NH application to carry

Hey where was that thread on the application to carry for NH?

I just saw it the other day and now I cant find it.

It was a PDF link where you could fill it in and print it out...

anyone know where it is???

thanks,
Rob

NH CHL

I sent in my application (with copy of current CHL in other states as they request) with the $20.00 fee for the non-resident license and got my license in less than two weeks!!! Talk about a great program!!

Non-resident license story

My wife and I were cruising up Rt. 3 on the way to a short vacation in the NH lakes region and just over the NH border flew right into the arms of a NH State Police radar trap.

The trooper flagged me down and walked up to my window then asked for my license/registration. When I opened my wallet he noticed my Non-resident pistol/firearms license and asked whether I had a firearm on me. When I confirmed that I did he just asked that I keep my hands on the wheel while he did a registration check. When he returned he suggested that if I'm stopped again for any reason that I immediately inform the officer that I'm licensed and have a firearm. He said, ".... just a suggestion in light of the fact that we've lost two officers recently". He was extremely professional and sent me on my way with a warning to keep the speed down.

I can understand his concern but I'm not sure that volunteering that information is the right thing to do in a simple traffic stop like that.

I can understand his concern but I'm not sure that volunteering that information is the right thing to do in a simple traffic stop like that.

I think the general consensus is NOT to give that info unless asked. If he (NH SP) did not see your permit he probably would have never known. My permits are not visible when opening my wallet and it is probably a good idea to keep them "concealed" unless needed. But that is just my opinion.

I think the general consensus is NOT to give that info unless asked. If he (NH SP) did not see your permit he probably would have never known. My permits are not visible when opening my wallet and it is probably a good idea to keep them "concealed" unless needed. But that is just my opinion.

+1.

Like my cousin Fat Paulie likes to say, "No one ever got in trouble by keeping his f**king mouth shut."

+1 It's easy to keep an innocuous card right behind your drivers license and in front of your pistol permit - maybe a library card e.g.

+1 It's easy to keep an innocuous card right behind your drivers license and in front of your pistol permit - maybe a library card e.g.

Or a MoveOn.org membership card if you really want to deflect the cops attention from thinking about whether you're armed or not.

Of course, then the drug-sniffing K9 will come out of the cruiser, and you'll be delayed even more.

I have 2 wallets, one with my firearm license's and business cards and the other with all the other usual stuff.

When I opened my wallet he noticed my Non-resident pistol/firearms license
I cover this when I run intro courses. It's amazing how many people put their LTC front & center so anyone sees it when you open you wallet - and I'm not just talking about traffic stops, but any shopkeeper you open your wallet for, the person behind you in line, etc.

It's all about getting lost in a crowd of one.

IIRC there are some states (Texas(?) for one) where you are required to inform an officer of that fact upon any such stop. Little facts such as these are usually suposed to be covered in any classes in those states.

In discussions on other firearms boards about this subject, the general concensus seems to have been, if disclosure is not dictated, then don't mention it. AS LONG AS YOU REMAIN IN YOUR VEHICLE. Keep your hands in plain view, don't make any sudden movements, be polite, but do not say anything about any firearms unless specifically asked and then don't lie.

But, if you are asked to get out of the vehicle, politely inform the officer that you are carrying a firearm with the proper license and ask him how he wants you to proceed.

Note: The above all assumes that you are carrying a firearm in accordance with local and state laws where you are are.

My permit was the easiest thing to do....filled out the form in less than 2 minutes, handed it in....4 days later they called, i handed them a 10$ bill and they handed me my onion paper pistol permit. No resistance whatsoever other than my difficulty in sliding the 10$ bill through the security slot in the police station window.

Im in th process of my non-resident MA permit, and its like jumping through hoops in comparison.

The application form asks for the reason(s) for making this application and provides two examples on the back, Protection and All Proper Purposes. Does it make a difference which one you use? I cannot remember what I put on my original application (this is a renewal for me) and the license does not specify.

Oh this thread reminds me my NH permit is up in Sep. Time to renew.

I always put All Proper Purposes for my reason.

I find that when people get their LTC, they are so proud to be a card carrying "Good Guy" that the card ends up in a prominent place in the wallet.

Bad idea. As Rob said, it just allows anyone and everyone to know that you might be armed. Guess who the first target will be for the holdup guy in line behind you?

I keep mine tucked in the deepest slot of the wallet. It's a bit annoying fishing it out to buy ammo or such, but unless I do, nobody knows. The GOAL and NRA membership cards are also in this part of the wallet.

i have a tri-fold(opens like norm and third section(where i keep my D.License) flips upward,i keep my CCW permit in slot below D.L. spot)still accessable but out of sight.

and as far as i know,N.H. doesn't require you to inform officer that your licensed to carry..(or is it that your carring.?,can't remember now)

i have a tri-fold(opens like norm and third section(where i keep my D.License) flips upward,i keep my CCW permit in slot below D.L. spot)still accessable but out of sight.

and as far as i know,N.H. doesn't require you to inform officer that your licensed to carry..(or is it that your carring.?,can't remember now)

I'll help. NH does not require:

1. that you inform the officer you're licensed to carry;
2. that you inform the officer that you are carrying;
3. that you even carry your license on your person while you're carrying.

I have a few questions on the application.

First... in the boxes labeled as Original, Renewal, Record Check, Fee Received. Would I check off Original since I've never had an NH license, or is that section for the police dept. only?

Second... where it says "For what reason(s) do you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire? (see reverse side)"
PROTECTION or ALL PROPER PURPOSES are listed. It also says One or more of these reasons must be noted on the application, in the space provided for reason(s) you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire. I'm thinking ALL PROPER PURPOSES, but what are the differences in the two?

I put "for all proper purposes" on my last NH renewal this past February. The license itself doesn't show any reason on it. I checked off the "renewal" box. I
guess you would be "original" .
GC

Last edited:
I just got mine for the first time. I checked "Original" and listed "All Proper Purposes".

I'm not sure why they put "Protection" as a reason because that is a proper purpose.

... where it says "For what reason(s) do you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire? (see reverse side)"
PROTECTION or ALL PROPER PURPOSES are listed. It also says One or more of these reasons must be noted on the application, in the space provided for reason(s) you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire. I'm thinking ALL PROPER PURPOSES, but what are the differences in the two?

Here's what the statute says (my emphasis added):
The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose.
All you have to write in the block is "self-defense."

Back
Top Bottom