NH - creating a range in the back yard?

drboom

NES Member
So if all goes really well, I'll have moved to the free state of NH this summer. Once of the houses we are looking at has a decent parcel of land attached to it (10+ acres) which has me thinking about creating an outdoor range. I'll do some googling and probably post another thread about the mechanics and cost of trying to do so, but first I'm concerned about the legalities.
Does anyone know what, if any restrictions NH imposes and if the towns are allowed to impose their own restrictions? I seem to remember a 100yd minimum distance from any dwelling you don't have permission from which should be no problem.
Has anyone else done this? Anyone have any pointers to more authoritative information?

What about noise restrictions that might apply? Or hazardous waste (e.g., lead) contamination? I'll only do this if I can safely manage the lead or whatever anyway as everyone uses their own wells for water and I want to be damn sure I'm not contaminating anyone's water supply.

FWIW, we have looked at plots in Hudson, Londonderry and Windham so the question could apply to any of those towns.

Thanks, Jon

From what I have heard, each town can pass regulations concerning shooting on your property or in the town in general. Check with the Town Clerk's office.
The NRA Range Source book as a great reference for any type of range. It costs about $50.00 plus shipping from what I remember.

I'm in Amherst and some of my neighbors have ranges on them. One even has a 300 yard rifle range, along with a 100 yard 'pistol' range.

I do not think the noise regulations are a problem unless you have multiple people shooting on your property. This is what happened in Hollis when they ended up closing the gun range - neighbors were complaining that the range was in use all day, every day and they got fed up.

Most of my neighbors shoot in the summer and the houses are far enough apart that it isn't an issue.

What about noise restrictions that might apply?
Thanks, Jon

You live in a free state, buy a suppressor !

Personally, that would be my "Congratulations on moving to a free state" present to myself.

Nobody would even know I had a range in the backyard... [smile]

If you buy a can, then the neighbors will want to come over and try it.

Trust me, I've got three and I can't get rid of my neighbors. I've got to figure out a polite way of saying "No more shooting unless you bring the ammo".

If you buy a can, then the neighbors will want to come over and try it.

Trust me, I've got three and I can't get rid of my neighbors. I've got to figure out a polite way of saying "No more shooting unless you bring the ammo".

Just ask nicely...when i first got into shooting, i had no idea of the price of ammo. Then my friend who took me shooting, asked me if I could spot the next shoot. After that, i knew how pricey things were, and i gladly paid up on my end.

Back
Top Bottom