• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer hide tanning places in New England?

The Anchor

NES Member
My buddy's son harvested his first deer and they want to have the hide tanned.

Is there anyone in NE who still does offer that service?

Thanks

Last edited:
Whoever processes the deer may know of someone. I had two done back in the 90's. They DO look good but don't take well to a lot of use if they are hair on. It tends to break off with the hair being hollow. I'm glad I have them but if I ever decide to have another, it would be with hair off next time. That would give me a hide that I could use to make some small crafts if I wanted.

Whoever processes the deer may know of someone. I had two done back in the 90's. They DO look good but don't take well to a lot of use if they are hair on. It tends to break off with the hair being hollow. I'm glad I have them but if I ever decide to have another, it would be with hair off next time. That would give me a hide that I could use to make some small crafts if I wanted.

The winter hair is hollow and brittle so the hair is very fragile as deerdad said. Hang it on a wall if possible and it should hold upwell and also provide a good reference for learning what color and length of hair is where on a deer. Very useful Information for a hunter trying to determine where he, or she, hit their deer.

Some ideas here:

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=172651&MESSAGES=7&state=OR

Back
Top Bottom