New bolt finish

Here's what a sanblaster will do to dull your bolts.

DSC01068.jpg

Ahhh, it see now... You're the boltman.[smile] I've seen your work and read posts about it on other forums. Parallax Bill's I think mainly.

For myself, being in the auto body field I have lots of tools and metal working goodies at my disposal including all kinds of sanding/grinding/buffing goodies. 3M and Norton both have a whole line of prep discs for angle die grinders. I refinished my Romanian AK bolt with one of the coarse maroon ones and even removed grind marks from machining with it.

What do you do for protection on the blasted bolts after? Being a hunting rifle I would think oils from someone's hand or moisture from the air would cause surface rust if they weren't treated after.

Ahhh, it see now... You're the boltman.[smile]
What do you do for protection on the blasted bolts after? Being a hunting rifle I would think oils from someone's hand or moisture from the air would cause surface rust if they weren't treated after.

I usually cover the polished bolts with oil before I ship them out. I just bought a sandblasting cabinet today. I guess it will be a trial for me to see what happens. I will oil them up before shipping them out. That should protect them. I'm also thinking of doing some wild coatings maybe.

Last edited:
Jim,
I just checked your website, nice work.
I like the looks of the ATI bolt.
Will that one work without stock modification?
TIA, Jack

Jim,
I just checked your website, nice work.
I like the looks of the ATI bolt.
Will that one work without stock modification?
TIA, Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the kind words. That bolt is so low that the wood stock needs to be notched. Here's what it looks like in a wooden stock.

ATIHankinswoodstock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom