NH Alert: SB116. Still on the Gov's desk. ***Vetoed***

Actually, just ask for the denial letter itself with all personal information regarding the applicant to be redacted.

The number of denials would be more meaningful along with the number of approvals (along with the time span from application to disposition and who dun it).

Yeah they can, You old enough to remember, "The Singing Nun"?

Do you mean "The Flying Nun" with young, hot, Sally Fields?

The number of denials would be more meaningful along with the number of approvals (along with the time span from application to disposition and who dun it).

Do you mean "The Flying Nun" with young, hot, Sally Fields?

We need to know the reasons though to determine how far the DoS is taking the "suitable person" definition. Are they denying people for civil infractions like speeding tickets? For ANY misdemeanor? We need to know this information as it helps in the legislative battle.

We need to know the reasons though to determine how far the DoS is taking the "suitable person" definition. Are they denying people for civil infractions like speeding tickets? For ANY misdemeanor? We need to know this information as it helps in the legislative battle.

I do not disagree, however, just having information about what percentage of the time the State Police actually issue a response within the required 14 days would be useful as testimony. In addition we've heard them state that if they get it wrong people are free to appeal, but what percentage of people actually do? Is the fact that people are required to pay (significant) fees to appeal chilling appeals or applications?

I'm back in the country now and will see if I can get this off on Monday.

The local police are denying for misdemeanors including traffic violations.

The applicant emailed the chief last night. He probably should have done so first but oh well. Then we wouldn't have had some fun at the chiefs expense. Anyway, the chief claims it is his clerk who has been holding the license application up because she was waiting for the references to get back to the department.

And if you guys think my one grammatical mistake is bad wait until you read the chief's response to the applicants email asking what was up with the license.

Got to love how all those "experts" keep calling a license a permit. Must be the lexicon of experts or something. As a non-expert, I'll never understand. And is there a Cheryl and a Sheryl? [smile]

Can somebody update this thread?

I can not make out what happened in the last 80 posts.

The thread drift is real.

Can somebody update this thread?

I can not make out what happened in the last 80 posts.

The thread drift is real.

There aren't any updates to be had yet. SB 116 has been assigned to the House criminal justice committee. But the hearing date, time and place have not been released yet.

It's a distinction without a difference.

One is permission from the government to exercise a natural right that would be illegal without their permission, and the other is... aw, hell, I keep getting them mixed up!

I know! The idea that somehow a license is more freedom than a permit is laughable. For instance, I have a driver's license and a license to practice dentistry. In order to obtain those licenses, i had to acquire special knowledge and pass a .gov regulated exam to earn those licenses.

I have also had to obtain building permits, which require neither special knowledge nor an exam. Just fill out a form and pay the fee. Now which one again is more freedom?

And yes, the terminology doesn't make any sense. You can get a marriage license without training or a test.

There really is no difference if it's called a gun license or permit. It still infringes on a basic human right.

HB582 was retained in the house. Now SB116, the same bill from the senate has been placed in the same committee after passing the senate and has a public hearing Tuesday March 24th at 10AM in the Legislative Office Building rooms 206-208. The LOB is behind the statehouse.

Please take the day off and speak!!! We need to PACK this hearing. We need to keep the committee there until the sun goes down if possible to show support.

If you cannot take the day off, stop by and sign the sheet that you are not speaking but support the bill.

Last edited:
Here is an image you can share on social media:

kCMXUUQ.jpg

Please speak to why the current system is broken. If you have ever been dicked around or know someone who has, please speak about this at the hearing. The committee needs to know that chiefs are overstepping.

I guess I'm confused. When is crossover day?

Crossover doesn't matter for this bill. It already crossed over on march 3rd.

ETA:

All crossover really means is that the house has to act on all house bills before a certain date. Generally speaking senate bills are not acted on before then however somtimes they are acted on before crossover. In this case the public hearing is going to happen before crossover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom