Mike, I got my YHM forend from a father-son sort of operation based in FL called Brightflashlights. http://brightflashlights.com/

I would HIGHLY recommend them. They said they get items in stock pretty often, they have the best prices, and shipping is included. I got the forend 2 days afer ordering.

In terms of optics. I am going to hold off on that for a while. If I could find something in the 300 range, even used, that people liked I would be all over it. I want something relatively durable that can be used as a reflex sight (so preferbly red dot, that seems to drive the price waaay up), that has at least 3X magnification, preferbly 1-4X. I love the ACOG, even fixed at 4X, but don't have a fortune to spend.

Mike

So you cant own a rifle lower in MA if you are under 21?
Correct. An AR (lower) is a "large capacity" rifle, which requires a minimum of a LTC-B to
own/possess. You must be 21 to apply for, and be eligible to receive, a LTC.

Isn't purchasing a firearm with the intent to sell or transfer it considered a straw sale by definition? I hate to shit in your cheerios but i would remove that section from the OP.

Straw buy

Really...this is akin to: "Hey man, is that mag preban?".... [rolleyes]

Mike, I got my YHM forend from a father-son sort of operation based in FL called Brightflashlights. http://brightflashlights.com/

I would HIGHLY recommend them. They said they get items in stock pretty often, they have the best prices, and shipping is included. I got the forend 2 days afer ordering.
+1 to Brightflashlights. I bought my forearm off a guy on gunbroker but I picked up the YHM barrel wrench from Kevin for less than anyone else was charging and he had it to me fast. He's good people.

Any chance I'd be able to borrow that off you at some point? I'm right down the street in Newton.

Also, what kind of grease did you use to assemble it. I heard some people sware by only using the milspec grease, while others say any moly grease that doesn't contain graphite is ok.

Mike

Sure, you're welcome to borrow it. I'm not sure what grease was used on mine because I had someone do it for me (didn't have access to a vise or receiver block).

Well, the barrel came yesterday and unfortunately I am at school now so I don't have any pics for you. I ordered a sabre defense 14.5 inch mid length barrel.

Now I just need to get the compensator pinned and welded.

Also, I have a gas collar that attaches with set screws. Are there any recommendations for installing this so it won't move? I don't believe there are any indents in the barrel for the set screws.

Thanks,

Mike

If you're taking the barrel to someone to pin and weld the brake, you can probably have them dimple the barrel for the gas block too.

Mike, if you're going from a barrel blank, I'd suggest dropping a little dough and following Stef's advice...It's a pretty critical part of the process, so why not have a smith pin your brake and set up your gas system....Can't wait to see the final product!

This is the barrel I got:
http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1473&idcategory=113

I will have a smith pin the brake, the question is whether or not the barrel is dimpled already (don't believe it is), and if it's not, whether or not that is something I can do myself or should just have a smith do (I have a vice and press. The gas block does need to go on before the comp as it will not fit over the compensator.

Mike

It won't be dimpled already, because they have no idea what gas block you would be using. If anything, they would drill it to fit a standard front sight post but Addax's page says it's not. If you haven't done it before, you might as well have the smith do it when he pins the brake and leaving nothing to doubt.

Barrel and MBUS

Came home tonight and took a look at the packages I had. The MBUS (magpul back up sights) and Sabre Defense Barrel came. Very exciting. I decided to mock together the upper just for pics (no wrench tightening or anything) and to get an idea of what it would look like.

First off, my thoughts on the MBUS: For a polymer item, I am impressed. These things are very solid, they've got some mass to them, I really thing you'd have to work at it to brake them, I mean really work at it. The rear sight was a little bit hard to adjust but I'm sure the nob will brake in given time.

DSCN3843.jpg

DSCN3845.jpg

DSCN3846.jpg

DSCN3847.jpg

The barrel also came. It is beautiful. 14.5 inches, 16 inches with the extended compensator.

DSCN3841.jpg

DSCN3840.jpg

And here it all is mocked together

DSCN3836.jpg

DSCN3838.jpg

DSCN3837.jpg

I plan on bringing it by Remsport on my way back up to college to have them pin the brake and probably mill the barrel where the gas block goes for the set screws, though I want to look a little more into doing that myself.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom