New S&W 1911 tolerance issues

I got a new S&W 1911 this Tuesday. Slide to frame fit seems good, barrel fit seems okay. The bushing seems tight in the slide, there may be a burr in there some where that needs working out as I see and feel the wear. I will be taking it to a Smith to once over it, get a fiber optic front sight, and verify my attempt at fitting a Wilson Combat thumb safety.

The main issue I am having is fitting new parts. I bought a new firing pin stop from Dawson Precision, the slow cam part that is like the EGW O/S firing pin stop. I don't know if it is made by EGW, but it dropped right in with no fitting, this is very different from my other S&W 1911 where alot of material had to be removed and it was a nice and tight fit (good thing).

Next I tried to put in a new trigger, same problem, the new Greider trigger dropped right in with zero fitting and has a bunch of slop. The factory trigger was absolutely embarassing.

I am going to call S&W tomorrow but it doesn't look good. The firing pin stop I can live with given that there is no risk of extractor clocking. I don't look forward to have the FPS dropping out and getting a firing pin in my face, but such is life. The trigger is unacceptable, and I am not sure what to do, did the Greider part come in more undersized then usual? I have fitted two Greider triggers in the past and they both were very snug, both to the same S&W 1911.

1911s, what a barrel of fun, you never know what your going to get.

My S&W 1911 bushing is very tight and needs a wrench to remove it.On the FPS I just purchased one from EGW and have to wait a bit to install it. The rest I'm afraid that this is not my area of expertise Sorry

Your taking a risk doing alot of this stuff yourself considering it takes some skill to be an smith or armorer, make sure this doesn't void the warrenty/legality of your modifications for your firearm or else your SOL. They should be tight until they are broken in.

They should be tight until they are broken in.
Tight is not the same as a burr. A burr is not good tight, it is localized and will eventually wear in and no longer be tight.

[EDIT]A shipping label is on route from S&W. The dance begins yet again. My last S&W 1911 needed three trips to them and a $40 trip to the gunsmith at the end of it to get it running.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom