Need help with 9mm reloads......wont case gauge?

yeah...if i were them i'd hold off shooting your reloads until you get more experience under your belt. just saying...;)
I started reloading about 10 years ago, maybe 40k rounds, not one issue. I recently bought a new Dillon and have been playing around with other calibers as well as started pouring lead. So yeah, I have some new stuff to try, that's why I'm asking questions.

Last edited:
yeah...if i were them i'd hold off shooting your reloads until you get more experience under your belt. just saying...;)
I've been reloading for 30 years and I still won't use my reloads in other peoples guns, and it's not that I'm not confident in my reloads but shit does happen and I don't need that on my conscious.

what are the taxes like on a ammunition manufacture? Do you have to pay taxes on the amount of ammo you make vs what sell?
Taxes here are brutal, would be on what I sell, I would have to be careful if I was using half the ammo for personal use because I write off what I purchased.
My wife is the accountant so dont quote me, I can build stinger missiles but I cant balance a checkbook, true story:)

That's for the .40 only.

I know that the 40 is legendary for its knockdown power. It's good to go for hunting brown bear and Kodiak. That I did hear on these forums. However the manual for my Glock 21 was for a 45 ACP, not a 40.
It may very well have been in the manual for my Glock 19 as well. But truth be told, I didn't read that one.

I know that the 40 is legendary for its knockdown power. It's good to go for hunting brown bear and Kodiak. That I did hear on these forums. However the manual for my Glock 21 was for a 45 ACP, not a 40.
It may very well have been in the manual for my Glock 19 as well. But truth be told, I didn't read that one.
You left out that the .40 also passed all my 9mm plunk tests!;)

It’s just a liability thing. God forbid you’re reloads blows up their gun and/or injures them it could be problematic.

I don't shoot other people's reloads. I don't shoot ammo I pick up off the ground. No telling what's in those loads.

I've given other people my reloads to shoot. Not often and usually close friends - but I gave a competitor at a match an ammo box full of my reloads because his weren't running his gun properly. I've had my loads chrono'd half a dozen times, (besides my own chrono), and I don't load hot - so I wasn't concerned. He's a reloader also, and I told him how they were loaded, (124 grn Xtreme, 4.0 grn TiteGroup).

That was slightly unusual. I offered him my gun and rig, (G34 CO), but he was running PCC and told me that the problem was definitely the ammo, not his gun - that he'd just loaded the rounds he was shooting and hadn't tested them enough.

I didn't think about the possibility of my rounds failing catastrophically in his firearm - perhaps I should have.

Did you check to make sure your sizing die is screwed all the way down to the shell plate?

This is often caused by over crimping. Taper crimp just enough to remove the flare.

The other cause can be the Dillon sizing die. It undersizes 9mm too much and the case can bulge when you seat. I've loaded tens of thousands of 9mm on a 1050. At first, I had some rounds that wouldn't gage. I replaced the Dillon sizing die with a Hornady and have had no more issues. Make sure you set the die so that it's only a few thousandths away from the shell plate when the ram is all the way up.

Lead bullets are a bad idea in a stock Glock barrel because of the polygonal rifling. Unless the alloy and velocity are right, the bullet won't obdurate enough to completly fill the rifling, leaving a gap between the bullet and the rifling that allows hot gas to jet by. The hot gas cuts the lead and deposits it into the rifling ahead of the bullet. The build up can cause a pressure situation you want no part of.

Someone asked about ammo taxes...

Ammo manufacturers have to pay the FAET (Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax). The federal tax the manufacturer has to pay on ammo is 11%. That's right - for every dollar you spend on ammo, $0.11 goes to the federal government.

This is often caused by over crimping. Taper crimp just enough to remove the flare.

The other cause can be the Dillon sizing die. It undersizes 9mm too much and the case can bulge when you seat. I've loaded tens of thousands of 9mm on a 1050. At first, I had some rounds that wouldn't gage. I replaced the Dillon sizing die with a Hornady and have had no more issues. Make sure you set the die so that it's only a few thousandths away from the shell plate when the ram is all the way up.

Lead bullets are a bad idea in a stock Glock barrel because of the polygonal rifling. Unless the alloy and velocity are right, the bullet won't obdurate enough to completly fill the rifling, leaving a gap between the bullet and the rifling that allows hot gas to jet by. The hot gas cuts the lead and deposits it into the rifling ahead of the bullet. The build up can cause a pressure situation you want no part of.

Someone asked about ammo taxes...

Ammo manufacturers have to pay the FAET (Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax). The federal tax the manufacturer has to pay on ammo is 11%. That's right - for every dollar you spend on ammo, $0.11 goes to the federal government.
They charge 11% on the cost of production?
Before it sells? I knew there was a manufacturing tax just not sure how it works.

Lead bullets are a bad idea in a stock Glock barrel because of the polygonal rifling. Unless the alloy and velocity are right, the bullet won't obdurate enough to completly fill the rifling,

obdurate?

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of obdurate

1a : stubbornly persistent in wrongdoing
an unrepentant, obdurate sinner
1b : hardened in feelings
The obdurate enemy was merciless.

2 : resistant to persuasion or softening influences
obdurate in his determination
remaining obdurate to her husband's advances

Other sites have similar definitions. Is this a weirdo special case only for ballistics?

obdurate?

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of obdurate

1a : stubbornly persistent in wrongdoing
an unrepentant, obdurate sinner
1b : hardened in feelings
The obdurate enemy was merciless.

2 : resistant to persuasion or softening influences
obdurate in his determination
remaining obdurate to her husband's advances

Other sites have similar definitions. Is this a weirdo special case only for ballistics?
replace the the d with a t

Back
Top Bottom