• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which 1911?

Colt completion 70 series or S&W E Series?

This would be my first 1911, either would be a 5” barrel chambered in 45.

This would be mostly a range gun, maybe carried occasionally while scouting.

Out of the two I'd go with the more modern S&W E Series. I have both versions and they are both great. Additional safety features in the S&W make it better for you when carrying. There are a plethora of posts about 70 series shortfalls when carrying them. Never had that problem, but to many it means a difference.

My several Colt 1911s, in both 45 and 9mm, have all been 100% reliable and great shooters. There is also something special about having that Colt rampant pony emblem on the slide, which, in the ancient English heritage of Samuel Colt's family, represents the pony as a protector...which is what the Colt 1911 certainly is. If you look closely at that emblem, you will see that the colt is holding a broken lance across his legs and in his mouth, after having snapped it in two to protect his fallen knight owner from his charging opponent.

Went through this recently. I wanted a Colt in the worst way. Ordered a limited edition model to look at and after close inspection, went with a Dan Wesson. The new Colt was in .45 and it shipped with a 9mm magazine. The rear sight on the Colt was secured with a set screw, that screw was never tightened at the factory and as you looked down the sights, that set screw was sticking up in your way. The trigger, while clean, was super heavy and the kicker for me was the way the gun sounded when you shook it. The fit was not terrible but you could hear the slide rattling on the frame. I really liked the style of the Colt and really wanted to buy it, but after looking at the Dan Wesson, it was an easy choice. I also own a S&W 1911 and it's a fine gun. I just think Colt is having some QC issues at the moment. Too bad.

I appreciate the feedback so far. I was leaning toward the e series due to drop safety. Hung up on the Colt for the noted reasons, there is just something about having a Colt made 1911, especially as my first and only 1911. I would consider a used Colt but haven’t any where I tend to shop. Hadn’t considered the Dan Wesson, based on price point. I understand getting what you pay for but as this is going to be used at the range 90% it’s hard for me to justify the added cost.

I have a Colt 1991 a gunsmith got ahold of at some point and gave it a carry package and accurized it as well. its more accurate than I am. Its notsomuch which maker as its arguably what's been done to it. or what one plans to do with it. They all need some tweaking as far as personalizing goes. Figure out what YOU"LL be doing with it and adjust accordingly. :cool:

If you are only going to have one and it’s between those 2, then I have to say Colt. Just for the history.

That being said, I have several colts but they aren’t nearly as nice an my Dan Wesson’s

Tried to buy the e series from mass firearms last week. From the time I added it to my cart to the I made it to check out it was gone. Maybe that’s a sign.

This would be my first and at the moment only but I have no doubt there will be others. I want one that’s gonna run reliably and I like the skeletonized trigger and hammer of the two models I listed. I also like the added texture on the grip of the e series. With that, nothing is off the table. I had narrowed it down to those two based on local availability, and reputation but I can easily be talked into something else. Are people still boycotting Springfield? Is the sig worth the extra $200? For my first 1911 should I be looking at a lower price point? In the word of 1911s there seems to be unlimited options.

Went through this recently. I wanted a Colt in the worst way. Ordered a limited edition model to look at and after close inspection, went with a Dan Wesson. The new Colt was in .45 and it shipped with a 9mm magazine. The rear sight on the Colt was secured with a set screw, that screw was never tightened at the factory and as you looked down the sights, that set screw was sticking up in your way. The trigger, while clean, was super heavy and the kicker for me was the way the gun sounded when you shook it. The fit was not terrible but you could hear the slide rattling on the frame. I really liked the style of the Colt and really wanted to buy it, but after looking at the Dan Wesson, it was an easy choice. I also own a S&W 1911 and it's a fine gun. I just think Colt is having some QC issues at the moment. Too bad.
Colt is now owned by the same company that owns DW isn't it?

I love and have some old Colts But love seeing these next posts. I bought a new Springer 30+ years ago and Mr Derr has had it twice. First for some refinement. Second a few years later for a complete overhaul. :cool:. Love my Derr Precision Springer.
Springfield makes some nice ones.

You should really look at Springfield. Great quality 1911’s and you can send it for customizing in the future. Once the 1911 bug gets you, your wallet is done for.

If your spending around 1k they are all honestly about the same. I normally just buy used. Check it over and then save quite a bit to get upgrades like front checkering.

I think in this case, the Colt offers a little more bang for the buck.
The Colt comes with G10 grips, Novak Fiber optic front sight - Adjustable Novak rear sights, and probably most importantly a National Match barrel. I am not sure if the E series has a Match barrel, but it doesn't mention it of the website.
The S&W is a series 80 so the Colt probably has a slightly better trigger as a series 70

Personally, I think the Colt looks a lot better because I have never been a fan of the S&W fish scale, slide serrations, and I don't like 1911's with external extractors. The Colt is much closer in design to the original. The S&W does have a checkered front strap and the Colt does not, and that does add cost.
But... fish scales? I would love to been in that meeting... " Will will be the only manufacturer to offer these unique serrations on our slides!" and that one guy in the back that didn't speak up, thinking " Yeah, no shit we will."

I have the Colt and have been very happy with it, but have heard plenty on praise from E-Series owners. Some people love the fish scales. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I bought my Colt almost new from an NES'r in the classifieds and he had sent it to Santurri for a new extractor and a reliability service, so in fairness, I can't say how it compares right out of the box, but I feel like mine punches above it's weight class. It is very accurate and very easy to shoot well. I have never had a malfunction, but like I said, it was tweaked a bit, and I have never run it super dirty. It's probably never seen more than 200 rounds between cleaning.

Whatever you choose, I am sure you will love the 1911. The long barrel and sweet trigger means that if I can see it, I can put a bullet in it... a big bullet.

1705776516279.jpeg 1705777176512.jpeg

I love and have some old Colts But love seeing these next posts. I bought a new Springer 30+ years ago and Mr Derr has had it twice. First for some refinement. Second a few years later for a complete overhaul. :cool:. Love my Derr Precision Springer.

All roads in the gun world lead to 1911s sooner or later, and then once you get there you find Greg [smile]

@Gerbs54 for whatever it’s worth, of my three Colts I bring my Springfield Operator 9mm to the range almost exclusively. I don’t know why, I just don’t feel bad beating on it. 9mm 1911s are also a laser beam once you get them tuned. There’s a reason many competition shooters use a 9mm 1911 platform.

Couple pics to add while we’re at it:

IMG_1436.jpeg

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1443.jpeg

I’d seriously question the credibility of anyone that actually suggests s&w 1911’s. Especially over a colt 1911.

Why’s that? Have a couple of S&W 1911s that function just fine without any upgrades needed. One in 9mm that I use for pin shoots with 1000s of rounds through it. To each their own but see no issue with S&W firearms

Back
Top Bottom