New low-tech tool for my bug out bag.

doobie

Banned
When I lived 7 miles from work it would have been easy to have to bug out with/without my car to get home. But now that I'm much further away, it will be a bit harder. Thanks to google maps I now have maps of how to get from work to home via back roads and "walk-able" roads. Hopefully in theory if I need I can use them to drive some or part of the way, if not, walk it. It claims 58.7 miles or 19.5 hours. That comes to two long days or 3 moderate days. My bug out bag can definitely support me for that.

I do however wish google maps had trails in there or topology so that I could say, "shortest walk-able route; even off the road" and get that.

Anyone else keep maps like this in their car/BOB?

Hopefully by the time I re-enforce my BOB with winter gear I'll be 30 miles closer to home.

I keep topo maps in my GHB, and my BOB. Along with actually having them, you have to know how to use them.

Same here. I keep a series of maps (and a compass) from state road to overland hiking topo maps for the 60 miles surrounding my home in my ready bag assuming, as you did, that I may need to walk home some day.

Off Topic... I thought I had prepared for almost anything. What scenario are you guys envisioning that you are leaving your car behind? Our plan is for the family to get home as quick as possible and evaluate if further bugging out is required. If I have to walk home from work it could take 3 or 4 days. I have a major river that I would have to cross and if the major roads are not available, the seconadry river crossings are way out of the way for walking. I'm not judging in any way. I am wondering what scenario I am not thinking of. Short of an EMP blast, why am I leaving my car behind?

Off Topic... I thought I had prepared for almost anything. What scenario are you guys envisioning that you are leaving your car behind? Our plan is for the family to get home as quick as possible and evaluate if further bugging out is required. If I have to walk home from work it could take 3 or 4 days. I have a major river that I would have to cross and if the major roads are not available, the seconadry river crossings are way out of the way for walking. I'm not judging in any way. I am wondering what scenario I am not thinking of. Short of an EMP blast, why am I leaving my car behind?

Well, there is first of all major interstates being closed. Roads being closed by 'officials.' too many other cars and choosing to GTFO rather than wait for everyone else to leave before heading home.

Maybe that's where my flaw is. I am assuming that I would be home before the 'officials' got there marching orders to close things down. As for conjestion, I have many routes home and most of them are in the opposite direction of what I think traffic patterns would be. But this does open my eyes to something I never considered.... walking home.. Hmmmm.....

Maybe that's where my flaw is. I am assuming that I would be home before the 'officials' got there marching orders to close things down. As for conjestion, I have many routes home and most of them are in the opposite direction of what I think traffic patterns would be. But this does open my eyes to something I never considered.... walking home.. Hmmmm.....

Good. Consider this. The "event" occurs while I am at work, on on an errand, or visiting a friend 30 miles away. The roads will likely be clogged. Like you, my goal is to get home, not to "bug out" per se, or at least not at this stage.

Therefore I get in my truck and start out. At some point on the way home the roads will likely get clogged. At that point, depending on the severity of the situation, I put in in four wheel drive and travel the shoulder/Median/Front Yard etc until that option ceases to be available. At that point I grab my ready bag out of the back consult my compass and map to determine the best direct route. Because I'm on foot, traveling "as the crow files" is vital. I haven't the time or the energy (which is essentially time) to do anything else. I know I can walk 40-50 miles in a very long day with a moderate load and so I plan to walk from there. I live in Western, MA at the 91/Rt2 intersection. Even If I leave the truck on Storow Drive by Fenway, I can easily be home in Greenfield in 2-3 days with the supplies in my ready bag.

Sure, there is the EMP possibility, and several others that explain why one wouldn't have the use of a vehicle, but in the end, the only thing that's important is planning for it's absence.

Back
Top Bottom