NES Coyote hunt

Based on response and interest in the various coyote threads, I figured I'd start an official thread on the topic to gauge interest and try to get something together before the season ends on March 7th.

So, are you guys close enough to go to Myles Standish State Forest in Plymouth? Or is there another area that would work better for the majority of those interested? I've only been up there once with my father, but we managed to call in a small pack within the first 10 minutes at our second stand.

Second, day time or night time hunt? -
If we go to Myles Standish, we'd have to use shotguns regardless of the time of day as it's a wildlife management area, but if we went to a non-WMA area, it's my understanding of the abstracts that we could use any rifle or pistol our little coyote killing hearts desired. [mg]

Lastly, anyone that would consider themselves a veteran or experienced coyote hunter, feel free to come forward with any suggestions on location, tactics, etc.

In. Got a Mossy 500 and an AR, so whichever works.

If we can't get this done by Mar 7th, then I'd be up for getting an NH non-res hunting permit to go after the little bastards in the north country.

I'm in, MA or NH let me know. Just got my hunter certification from MWA today in the mail, going to get my hunting license next week hopefully.

An AR/AK Coyote hunt sounds good to me.[rofl]

I seem to remember something about 22 rimfire after 9 PM?

Shotguns only on wildlife management areas.

Whoa, lots of interest!! I'm guessing we'll have to split up into small groups, maybe 3 or 4 people and spread out where ever we end up, shouldn't be a problem in Myles Standish.

What day of the week would work for you guys? I could do a thursday or friday night, or pretty much any morning during the week.

Shotguns only on wildlife management areas.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_fox.htm

8. HUNTING IMPLEMENTS: It is lawful to hunt fox, coyote, and bobcat with rifles, shotguns, handguns, or archery, provided that:

(a) on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail season, only shotguns and archery may be used;

(b) during the hours from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber, and rifles to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle;

(c) coyote may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than FF, provided that when coyote are hunted during the shotgun deer season, they may additionally be hunted with those shotgun cartridges that are lawful for the hunting of deer (i.e., including buckshot and slugs);

(d) fox and bobcat may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than #1 birdshot.

http://www.andovertownsman.com/local/local_story_028165539.html

http://www.wickedlocal.com/roslindale/news/lifestyle/x1452242735/Coyote-takes-a-winter-stroll

myles standish is five mins from here-- me and the BF are down for any day, any time in mass.

this will give me an excuse to get a new rifle.

it is shotgun only or .22 @ night... any other time you can use anything, except during certain upland bird seasons as stated above.

Last edited:
Ahh okay, looks like ARs and AKs are ok then!! [laugh]***

I'm gonna try to get my Dad to get his license and go this weekend. Do you guys want to go at night or in the day time?

***MA compliant versions.

Last edited:
All you need is a 2009 hunting license correct? Coyotes don't need to be tagged or anything so I think it's just the hunting license.

I'm ready with my .22 or higher caliber if needed.

All you need is a 2009 hunting license correct? Coyotes don't need to be tagged or anything so I think it's just the hunting license.

I'm ready with my .22 or higher caliber if needed.

This is wrong.

They DO need to be "tagged" in MA. Actually, the word here is "sealed", though they also refer to "tagged" in the second part.

According to page 11 of the abstracts:
"Furbearer Check Stations: Any wild fox, coyote, fisher, wild mink, river otter, or beaver killed must be taken to an official check station to be sealed by an agent of the Division of Fisheries & Wildlife within four working days of the end of season for each species. Bobcat must be tagged with official seals within four working days of the date harvested. Sealing is not required for weasel, raccoon, opossum, skunk, and muskrat.
Check stations are located at all Wildlife District Headquarters, Bitzer and Sunderland State Fish Hatcheries,NewburyWMAHeadquarters,andWestboro Field Headquarters (Monday -Friday excluding holidays).Coyotesmaybecheckedatotherlocations; visit our website at www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw or call Westborough Field Headquarters. Call check station prior to bringing animals for sealing."

This is from page 12 of the abstracts:
"Coyote and fox must be tagged within four working days of the end of the season."

Click here for the abstracts

Some further info: Trapping and Furbearer Regulations

I saw a dead coyote this morning on the side of 290 east right before the solomon pond mall exit.

In New Hampshire there is no closed season on coyotes. [wink]

Last edited:
For you NH residents.

There is no closed season in NH for coyote.

You can use .223 as long as you don't load more than 5 rounds. Doesn't matter what the mag size is.

You DO NOT have to tag the kills.

Night hunting requires a permit filed with the F&G office. All you have to do is email or call them and they will send you one.

Back
Top Bottom