• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Pistol/Revolver License: family member as references?

Reptile

NES Member
Can I use a family member as a reference?

I see nothing to the contrary.

I have 2 of my regular references from my MA LTC, but I need one more for NH.

NH is not MA. If it doesn't say you can't do something . . . therefore you CAN do it.

Ok, what about this...

Can I use a member of my household?

I know there is nothing against that but I may be pushing it...

Over the last 30 years when renewing my NH non-res I have always used my bride as one of my references. My opinion is that they probably like to see that as nobody knows me better.

Yes. But if they ask for phone numbers, refuse to disclose them. The form doesn't require it and therefore, it's illegal for them to ask for email addresses, phone numbers, etc.

There's no disqualifications for references. You can put police officers, family members, etc. on the application.

When I renew, my son is going to be about 2 years old. He's going to be one of my references. My wife, as always, will be another, and my third is this guy I'm friends with in Germany.

Is there really any value in requiring applicants to provide references? Can we get a sticky about towns which ask for more than is permitted by law, and the status of action to 'enlighten' them?

State law (including statewide preemption) is very clear. Yes, several towns ask you not to list relatives as references, but that's no more legal than towns insisting on reference phone numbers.

Last edited:
There is a thread on this but I have not been able to follow it very much recently.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/234804-NH-ACTION-ALERT-(Licensing)

If elected I do intend on cosponsoring a bill to fix some of the problems with current law (the suitability aspect being a big one).

Maybe adding an explicit penalty (read: good dollar value) for adding extra crap to the application would help dissuade the CoP's from doing this.

There is a thread on this but I have not been able to follow it very much recently.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/234804-NH-ACTION-ALERT-(Licensing)

If elected I do intend on cosponsoring a bill to fix some of the problems with current law (the suitability aspect being a big one).

Maybe adding an explicit penalty (read: good dollar value) for adding extra crap to the application would help dissuade the CoP's from doing this.

Or totally overhaul the RSA making the P&R license optional. [smile]

Or if we're truly stuck with it then make it lifetime.

I stated somewhere (No idea where at this point) that even if the P&R is made optional, we need to include the same fixes to it that I mentioned above.

Read the statute. "Renewal, when required..."

A license issued with the word "none" in the expiration date field would be perfectly valid, but you would probably lose the reciprocity in many states.

If anyone needs a reference, PM me and I'll send you my name and address and you can use that info.

It won't matter because I never answer my phone unless I know who's calling.

Your local PD will issue your license anyway even though they never spoke with me.

Back
Top Bottom