NFA 80%

We used to have an NFA subsection right? Maybe I'm blind or its this tiny phone, i can't find it.

Anyways, was going to SBR an 80 lower and build it out. Heard some rumor that these were getting rejected on Form 1s.

Brief Google foo only had discussions or references several years old.

Anyone running into speedbumps with lowers on a form 1?

Just curious, but isn’t the point of 80%s to keep them off the books? No offense meant
Thats a very common thought.

In my case, I have older Armalite lowers that I don't want to add engraving to. Or the lowers I wouldn't mind engraving are budget poverty ponys that I wouldn't want to be married to via NFA, buuuuut I can make an 80 look like anything I want.

I've read of others experiences that they got an email from the ATF asking for clarification when it came to the manufacturer, and when it was explained that it was an 80, they proceeded without issue.
Maybe, but seems like poking the bear. It either is a gun or isn't. Can't be both.

Seems kind of odd the ATF would ask for clarification, since the Form 1 is for the manufacturing of a firearm. YOU are now the manufacturer of such firearm.

RC

I understand what people are asking in reference to 80% recievers and the form 1. My understanding is once you machine it out and drill the holes, you now have a 100% functional reciever, although its minus the serial # and manufacturer. How would one go about a form 1 with one of these recievers in relation to serial numbers and manufacturers so you can legally use it on an SBR...?

I understand what people are asking in reference to 80% recievers and the form 1. My understanding is once you machine it out and drill the holes, you now have a 100% functional reciever, although its minus the serial # and manufacturer. How would one go about a form 1 with one of these recievers in relation to serial numbers and manufacturers so you can legally use it on an SBR...?
They do.it the same.way you would a form 1 suppressor. For the ones I've done, I'm the manufacturer and it gets whatever SN I pick. Once my approved.form 1 comes back, I take it and have it engraved.

I've done cans before but not a lower. I'd imagine the process is identical.

Whole reason I asked is that a buddy heard from his uncle who knows a guy type thing. I did my own research but nothing really came up other than what I've mentioned from reading various forums but all content was a year or more old. Figured someone here might have done this recently and have a first hand account of any shenanigans encountered.

@Stape

Mill and drill the 80% lower. I’d recommend building it into a pistol since it looks like you’re in Missouri. This will allow you to test it and make sure there are no issues with the build as well as let you play with it while waiting on the ATF to approve the form. No reason to pay $200 and wait just to find out your lower is f***ed up.

Once the form is approved then you can swap out the pistol brace and put on a real stock.

The makers name (you), the serial number and the caliber marking can be made at any time as long as it’s there before you put on the stock (I.e. making it an actual SBR).

The other reason for making it a pistol to start is depending on the state, you can drive around with them loaded, cross state lines depending on those other states, and if it starts life as a pistol then you can always change it back to a pistol.
If it starts as a rifle then it must always be a rifle and can never be a pistol.

I think I’d forgo the potential red tape and spend the $$ on a decent preferred lower

You can absolutely SBR an 80% lower and people still do it and you will be approved. You do have some additional hurdles, you need to provide a serial number per ATF standards. You may choose to upload the optional picture to avoid delays. In all likelihood you will go pending research.

As far as the manufacturer and maker just follow the rules.

6.2.1 Description of firearm.

If an existing firearm or firearm receiver is being used, the name and location of the original manufacturer of the weapon should be entered in Block 4(a). If the applicant is making a completely new firearm, the applicant’s name and location should be entered in Block 4(a).

@Stape

Mill and drill the 80% lower. I’d recommend building it into a pistol since it looks like you’re in Missouri. This will allow you to test it and make sure there are no issues with the build as well as let you play with it while waiting on the ATF to approve the form. No reason to pay $200 and wait just to find out your lower is f***ed up.

Once the form is approved then you can swap out the pistol brace and put on a real stock.

The makers name (you), the serial number and the caliber marking can be made at any time as long as it’s there before you put on the stock (I.e. making it an actual SBR).

The other reason for making it a pistol to start is depending on the state, you can drive around with them loaded, cross state lines depending on those other states, and if it starts life as a pistol then you can always change it back to a pistol.
If it starts as a rifle then it must always be a rifle and can never be a pistol.
Good idea, thanks.

You asked about the NFA thread, it’s a dedicated sub thread under Firearms.

Ok, I see it now, way.up top, I was looking in the stickied section.

Regarding your previous input, I appreciate it. I had read enough that 80s were good to go but it was old info. Seems like nothing has changed, just wanted to run it by someone who might deal with such things more often than me.

I've got two projects for winter, I want to build a two stamp gun, sbr/suppressor, and a Sten. I've got my Sten kit, tube kit is onnthe way. I'd like to build the Sten as accurately as possible, I think they look wrong with a 16" barrel. This also will need a stamp.

Back
Top Bottom