NH Non Resident License

2 months later, no contact or anything I receive a little white envelope with my license in it! Woohoo!

The form took about 10 minutes to fill out, a minute to write the check and then just wait! Easy! I like NH![rofl]

Congrats! They are a bit slow these days. When I got mine before I moved to NH they stated it was because MA was slow and they had to confirm the license with them.

Hi all,

Could you guys help me out with a couple of questions? My wife and I are applying for our MA LTC and have an appointment with the officer tommorow for our interveiw. We shouldn't have a problem getting a ALP, so with that in mind, I see alot of people from MA, applying for a NH LTC. First off, is it fairly easy to get one for NH? If I had a non-resident LTC from NH, can I purchase/trade firearms in NH and take them home with me to MA with my MA LTC. Next, my father inlaw has firearms he wants to give to my wife and I, after we get our MA LTC, would I need to send them to an FFL for transfer if I didn't have a non-resident LTC? I am sorry for all the questions, and please forgive my ignorance, I am new here and I am sure with how much info is available on this web site, I just have not found it yet. Thanks for your help, have a great day!! :)

Hi all,

Could you guys help me out with a couple of questions? My wife and I are applying for our MA LTC and have an appointment with the officer tommorow for our interveiw. We shouldn't have a problem getting a ALP, so with that in mind, I see alot of people from MA, applying for a NH LTC. First off, is it fairly easy to get one for NH? If I had a non-resident LTC from NH, can I purchase/trade firearms in NH and take them home with me to MA with my MA LTC. Next, my father inlaw has firearms he wants to give to my wife and I, after we get our MA LTC, would I need to send them to an FFL for transfer if I didn't have a non-resident LTC? I am sorry for all the questions, and please forgive my ignorance, I am new here and I am sure with how much info is available on this web site, I just have not found it yet. Thanks for your help, have a great day!! :)

It's as easy as filling out a silly piece of paperwork, photocopying your MA LTC, sending $20 and waiting. [rofl]

Really couldn't get any easier.....

Moparman,

- NH NR License is a cakewalk, fill out a simple form, give them a copy of your MA LTC and a check for $20. Wait 4-8 weeks and you'll be AOK to CCW in NH (that is ALL that this license is good for).

- Fed Law trumps any state laws wrt interstate transfers. Fed Law makes it a Felony to transfer any guns FTF between people who are not both resident of the same state. [Only exception is in an inheritance situation, from deceased folks.]

- Fed Law allows one to purchase/transfer long guns from an FFL (only) in any state, assuming that the gun would be legal for the person to own in their home state and that state law allows such a transfer. This is true for relatives, free gifts, etc.

- Fed Law Only allows handgun transfers to be done within the state that the new owner lives in. Therefore, any handguns you find in another state would have to be shipped/delivered to an FFL in the new owner's home state. Therefore, the EOPS List comes into play, it must be on the List (and may have to meet the AG Regs, unless exempt) or no transfer can be done to an owner in MA.

- For MA FTF transfers, both parties MUST be licensed (LTC/FID) and do it on a FA-10 form. If the person selling/giving the gun is not licensed, then it must be delivered to an FFL in MA and the transfer can legally be done there.

Moparman,

- NH NR License is a cakewalk, fill out a simple form, give them a copy of your MA LTC and a check for $20. Wait 4-8 weeks and you'll be AOK to CCW in NH (that is ALL that this license is good for).

- Fed Law trumps any state laws wrt interstate transfers. Fed Law makes it a Felony to transfer any guns FTF between people who are not both resident of the same state. [Only exception is in an inheritance situation, from deceased folks.]

- Fed Law allows one to purchase/transfer long guns from an FFL (only) in any state, assuming that the gun would be legal for the person to own in their home state and that state law allows such a transfer. This is true for relatives, free gifts, etc.

- Fed Law Only allows handgun transfers to be done within the state that the new owner lives in. Therefore, any handguns you find in another state would have to be shipped/delivered to an FFL in the new owner's home state. Therefore, the EOPS List comes into play, it must be on the List (and may have to meet the AG Regs, unless exempt) or no transfer can be done to an owner in MA.

- For MA FTF transfers, both parties MUST be licensed (LTC/FID) and do it on a FA-10 form. If the person selling/giving the gun is not licensed, then it must be delivered to an FFL in MA and the transfer can legally be done there.

Does this apply to C&R firearms also?

The process was easy but the lead time made the Mass RMV look like Speedy Gonzales. You will get, just not quickly.

Does this apply to C&R firearms also?

Actually yes!

C&R firearms are "just another gun" wrt transfer laws, EXCEPT if the recipient has a C&R FFL. In that case, the recipient "is the FFL" and can obtain the C&R gun in any state. I do think this discussion has the potential to confuse some folks, however.

Hmmm, they cashed my check, but still no permit... Ahh well, maybe weekend + fed holiday has it backed up in the mail (hope I didn't accidentally throw it away)

My understanding is that NH is down to one person that does the non resident CCW's and that's why the process takes longer than usual. When mine was up for renewal last fall NH sent me a reminder.
OLAK

Actually yes!

C&R firearms are "just another gun" wrt transfer laws, EXCEPT if the recipient has a C&R FFL. In that case, the recipient "is the FFL" and can obtain the C&R gun in any state. I do think this discussion has the potential to confuse some folks, however.

Thanks Len.

Sent in My App today. Hope they will accept Money order?!

Also, the app didn't say to send a picture. What do they use?

Sent in app and photocopies of MA LTC. Also, is the license itself credit card/new LTC style?

Sent in My App today. Hope they will accept Money order?!

Also, the app didn't say to send a picture. What do they use?

Sent in app and photocopies of MA LTC. Also, is the license itself credit card/new LTC style?

I'm sure that they will accept a MO. I've sent personal checks and that was AOK.

No pictures . . . it's the "live free or die state"! [laugh] No pics, no fingerprints, no DNA sample required.

Yes, the NR version is plastic and credit-card sized. Regrettably, the Resident version is still a thin sheet of paper.

It's here!

My NH license finally arrived today! 44 business days - almost 9 weeks from when I mailed it. The expiration date is the same month/year as my MA LTC. Watch out: it arrives in a smaller-than-normal-sized envelope!

Back
Top Bottom