NFA e-file Form 1 experience

John2006

NES Member
For those of you sitting on the fence in regards to SBR’s, I highly recommend doing it now. Had a couple of SBR’s processed +15 years ago and they took +9 months. Have had a couple processed over the last 2 months using the form 1 efile system (did the prints myself courtesy of amazon) and they’ve taken anywhere between 22 and 17 days which is incredible. For those of you in the fence in regards to going to the NFA route, I’d very much suggest doing this now while you can... From a historical perspective it’s pretty much unprecedented.

Last edited:
That’s a good report. My fixed mag ar pistol may need this route to be happy.

same experience for me. My last 2 eforms were 16 days and 21 days.

Last edited:
For those of you sitting on the fence in regards to SBR’s, I highly recommend doing it now. Had a couple of SBR’s processed +15 years ago and they took +9 months. Have had a couple processed over the last 2 months using the form 1 efile system (did the prints myself courtesy of amazon) and they’ve taken anywhere between 22 and 17 days which is incredible. For those of you in the fence in regards to going to the NFA route, I’d very much suggest doing this now while you can... From a historical perspective it’s pretty much unprecedented.
Which kit from Amazon did you use?

I am going to go do print cards today and start the process on my MCX tomorrow. I have a business trip coming up, so it's not like I will be biting my nails while I wait.

Which kit from Amazon did you use?

There are several dozen on Amazon. The key is making sure you get the official FBI FD-258 cards. Do yourself a favor and buy more than you think you will need. Doing it yourself for the first time, it is likely that you'll mess up a few rolls before getting it to appropriate standards of good rolls. I'd say at least 10 forms to give you a couple to test/mess up.

The kits can actually get a little pricey compared to just buying the forms and an ink pad, but may come with some nice bonuses like card holders. You can buy just the cards and ink pad for under $20.

OK, you've got me piqued. Why would you need to Form 1 based on the info you've given. Pistol = pistol.
Pistol => rifle ( a short one)

Lets me put a nice stock on instead of the brace and if ATF changes stance very hard on those braces then it’s better to have an sbr with the legal paper trail.

My town PD will fingerprint a resident for free, just need to call to set up an appointment. YMMV.

Nashua charges $25 per card or 50 a set. I sent a print card off to esilencers and they scanned it into their system. When I need a set I call them and they send me 4 for $10. If youre in the silencershop system you can get 1 set for $15. I have gone the route of requesting cards from the ATF and rolling my own. The one set I submitted looked like shit but still got approved. I dont mind paying esincers 10 bucks for 4 cards so I dont bother rolling my own prints.

Yeah I ordered 50 cards from Amazon for $25 I think and practiced before I submitted a bunch. Also bought the card holder for $10 and an ink pad and was good to go. Much easier to go DIY than keep going down to the station and no reason not to. Just practice a few times and it’s pretty easy.

not related but my form 4 suppressor was approved today. 318 days from pending to approved

I was about to ask if this applied to suppressors as well. I’m assuming you did the paper filing?
Correct, there isnt an eform 4 yet. Internet rumors saying it may return in 2020 but Im not risking the wait. I still have 2 form 4s pending abd will have a 3rd whenever my SiCo promo can arrives.

Last edited:
I have a bren 805 that I have been dying to sbr
I did and its awesome

ACR stock and shortened 10.5" barrel done by Pullman Arms

original-10af2f6699524bd655e3661b6042c1c1.jpg

The fastest way to form 1 approval:
Take selfie of yourself And upload it onto ATF Site
Pay $200 tax stamp while on the site with credit or debit card.
Go to Amazon and order an ink pad in the FBI fingerprint cards for very cheap money. Hopefully you have Amazon prime you can do this actually before or after you go onto ATF site.
Overnight fingerprint cards (the next day is best) into the ATF, that will ensure that they get them and someone has to sign for them, it’s worth the $25.
Wait 15 to 21 days for an email to come back that you’re approved.

The only trip you have to leave your house for is to overnight the print cards. It’s that simple

Do I have to email an online retailer or provide a paper copy of the approval to make the purchase of a shortened barrel, or to cut a barrel down? Or is all the risk on you, the gun owner?

Do I have to email an online retailer or provide a paper copy of the approval to make the purchase of a shortened barrel, or to cut a barrel down? Or is all the risk on you, the gun owner?

[freud] Sometimes a banana is just a banana. [/freud]

A barrel is just a barrel. It is not an NFA item. It can be used on a pistol, etc., or it could be used to create an NFA weapon. Doesn't have to be. To cover themselves (they think), a lot of retailers will post "ALL NFA RULES APPLY" on the ads for barrels or uppers with short barrels, as if someone would decide "I guess NFA no longer applies..."

Back
Top Bottom