• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Georgia gator record.

I was reading up on how to shoot a gator and assure a kill shot, because my dogs will be with us in Florida this winter and there are gators all around us..they have taken a 12.5 and 8.5 footers out within walking distance of my house, to say nothing of the 3 footer in my neighbors garage and a 2 footer in my other neighbors pool....

It turns out shooting them just makes them mad, the kill shot region is the size of a quarter and it is on the back of their head.

I'll still empty the magazine into one of need be, but they are heavily armored it seems

I was reading up on how to shoot a gator and assure a kill shot, because my dogs will be with us in Florida this winter and there are gators all around us..they have taken a 12.5 and 8.5 footers out within walking distance of my house, to say nothing of the 3 footer in my neighbors garage and a 2 footer in my other neighbors pool....

It turns out shooting them just makes them mad, the kill shot region is the size of a quarter and it is on the back of their head.

I'll still empty the magazine into one of need be, but they are heavily armored it seems
Probably a function of armor and a really small reptile brain

Caliber of choice for a 14-foot gator?

As most gators do, he began to barrel roll at the boat, wrapping himself up in the ropes. However, Derrick was able to dispatch the gator with a shot to the head with a 40-caliber Glock.

Placement over caliber: .22 LR is more than enough for that tiny reptilian brain. You can't miss it with a big enough caliber to make a difference.

Waiting for your gator-dispatching via Daisy Red Ryder Youtube. :D.

There was an ancient mega-croc (gator -whatever) episode of Secrets of hte Dead on PBS this weekend. They found a 40+ft one. It "stood" about waist-high to a man. I guess when they look at growth cycles, it didn't cycle down after 10-12 yrs but kept growing for the next 10-15 years, adding an additional 1-2ft per year of length.

Ditto for some mega-python thing as well found nearby.

I dunno. I just can't imagine enough forage for a reasonable population of either of these creatures out there. Obviously the fossil record is there, but it defies any law of conservation of food that I believe exists.

There was an ancient mega-croc (gator -whatever) episode of Secrets of hte Dead on PBS this weekend. They found a 40+ft one. It "stood" about waist-high to a man. I guess when they look at growth cycles, it didn't cycle down after 10-12 yrs but kept growing for the next 10-15 years, adding an additional 1-2ft per year of length.

Ditto for some mega-python thing as well found nearby.

I dunno. I just can't imagine enough forage for a reasonable population of either of these creatures out there. Obviously the fossil record is there, but it defies any law of conservation of food that I believe exists.
Global warming and slightly different atmospheric conditions likely created an abundance of plants and prey

Back
Top Bottom