Neck Tension Press Test... How Hard To Press?

So I am wondering just how hard you have to press to test the neck tension when using the "press test". I have been experimenting with Lee FCD crimping my 55gr FMJBT 223 rounds and I have to put a very visible crimp on them to get them to pass (I think too much crimp to feel safe about using them). But from a light crimp all the way up to a heavier crimp they have been failing the press test and the bullet sets back till the mouth "catches" the far end of the cannelure. Pressing too hard? A non crimped one will sink right into the case.

Other rounds w/o cannelure just get a tiny tiny crimp and never fail (even w/o crimp) so I think neck tension is good but I have been having issues with inconsistency in the 55gr FMTBT.

Using Lee Pacesetter 223 Dies seating to COL of 2.200

So I am wondering just how hard you have to press to test the neck tension when using the "press test". I have been experimenting with Lee FCD crimping my 55gr FMJBT 223 rounds and I have to put a very visible crimp on them to get them to pass (I think too much crimp to feel safe about using them). But from a light crimp all the way up to a heavier crimp they have been failing the press test and the bullet sets back till the mouth "catches" the far end of the cannelure. Pressing too hard? A non crimped one will sink right into the case.

Other rounds w/o cannelure just get a tiny tiny crimp and never fail (even w/o crimp) so I think neck tension is good but I have been having issues with inconsistency in the 55gr FMTBT.

Using Lee Pacesetter 223 Dies seating to COL of 2.200

I think its time to check out your mandrel and measure the inside case measurement.... I have the lee pacesetter die set and even on my many times reloaded brass the tension is fine on the bulk hornady 55 FMJBT w/c with out crimping
you might want to check the size of the bullets in question ?

A resized case mouth is coming in at about .216-.217" (not sure if thats spec or not, that info is not in the books I have)

VMax and Match Bullets are coming in right at .224"

FMJBT bullets are coming it .223-.224", .213" at the cannelure groove. Just assumed it was normal tolerance for a "Bulk" type bullet, no?

Didn't check the mandrel yet.

You shouldn't even need to crimp a 223, something is wrong with the necks or your sizing die or something. Or bullets out of spec? I've reloaded thousands of 223 and never crimped one. I've heard of guys that reload for automatics that don't even crimp.

I don't even crimp my machine gun ammo.

What brand of bullets?

How are you measuring the inside of the case mouth?

I don't even crimp my machine gun ammo.

What brand of bullets?

How are you measuring the inside of the case mouth?

Hornady.

Top side of dial caliper.

All other bullets are good to go just these im seeing the issue with.

Also i appreciate allvthe help, one day ill be making it to one of your classes

Small IDs like that are tough to measure accurately without pin gages.

I have no idea what might be causing your problem.

Can you try a different sizing die?

Was thinking maybe residual case lube?... i use the hornady case lube spray wich does leave things quite slippery

I use a push test and then i give them a slam test. The projo doesnt get pushed into the feedramp it gets slammed.

The only real issue for me is if i try to pull down .223 it screws up the neck tension/dimension and even if i run them through the sizing die again it doesnt fix it.. Now that a have a decent amount of brass i toss anything that offends me or my press.

COL of 2.200 seems kind of short...but i havent used that projectile in awhile

Are you using a Lee case gauge trimmer thingy? I found those will wallow out the neck enough to cause the problem you're having.

Back
Top Bottom