Newb question #2 of many (I'm usre)

Ok, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am still a new when it comes to firearms.

I was practicing loading my mags on my Beretta tonight and the thought crossed my mind.

Can I store the mags loaded? Easy answer is obviously yes.

But, if I leave a mag loaded for an extended period (weeks or a month or two), can it cause any type of deterioration with the springs and whatnot inside the magazine?

Again, probably a stupid question, but that's why you wise ones frequent this find board, to help us novice enthusiasts.

Thanks for the knowledge transfer in advance.

mods..please correct my spelling....to (I'm Sure)

Keeping a spring compressed doesn't wear out springs. Hundreds of thousands of cycles on a spring wears out springs.
There are some plastic mags that you shouldn't keep loaded to capacity, as the plastic will spread, but full metal mags? Load em up.

I posted this on another board where this debate seems to crop up once a year.

I'm not slamming you because you are new. But I want you to understand the correct answer from an engineer (me).

Springs do not wear from static loads. They take an initial set then degrade over time from cyclical loads.

There is no debate. Period. End of story.

Some folks load a round or two less than the full capacity so that the spring is not at full compression. The theory is that compressing it that last half-inch adds the most additional strain.

In theory, springs can take a set when statically loaded over time --"creep" as opposed to "fatigue", for the engineers. In practice, with modern metals, it's not a problem.

In theory, springs can take a set when statically loaded over time --"creep" as opposed to "fatigue", for the engineers. In practice, with modern metals, it's not a problem.

I wouldn't worry about creep much at room temperature. Until you get to around 40 or 50% of the material's melting point (metals only here, not plastics) nothing is creeping anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom