My Winchester M1 Carbine amazes me.

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I'm a long way from a good marksman although I did shoot an M14 and qualify as an Army 'expert' nearly 40 years ago.

Today, I like to plink with my old military rifles and these old eyes are content to shoot in the 'minute of man' category.

That being said, I have to praise my old carbine. Somehow, it fits me just perfectly and when I speak to it just right, it absolutely amazes me.

I can't really get into 100 yd shooting as I have trouble just seeing the target at that distance so I usually stay with the 50 yd berm at my club.

Last Monday I took the grandkids to the range and brought Winny with me. I set a target up at about 40 yards for me to shoot at. The kids were shooting their .22's at metal flip/reset targets at the same distance. My 13 yr old granddaughter took 5 shots at the flippy things and with those shots hit all four flippers and then the reset. She was overjoyed, as was I.

In response, I leaned over the bench and put my left elbow on it, supporting the front of the rifle with my left hand and shot it that way. I don't know what you'd call that 'stance'. It's the same 'stance' that my grandaughter used. I took aim with my carbine and put 4 rounds in the bullseye all touching each other.

Now I know 40 or so yards is no great distance but I'm amazed that I can do it and it attests to the quality of those old guns.

When I first got it, I had the benefit of some very useful tips and some good 'zeroing' in of the gun by a friend who really knows his stuff, and at that time I was able to put several rounds thru the same hole a couple of times at 50 yards.

This gun just seems to know where I want the bullets to go.

It's got to be the gun because I'm just not that good!

Anyone else have a carbine like this? Or any other gun for that matter? One that just seems to outshoot anything else you have?

carbine.jpg

Although a lot of people complain that the .30 carbine is underpowered, we need to remember that it was intended to do duty ILO a pistol, not a rifle. And my closest friend from Vietnam is collecting a disability because he was shot with one the opposition had picked up.

The .30 carbine isn't underpowered when you place the shots right.

I have a Saginaw carbine (back in Maryland and staying there for a while because I live in Boston) and it performs like I imagine it did out of the factory back in 1944.

When I first got it, I had the benefit of some very useful tips and some good 'zeroing' in of the gun by a friend who really knows his stuff, and at that time I was able to put several rounds thru the same hole a couple of times at 50 yards

Oh please do share these tips!

Back
Top Bottom