New Toy...

Went to S&W today to meet with the director of the training academy to discuss future courses and such, and get some training time with him (as he's a great instructor) and get instruction for the GF. She just got her LTC. We got her a MnP compact .40. He gave her a good 3 hour lesson, and she's a naturally good shot (most women are...) and now she's GTG with her LTC and MnP. She plans to take some courses and do some IDPA with me, so no "drop it in the purse and forget about it" BS for her...:cool:

I got her the MnP for a late B Day present. Aint that romantic?! :D

Anyway, my eye sees a gun from the Custom Shop. All hand built by one smith to each gun. # 79 of only 100 run. Retail was 2.5k. As an adjunct trainer to S&W, I get a discount, and the discount was too good to pass up, so I purchased it. We went to the S&W closed ranges. Egads this thing shoots well, and I own several custom 1911s... and accurate??!! I cut this card at 21ft/7 yards.

DSC04698.jpg

Like a lot of people, I really don't have the $$$ to be throwing around right now, but the damn discount was just too good. Wish I had never asked. :eek:

Please do give some specs. I saw a similar looking Smith 1911 at BassPro on Sunday and was surprised by the almost $1,900 price tag. I'm now curious as to how the two compare.

Wow, that is nice. Any idea about the particulars of the custom work? Trigger job, barrel fit, spring weights... stuff like that?

Particulars are it's all hand fitted by one smith. Slide and frame are hand lapped, match grade hand fitted barrel, hand fitted bushing, etc. Everything is done by a single smith.Trigger work is all hand done. feels like an 18lb recoil spring to me. Gun is still being broken in. With good quality range ammo (white box) it's been 100% at 200rnds, but with less quality reloads, it's iffy, but high end 1911s are like that any. So far, it's as good as any 1911 I have ever shot, and I have shot most of what's in the high end "custom production" stuff in the price range.

Please do give some specs. I saw a similar looking Smith 1911 at BassPro on Sunday and was surprised by the almost $1,900 price tag. I'm now curious as to how the two compare.

I couldn't tell you. Was what you saw from the custom shop? Some of their stuff in the Pro Line can be around that $$$. Usually the custom shop stuff is above 2k. I have taken a tour of the facilities myself and I can say they take their custom guns very seriously. The entire gun is tuned and balanced (something you really notice while shooting) and it takes a single smith approx 4 days to build one at a time I was told. I would say it's up there in quality with anything in the price range from SA, Wilson, etc.,* The slide to frame fit alone tells you someone spent some real time on it. It's also easy to tell the bushing was hand fitted, etc. Info from the site gives some good specifics:

* Hand Lapped Frame and Slide Rails
* Match Grade Barrels
* Polished Feed Ramps
* Precision Crowned Muzzles
* Hand Cut Chambers
* Hand Cut Transition Angles
* Hand Polished and Stoned Internal Actions
* Hand Fit and Lapped Barrel Bushings
* Checkered Front Straps

* = none of which you can get in this state anyway

Last edited:
Back