New Orleans Police Chief Pushes More Gun-Free Zones — Where Tourists Can’t Be Armed for Self-Defense

If it wasnt typical gun grabber bs I'd actually concede this one.. burbon st is no place for a gun fight.

But all the wards surrounding it make aleppo seem touristy... so f*** this dude for not cleaning up his ghetto ass city if im in nola I got a piece on me simple as that

Best friend went to a wedding in Nola a few years ago. Him and 5 others were robbed at gunpoint for their cell phones outside the venue. Called the cops, used Findmyiphone, located them in Hollygrove - cops said to contact their insurance companies. No one was going to get them.

Take away the police guns too. I mean let them lead the way in reducing the shootings.
If the police didn't have guns, then the police involved shooting will be reduced. Proven fact![rofl2]

Best friend went to a wedding in Nola a few years ago. Him and 5 others were robbed at gunpoint for their cell phones outside the venue. Called the cops, used Findmyiphone, located them in Hollygrove - cops said to contact their insurance companies. No one was going to get them.
Dude, no one's looking for stolen cars in NO, much less phones. My SIL lived in one of the very nice areas (Lake Front), was told to either expect broken windows or leave doors unlocked, don't bother calling the police.

Multiple car break ins, and at least one stolen truck. The best view of NO is in your rear view mirror, or out the side window of a jet leaving.

NOPD is historically one of the most corrupt departments in the US....
Until recently, the only way you could make a living at NOPD was to essentially be hired protection for businesses in various areas. Back in the early '00's, it was still paying 15 an hour and topped out at 20. New Orleans is a very expensive place to live due to water encroachment, it's essentially an island. I haven't looked recently, but they had billboards saying the starting pay was 40k a year a few years ago. Most work more hours at details than they do for the PD.

It also goes along with the way things just are down there. Nepotism, 'who you know', that kind of stuff is big down there. If you aren't a local, you're going to have a bad time getting anything started in that town. I used to be on the inside, to a certain extent. I saw what was going on, but was too low to ever reap any rewards. Probably wrong color as well.

Considering the local Target had starting pay in the high teens to 20/hr, why the hell would anyone want to be a cop there?

One of the few times in my adult life I had to defend myself was in New Orleans. Just off Canal Street heading to the Marriott entrance when three guys tried to jump my girlfriend and I.

As we turned off Canal, I saw two men talking to a third who was sitting on a milk crate panhandling. The two said goodbye to him and started walking the same way we were. As we were halfway down the block, the two ahead of us turned around. A quick look back and the one who had been sitting was coming up behind us. Pushed my girlfriend into the door of closed po-boy shop and drew, holding low ready. All tree turned and just walked away.

This was about 3PM on a sunny day as we were going back to the hotel to clean up and get ready for dinner.

A lot of people warn you about New Orleans after dark and not to wander certain areas, this showed me those warnings were no where near broad enough.

I think they have since redone the Marriott so you enter from Canal Street now. This was a little over 20 years ago, pre Katrina.

As we turned off Canal, I saw two men talking to a third who was sitting on a milk crate panhandling. The two said goodbye to him and started walking the same way we were. As we were halfway down the block, the two ahead of us turned around. A quick look back and the one who had been sitting was coming up behind us. Pushed my girlfriend into the door of closed po-boy shop and drew, holding low ready. All tree turned and just walked away.
Smart move to push your lady out of the way before action time.it always the woman that cling to their man arm and got him beat up.

If it wasnt typical gun grabber bs I'd actually concede this one.. burbon st is no place for a gun fight.

But all the wards surrounding it make aleppo seem touristy... so f*** this dude for not cleaning up his ghetto ass city if im in nola I got a piece on me simple as that

Concur. Having a bunch of vomiting drunken people with guns is probably not a good idea.

OTOH, I wouldn't feel safe in the general area without one.

OTOH2, I would say the police presence on Burbum St is equivalent to a Yankee's playoff game so I'm not sure you NEED a gun there in the first place.

OTOH3, how are you gonna make a shot with 5,000 of your closest drunk acquaintences around??? You ain't pulling.

OTOH4, I'd probably just avoid the whole damned city, so it don't confront me none. ;)

Concur. Having a bunch of vomiting drunken people with guns is probably not a good idea.

OTOH, I wouldn't feel safe in the general area without one.

OTOH2, I would say the police presence on Burbum St is equivalent to a Yankee's playoff game so I'm not sure you NEED a gun there in the first place.

OTOH3, how are you gonna make a shot with 5,000 of your closest drunk acquaintences around??? You ain't pulling.

OTOH4, I'd probably just avoid the whole damned city, so it don't confront me none. ;)
Nola is fun as f*** lol i very much enjoy drinking there

Nola is fun as f*** lol i very much enjoy drinking there

I don't get drunk. And having to wear your old shoes b/c of all the vomit (throw them out before you leave NOLA) is just wrong. Oh, and I hate that f'ing ragtime nasty-ass "jazz" music they play.

Hell, even my party-hardy BIL back in the day went to Mardi Gras. he said the teets all over were great but it stunk like vomit and he'd never go back. ROFL!!!

I'm just an old boring guy now. ;)

Back
Top Bottom