New LTC Lost in Mail. Suggestions?

Hello all...

I've been lurking here since the fall, but kept quiet waiting for my LTC to (hopefully) come through. I was interviewed and printed in October, but I hadn't heard anything, so I followed up with the issuing police department this afternoon. They confirmed that my application was received on November 13, and mailed out shortly thereafter.

Unfortunately, my USPS mail seems to be screwed up (I've had other mail delivery problems in the past) and have not received my permit in the mail.

A call to the local post office told me that there was no undelivered mail to that address, and none in the general delivery pile.

So, somewhere out in the ether is my new first issue LTC, and I'm at a loss as to what I should do about it at this point. I have a call in to the postmaster, who may or may not provide some help when I speak to them, and the issuing agency said there wasn't anything they could do at this point either. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Talk to the issuing officer. (S)he can order a free replacement. Since the LTCs are mailed to the PD, not the applicant, you may be able to convince him or her to hold the replacement for you at the station due to the mail issues.

I doubt it's your mail that's screwed up.

Did you ask the officer if your license had been issued?

Something fishy going on here. Either you did not understand what they were telling you, or they haven't gotten the license back yet. Maybe both.

Did you positively confirm a license has been issued, or do you just "wait hopeful"?

Thanks for the quick replies.

I doubt it's your mail that's screwed up.

Quite possible, but I have had delivery problems in the past, no mail for at least 20 days, and last week, I got someone else's mail.

Did you ask the officer if your license had been issued?

Yes. According to the officer (and relayed through the receptionist) the license card was received by the department on Nov. 13, and mailed to me "a day or so later". So, I can't confirm for sure that a license was issued beyond that.

Edit... nevermind [grin]

If your PD says your LTC was mailed out to you... and you haven't received it then I would ask your PD to have a free replacement issued. Ask your PD to hold on to it when it arrives... and that you'd like to come by the station to pick it up due to mail delivery problems.

Last edited:
Edit... nevermind [grin]

If your PD says your LTC was mailed out to you... and you haven't received it then I would ask your PD to have a free replacement issued. Ask your PD to hold on to it when it arrives... and that you'd like to come by the station to pick it up due to mail delivery problems.

This. And tell them to reset the PIN # to something else when they order the replacement.

Hello all...

Unfortunately, my USPS mail seems to be screwed up (I've had other mail delivery problems in the past) and have not received my permit in the mail.

A call to the local post office told me that there was no undelivered mail to that address, and none in the general delivery pile.

I don't know whats going on with USPS , this year I had to deliver my neighbors mail to them, their mail left in my mailbox

last Saturday, I had to deliver the mail to 64, 66, and 68 ****** Street, all left in my mailbox, I wonder how many of my mail are sitting in someone elses mailbox....

I don't know whats going on with USPS , this year I had to deliver my neighbors mail to them, their mail left in my mailbox

last Saturday, I had to deliver the mail to 64, 66, and 68 ****** Street, all left in my mailbox, I wonder how many of my mail are sitting in someone elses mailbox....

Same problem with the USPS here...give it another week and call your licensing officer and ask him to re-issue the permit. Hopefully if it ended up in someone else's box they will forward it along, but that could take a few days to work its way through the system.

Good luck.

-MS

OK, thanks for the help here. I'll give it a week, and try the issuing officer again.

Now, as a follow-up, does anyone know what the time limit is before the department can re-issue the permit? When I first learned that the permit had been issued and mailed, I asked the licensing officer if there was anything that could be done, and was told "it's too early to do a re-issue." Does this sound about right?

2nd Follow-Up: Terraformer: pardon my ignorance, but I didn't realize an LTC had a PIN. I understand not wanting to have a "lost" LTC with my name and number on it, but is this something different? What would I use the PIN for?

Thanks guys for the help.

OK, thanks for the help here. I'll give it a week, and try the issuing officer again.

Now, as a follow-up, does anyone know what the time limit is before the department can re-issue the permit? When I first learned that the permit had been issued and mailed, I asked the licensing officer if there was anything that could be done, and was told "it's too early to do a re-issue." Does this sound about right?

2nd Follow-Up: Terraformer: pardon my ignorance, but I didn't realize an LTC had a PIN. I understand not wanting to have a "lost" LTC with my name and number on it, but is this something different? What would I use the PIN for?

Thanks guys for the help.

Most shops have a finger print machine so the PIN is not needed. A handful of shops do not. They use the PIN to authenticate you as you. When you buy something you need the PIN in these shops. If these idiots sent the PIN in the same envelope as the LTC then you can see how that works and how that is a bad thing. Get them to reset it out of an abundance of caution.

Don't trust USPS, they've lost so much of my mail we pay everything online or in person as we got tired of paying the stop check fees. I still have friends and family waiting for their invites to my wedding. I got married in 2006.[laugh]

Now that you all mention it, I had to deliver several pieces of mail to my neighbors as of late as well. It seems to me that I've seen several cases of misdelivered mail on our street lately, but not enough to complain to the local postmaster yet.

In your cases, it might be time to do just that, however.

I would raise hell with the post office, call the regional postmaster and tell them about the mail in the wrong boxes, no mail for 20 days. there is ALWAYS mail, junk mail, and you have had none in 20 days? Then you get someone else's mail?! Someone is smoking some weed on the job here!

I had a whole shipment get lost from a catalog company last year, I called everyone. two weeks later they "find" it. Funny thing was it was not beat up, nothing was missing, and the label was attached and easy to read. I think someone hid it someplace to see if any inquiries came along, if not, freebie!

Best part, I got the company to replace the order, before the original one showed. I even asked them "what if the first one shows up?" They told me to enjoy it, the insurance company was buying the second one. [smile]

(It was Swiss Colony) YUM!

But all that aside, I would get your mail stuff straightened out asap!

there is ALWAYS mail, junk mail, and you have had none in 20 days? Then you get someone else's mail?! Someone is smoking some weed on the job here!

I couldn't agree more. The postmaster is first on the "people to harass" list this morning.

I've never had any mail lost (that I know about), but I had a Priority Mail package take 11 days to get from MA to Dallas, TX. Even more interesting was the express mail that took 14 days to arrive at my PO box (a USPS one, not a private box). That one was from a fed, so I told him to have a chat with his colleagues s in the postal inspection service :).

UPDATE:

I took your (collectively) advice and spoke to the postmaster. Seems the mail delivery route was a total Charlie Foxtrot, and they would re-deliver what had slipped through.

Got my LTC today. See you at the range.

MT

UPDATE:

I took your (collectively) advice and spoke to the postmaster. Seems the mail delivery route was a total Charlie Foxtrot, and they would re-deliver what had slipped through.

MT

Excellent! Glad to hear.

WAIT!!! REDELIVER??????

That means it never got delivered!

It was sitting at the post office. The postmaster should lose his/her job over this one!

UPDATE:

MT

funny, are the issueing LEO depart mailed the license then you need to pick it up?
I had to show my id when picking up mine. My wife had to go down later to pick up hers.

WAIT!!! REDELIVER??????

That means it never got delivered!

It was sitting at the post office. The postmaster should lose his/her job over this one!

IIRC, this year I saw on the news, more than 1 occasion where a mail carrier had numerous bags of mail they never delivered, some bags loaded with mail from 20 years ago, they were at the residence of the mail-carriers

The most interesting case I have direct familiarity with is a post office regularly delivering mail to a business, but keeping all the business reply mail (containing product orders) build up in a box at the post office since nobody seemed to know the procedure for handling this type of mail. Several month's worth eventually arrived in a single delivery.

newman-seinfeld-post-office.jpg

Back
Top Bottom