• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New CT 'Assault Weapons' registration now open....

The only reason why they want registration, is so they know where to go when they confiscate.

It's not new though. In CT you already have to file a DPS3C form when you transfer a firearm. It has buyer/seller identifying data including CT permit numbers, description of firearm - and an auth code from the SLFU. Four copies - one for buyer, one for seller, one for LEO in buyer's town - AND - tada - one for the SLFU.

If you moved in CT and brought firearms with you - those aren't in their database. But, every single (legal) transfer within the state has this DPC3C form requirement. Plus of course if an FFL is involved, there's the 4473.

The only reason why they want registration, is so they know where to go when they confiscate.
When you log in, you find that they already have a list of essentially every gun you've ever bought in CT as well as your address without even entering it. That's what the DSP-3-C is for. So they already know and it wouldn't take much more than an email for anyone else to as well.

Last edited:
There were some 100,000 Assault Weapons that were never registered in 2013.

What is their status and the status of their owners?

I thought it was illegal to ask/force people to register their guns?

I believe, (please note that precise word), that it's illegal for the state of CT to keep a "registry". They seem to be weaseling that they're merely "tracking transfers".

However you choose to view this - their list of what firearms you posess is readily available from them, all you have to do is ask. That list for me contained all firearms transferred to me while I was a CT resident. Including some that I'd subsequently transferred to other parties.

New CT 'Assault Weapons' registration now open....​

The answer by all CT residents should be, "No Thank You......now please go fvck yourselves".

The last time CT required additional registration, (after Sandy Hook) - there was indeed wide spread failure to comply. I have not heard of anyone who was subsequently prosecuted merely on the basis of failure to register. However, and it's a big "however" - if you're arrested/investigated for anything else, it's a potential additional charge, (or charges).

That doesn't matter to a criminal - criminals break laws. For the average law-abiding gun owner, it's a thought provoking problem. From a free state, like you in Kentucky, me in Georgia - it's easy to say "go fvck yourselves"; for a Connecticut resident with a job, house, wife, kids - it's not quite that simple. An arrest for this crap can seriously jam you up.

Some of my friends down here are very closely watching the pistol/arm brace ATF bullshit - because it has the same sort of implications and problems.

There were some 100,000 Assault Weapons that were never registered in 2013.

What is their status and the status of their owners?
All it takes is a few to make an example out of. Even if they haven't so far, we've seen what the current gestapo is capable of. So perhaps the better question is, what if you're one of those few? What will those outside of the aforementioned few do to support you and your family throughout the legal process? What's the status of those few who have been taken to court by their state or federal govt. on illegal gun charges?

That's how they roll.

Frankly, if most refuse to register, probably more of the same. As has been mentioned, they already know what everyone has from our DPS-3-C's so they can call the latest political grandstanding whatever they want...'expanded assault weapon ban', 'save the children act', etc. The fact that they got it done is more important than how they enforce it. But as has also been mentioned, if you screw up with the law otherwise, it could be a major tack-on.

Whether we register or not, they know and they'll have to do an all-out confiscation if they want to take it...and by then everything has gone to hell anyway. That's how CT gun owners live, knowing that this is today and that could be tomorrow. So register or not, same shit....at least now they can't bust me just for having a stock on it which I prefer, even though again that could change tomorrow and then it's on like Donkey Kong. We've already 'complied' just by being here.

Last edited:
When you log in, you find that they already have a list of essentially every gun you've ever bought in CT as well as your address without even entering it. That's what the DSP-3-C is for. So they already know and it wouldn't take much more than an email for anyone else to as well.
Where is this list located at? Can you provide a link?
I have an account with DPS but cannot find any list.. Forgive me, Im basically computer stupid!

Gave a quick look thru their list, boy is it ffuuuucked up.
Has stuff I transferred to FFL's many many moons ago...
Probably why there was no aggressive enforcement after the first registration period, they don’t know what people truly have.

So..........

....now that the brace rule has been put on hold for quite a while...for this who have registered as an 'assault weapon, can they not have an actual braced pistol with a barrel less than 12" and OAL less than 26"? When the brace rule took effect and we could register as an SBR, it had to stay an 'other' so as not to be an 'assault weapon'...but if the state's 'assault weapon' registration is done, and now you don't have to take the brace off, it seems that technically you can have an AR pistol, or even change it to a folding stock?

Sure are taking their sweet time with these.
Back in 2013 it was something like four to five months before people started getting their approved AW certs back from SLFU.

SLFU's "how-to" AW registration PDF does warn people it will take a "substantial" amount of time to process the application. They indicate the following on page 5:
*THE LAST DATE TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS IS 4/30/2024. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE US A SUBSTANTIAL TIME TO PROCESS THESE ASSAULT WEAPON APPLICATIONS. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE EMAIL WITH THE MAKE/MODEL/SERIAL NUMBER, SAYING THAT IT HAS BEEN SUBMITTED, THEN YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED.

So essentially....if you have 'others' that you registered with ATF, and/or if you have 'others' with 16" barrels...then there's no point having pistol braces on any of them since CT sees them as 'assault weapons' anyway (whether we registered with state or not). I.e...as of now, it's no more or less 'legal' with a stock or brace on it.

I guess with the recent injunction on the ATF brace/SBR ruling you can still keep it as an 'other' if it wasn't registered as an SBR so yeah you'd need a brace, 12" minimum barrel, vertical fore grip, etc. But those that were registered as SBR's but had to remain in 'other' configuration to be state legal and NOT an 'assault weapon'...now you can put a stock on since the state calls it an assault weapon anyway. Even while we're still waiting on our state registrations....the gun is still the same gun.

Not legal or compliance advice, but just by the letter of the law definition now.

Back
Top Bottom