Newbie To ARs Has Questions

To all,

First thanks for your patience. I was familiar with revolvers and then pistols and now I am very strongly considering a AR-type rifle. I'm a little lost here as I have very limited experience/knowledge when it comes to rifles, let alone the AR15 specifically. I put about 100 rounds through an M4 (and an MP5SD the same day...ohhh that MP5!) and really had fun with it.

Purpose-wise, I am looking for a fun rifle for target/plinking and any SHTF scenerio. I have dreams of doing some kind of practical/combat type shooting competitions but that will really depend on how proficient I become with the weapon.

What I am concerned with is the features I should be looking for. I know I want a shorter version (16") in .223/5.56. I am aware of the Mass. limitations on features. Would likely be switching to an ACE Skeleton-type stock (is this a difficult/involved modification for the average person to perform?). Do A3 style uppers automatically have mounting rails? I will want to have options for mounting optics, etc.

How difficult are these weapons to maintain and to keep functional/ready. I have basic weapons cleaning knowledge (ie; have no problem breaking down Glocks & Berettas) but I'm not interested in becoming a gunsmith to keep my rifle in ready status.

I went to AR15.com and my head still hasn't stop spinning with regards to chromed barrels, this piston or that bolt, this boowangie and that doo-dad. I don't want a hot rod, I want a practical rifle that will be reliable, fun to shoot and easy to maintain.

Four Seasons is handy to me and will likely stop by once I have armed myself with some basic knowledge on the subject. Do the basic DPMSs/Bushmasters they stock pretty much fit what I am looking for?

Ok flame (and hopefully advise) away! :)

Four Seasons just sent out an email that they have some new Bushmaster M4s on hand. If I were you I'd run over there tomorrow and check them out!

How difficult are these weapons to maintain and to keep functional/ready.

The issue before this current one, SWAT magazine had an article by Pat Rogers on how to clean and maintain the carbine versions of the AR-15. Since he teaches carbine classes on a regular basis, he sees all the major brands plus a lot of custom (home-built ?) rifles and sees what works and what doesn't. I would advise anyone with questions on this platform to take Rogers' advice to heart for that reason.

http://www.swatmag.com/archive_2006/dec06.php

Last edited:
Buy a Bushmaster or DPMS M4 profile carbine now. You will spend $875-900. If you have some extra buy 5-6 high capacity magazines also. If you have a little extra still, buy a case of .223. You are looking at a $1200-1400 investment. LOCK THEM AWAY and buy as many books on the AR you can find. STUDY. STUDY MORE. When you think you know something, go to your local range and watch. If you get the right people to watch, introduce yourself and ask if they mind answering questions. Keep notes. Start an AR notebook. Once you are ready, break out that new rifle and shoot it. Be safe and have fun.

Purpose-wise, I am looking for a fun rifle for target/plinking and any SHTF scenerio. I have dreams of doing some kind of practical/combat type shooting competitions but that will really depend on how proficient I become with the weapon.

What I am concerned with is the features I should be looking for. I know I want a shorter version (16") in .223/5.56. I am aware of the Mass. limitations on features. Would likely be switching to an ACE Skeleton-type stock (is this a difficult/involved modification for the average person to perform?). Do A3 style uppers automatically have mounting rails? I will want to have options for mounting optics, etc.

How difficult are these weapons to maintain and to keep functional/ready. I have basic weapons cleaning knowledge (ie; have no problem breaking down Glocks & Berettas) but I'm not interested in becoming a gunsmith to keep my rifle in ready status.

I always thought the 16" was the long version[grin]
The ACE stock is easy to install, make sure it comes with or you get a buffer tube for it

The Ar is very easy to maintain. about 10 minutes of cleaning will keep it running, if you don't have time to clean, just add lube

I would go get one. DPMS, bushmaster RRA GMMG they are all great ARs

One... you can't go wrong with the better known brands... Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, DPMS.

Two... get a flat-top. You'll be able to add different optics, flip-up iron sights, carry handle at your convenience.

Three... resist the urge to buy all sorts of bells and whistles. About all you'll realistically need is some sort of optics (EoTech or Aimpoint is nice), a back-up iron sight (BUIS), and maybe a fold down front sight.

Four... buy at least a half-dozen pre-ban USGI 30rd magazines. If you don't mind spending the money, buy even more. [smile]

Five... ARs do get very dirty, but cleaning them isn't that big a hassle. Stripping one down is as simple as it can get.

Six... I'd recommend buying a spare parts kit (springs, pins, detents, etc).
Bushmaster and Brownells carry them. They might seem a bit expesive for a few tiny parts, but you'll appreciate it if (when), you lose or break some impossibly small part and have to mail order one $1.25 spring and pay $7.00 to have it shipped.

Seven... installing the Ace stock is pretty easy. Just be careful not to lose the takedown pin detent spring (or detent), in the rear of the receiver...it's held in by the buttstock (see... that's why a spare parts kit can be handy [wink] ).

Before you slip on the foam cover, lube the buffer tube (I know that sounds obscene), so it'll go on much easier without tearing.

I am in the same predicament as you - Four Seasons has what look like pretty good prices on DPMS Panther AP4 carbines, and they also carry Bushmaster. Another place I looked that I had very good prices was the Shooters Box in Malden. www.shootersbox.com.

I really like Four Seasons - but the guy who runs the Shooters Box had slightly better prices - and was very nice to deal with.

Have you thought about running a piston upper ?

There are several makers of piston uppers one or two of them advertise on AR15.com

From my understanding of the way the system works it makes it a lot easier to keep the rifle clean as no dirty gas is poring into the upper and or bolt carrier area any longer.

This design has worked for the FN FAL for the last 50 or so years.

Have you thought about running a piston upper ?

There are several makers of piston uppers one or two of them advertise on AR15.com

From my understanding of the way the system works it makes it a lot easier to keep the rifle clean as no dirty gas is poring into the upper and or bolt carrier area any longer.

This design has worked for the FN FAL for the last 50 or so years.
The piston upper is a solution in search of a problem.

Lube an AR every so often in a few key points and it will run forever. The AR does not need to be kept clean to function, just lubricated.

The direct impingement gas system has worked for the AR15/M16 for just about 50 years.

Thanks to all!

To everyone that offered assistance I appreciate your help. You really helped shove my fat arse over the proverbial fence.

The deed is done. I'm the proud papa of a beautiful baby Bushmaster.

Carl and Ed at FS could not have been more helpful to me. Now to do some reading and tinkering before my first trip to the range. Heck, I didn't even buy any ammo for fear I'd wanna 'feed' her before I was a little more edumicated.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help!

-Ted

To everyone that offered assistance I appreciate your help. You really helped shove my fat arse over the proverbial fence.

The deed is done. I'm the proud papa of a beautiful baby Bushmaster.

Carl and Ed at FS could not have been more helpful to me. Now to do some reading and tinkering before my first trip to the range. Heck, I didn't even buy any ammo for fear I'd wanna 'feed' her before I was a little more edumicated.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help!

-Ted

Congrats! Need any more info or anything,shoot me an IM or post.I'll try to help you.

Buying it was the easy thing,now you have to feed it[smile]

Back
Top Bottom