NH Ammo and Primer/Powder Storage Laws?

LittleCalm

NES Member
I am a typical beaten down MA resident looking to buy a vaca home in NH. I read the threads about NH gun storage (basically, none, except need to restrict kids' access to loaded firearms). Any NH laws regarding ammo and reloading components storage? We are looking in Bartlett/Jackson/N.Conway area.

Last edited:
Any NH laws regarding ammo and reloading components storage? We are looking in Bartlett/Jackson/N.Conway area.
Your insurance company may have their own idea what is appropriate. Generally fire code does not limit storage of ammo and components in their original packaging.

Last edited:
I am a typical beaten down MA resident looking to buy a vaca home in NH. I read the threads about NH gun storage (basically, none, except need to restrict kids' access to loaded firearms). Any NH laws regarding ammo and reloading components storage? We are looking in Bartlett/Jackson/N.Conway area.

NH gun law can be pretty well summarized by the following:

Gun Shop Cashier: Are you federally a prohibited person?

Customer: no.

Gun Shop Cashier: Sweet! Here is a gun and ammo for your cash and here is a list of ranges in NH, now go have some fun.

It is literally that simple. There are practically no other laws.

Aside from no loaded rifles in a vehicle (Fish and Game violation) and a few other hunting related F&G RSA's the only other laws apply to handguns.

And even those are sparse.
CHAPTER 159 PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS

Thanks guys. I know questions like these to non-MA people always generate the laughs. Btw, I have my NH non-res permit. Are there any good ranges in the N. Conway area?

NH gun law can be pretty well summarized by the following:

Gun Shop Cashier: Are you federally a prohibited person?

Customer: no.

Gun Shop Cashier: Sweet! Here is a gun and ammo for your cash and here is a list of ranges in NH, now go have some fun.

It is literally that simple. There are practically no other laws.

Aside from no loaded rifles in a vehicle (Fish and Game violation) and a few other hunting related F&G RSA's the only other laws apply to handguns.

And even those are sparse.
CHAPTER 159 PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS

SO until my non-res LTC comes in, as long as my CCW is unloaded and not on my person, I'm OK? I've been a little worried about when I cross the border on my way to my place in a free state.

Just needs to be unloaded when in your vehicle.

Once you exit the vehicle it can be loaded but must be openly carried.

Also AFAIK, there is no case law on what counts as "loaded." So while we think of loaded as being "a round in the chamber" the law does not specify and there is no case law to specify so if you keep a loaded mag in the gun but the chamber clear that could be considered "loaded" by some over-zealous DA.

Violating the NH CC law is a misdemeanor for the first offense.

Also AFAIK, there is no case law on what counts as "loaded." So while we think of loaded as being "a round in the chamber" the law does not specify and there is no case law to specify so if you keep a loaded mag in the gun but the chamber clear that could be considered "loaded" by some over-zealous DA.

Violating the NH CC law is a misdemeanor for the first offense.

Personally I wouldn't want to pay a lawyer as a test case- so I'd suggest having no ammunition in the gun at all.

IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so YMMV.

Keep them stored where the ammo won't corrode and the powder won't go bad? :D

FWIW - I believe that the whole concept (of the NH no-loaded rifles in vehicles) dates back to older times, when hunters carried loaded rifles around in their vehicle - With actual incident(s), where a loaded rifle was jostled/dropped, and accidentally discharged.

Its something that I think I read about years ago (although, that may only be one factor, or, I may not know what the hell I am talking/mumbling about).

It's generally recommended to store the ammo out of the rain... Can't think of much beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom