NH State Police Convert to S&W M&P45

JonJ

NES Member
http://ir.smith-wesson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=90977&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1041901&highlight=

New Hampshire State Police and Highway Patrol Convert to Smith & Wesson M&P45

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Aug. 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (Nasdaq: SWHC), parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 155-year old company in the global business of safety, security, protection and sport, announced today that it is has received an order for the company's M&P45 pistols from the New Hampshire Department of Safety. The contract calls for a total of 500 of the company's Military & Police (M&P) pistols chambered in .45 ACP to be issued to officers in the New Hampshire State Police and Highway Patrol divisions. The Smith & Wesson M&P45 pistols will replace competitive duty weapons currently used by the agency.

Officials at the New Hampshire Division of State Police and Highway Patrol indicated that the M&P45 pistol will provide their officers with several valuable features including interchangeable grip sizes, ambidextrous controls and proven safety features. The agency added that the M&P45's enhanced ergonomics, magazine disconnect safety, and ease of maintenance, were primary factors in their decision. The Smith & Wesson M&P45 pistol was selected by a committee representing multiple units of the New Hampshire State Police.

"After a close evaluation, it was evident that the M&P45 pistol provided our officers with the best combination of features for use in duty," said Colonel Fredrick Booth, Division Director of the New Hampshire State Police. "Along with its consistent reliability, the M&P45 proved to be very accurate and its unique internal design aided in reduced recoil and improved shootability. As we begin our transition to the Smith & Wesson polymer pistols, we are confident that the M&P45 will prove to be a valued asset to our officers."

"We are very pleased to be working with the men and women of the New Hampshire Department of Safety," said Leland Nichols, President and Chief Operating Officer of Smith & Wesson Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation. "Since we first debuted the M&P45 in February 2007, the pistol has been selected by numerous law enforcement agencies and has won various industry awards. We believe that the M&P45, along with the other models in the M&P Series, offers law enforcement and military professionals an ideal choice when selecting a duty firearm."

The M&P45 is manufactured with a traditional black or dark earth brown frame and is available with or without a frame-mounted ambidextrous thumb safety. With an empty weight of 29.6 ounces, the polymer pistol features a 4.5-inch barrel with an overall length of 8.05 inches. Providing one of the smallest grip sizes available on any .45 ACP pistol, the M&P45 comes standard with three interchangeable grips, allowing the user to customize the pistol to their preferred hand size. The M&P45 utilizes a steel dovetail mount front sight and a steel Novak(R) Lo-Mount carry rear sight. Tritium sights are available for low light conditions and a universal Picatinny-style equipment rail allows for tactical lights and lasers. The new frame-mounted ambidextrous thumb safety acts as a passive safety device allowing the slide to be pulled toward the rear, clearing the firearm without disengaging the safety. The M&P45 also incorporates a specially designed lanyard attachment for use by military and police.

About Smith & Wesson

Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation, a global leader in safety, security, protection and sport, is parent company to Smith & Wesson Corp., one of the world's largest manufacturers of quality firearms and firearm safety/security products and parent company to Thompson/Center Arms, Inc., a premier designer and manufacturer of premium hunting rifles, black powder rifles, interchangeable firearms systems and accessories under the Thompson/Center brand. Smith & Wesson licenses shooter protection, knives, apparel, and other accessory lines. Smith & Wesson is based in Springfield, Massachusetts with manufacturing facilities in Springfield, Houlton, Maine, and Rochester, New Hampshire. The Smith & Wesson Academy is America's longest running firearms training facility for law enforcement, military and security professionals. For more information on Smith & Wesson, call (800) 331-0852 or log on to http://www.smith-wesson.com. For more information on Thompson/Center Arms, log on to http://www.tcarms.com.

Industry Contact: Gary Giudice
Blue Heron Communications
(800) 654-3766
[email protected]

Liz Sharp, VP Investor Relations
Smith & Wesson Holding Corp.
(480) 949-9700 x. 115
[email protected]

SOURCE Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation

Thats cool, I bet if the military does decide to get a new sidearms that the M&P45 would be at the top of their list as well.

I don't know much about the M&P but I admired NH SP for using the Sig 220ST. The biggest issue with the sig is the grip can be too big for small hands even with the "short trigger". Also, the stainless must be a heavy bastard to carry all day--anyone ever carry it?

Chosen for the "magazine disconnect safety" [rolleyes] Only benefit I see in this is if there's a struggle for the pistol then ejecting the magazine would disable the gun, which would be a good technique if the officer had a backup. Big negative would be no fire capability on tactical reloads and no fire if mag not seated properly (ejected by holster rub). It's hard for me to see this feature as adding safety because professionals should know how to unload the firearm and handle it properly. I say this in spite of the recent accident in CA, which I have to wonder if that person was trained properly.

I'd be interested to know the price change. Governments get huge discounts for volume and for increased publicity but the M&P retail is close to half the Sig 220ST. More money doesn't always mean better pistol but it makes me wonder.

Last edited:
NHSP had problem with the guns rusting and with the magazine disconnect. From what I was told the guns internals rusted farily frequently. Initailly they had isues with magzine springs. I was also told that if the magazine disconect broke it could tie up the gun.

As a NH resident, I'm really interested in what they're going to do with all of their current duty weapons.

About a decade ago when I lived in RI a local shop had a bunch of S&W .357s that had "RI State Police" engraved on the barrels. They were all trade-ins and I still kick myself in the a$$ for not picking one up.

I don't know much about the M&P but I admired NH SP for using the Sig 220ST. The biggest issue with the sig is the grip can be too big for small hands even with the "short trigger". Also, the stainless must be a heavy bastard to carry all day--anyone ever carry it?

I used to carry mine concealed a bit but man....even with a good Bianchi and Comp-tac holsters, it was just too much. I would suspect though that in a proper duty rig on a good gear belt it wouldn't be so bad.

Good for Smith & Wesson! That's one company I'm very fond, and I like to see it succeed.

This is good though; I'm thinking of getting an M&P for my next gun (that or a Springfield XD).

I have the XD 45 and had (until recently) the M&P 45. The M&P has better ergonomics, hands down, but lacked a number of features I like about the XD, like a grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, and striker indicator. Plus field stripping the XD is much easier than the M&P.

That aside, they're both fantastic weapons, AFTER you get a trigger job for the M&P. Even the free world trigger is terrible (it's heavy and grainy, and the way the trigger safety is set up, it makes for a double reset when you release the trigger). So figure out sending it to Burwell regardless of whether or not it's a MA compliant model.

Neither did I. How many rounds does it hold?

10 for now, but rumor is there will be a high cap mag out next year (probably 13 rounds).

I owned a P220-ST and IMO it's unsuitable for duty use unless
the carrier likes carrying around a big hunk of metal that doesn't
really do any better than it's alloy counterpart. The alloy version
of the gun is under 30 ozs, the ST is over 40!

I had both of them and ended up selling the 220ST... after I got
a German P220 alloy job with the folded slide, I found I could a
ctually shoot better with it.... the 220-ST languished in my
safe and I eventually traded it.

The only real merit, IMO, to the 220-ST is you could probably
run nuclear loads through the thing and not hurt it... but typical
LE use is nowhere near that, really.

The other problem with the P220-ST is SIGARMS has had shitty
QC on that particular gun... you could get one that ran like a
champ (like the one I had) or get one that was a dog, had the
wrong extractor installed, etc). IMO the 220ST was a solution
to a problem that didn't exist. It didn't really reduce the
recoil/flip of a .45 like one would think it would. The version
that they came up with 5" BBL may do a lot better, though...
don't know if it's on the street yet.

The "too large for small hands" thing wasn't a real problem... it's
a single stack gun, and with standard/wood grip panels anyone
that can grip a 1911 can run a P220.

-Mike

Last edited:
GRABBED OFF THE NET. . .

070113mp45.JPG

SHOT Show — Best of Day 2
By C. Mark Brinkley - Staff writer

click on these words to see the S & W video >>>> Video: M&P45 – >>>when you go to this link:http://images.google.com/imgres?img...20&gbv=2&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N

ORLANDO, Fla. — Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing?
We’re not so sure. After a second day of wandering the booths at the massive 2007 Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show and Conference, we’re still not sick of playing with all the guns and gear. We could do this all weekend.
Luckily, SHOT Show runs through Sunday.

Our favorites of the day include a pistol we think you’ll love, a caffeine drink we think you’ll love and an emergency light that we — you guessed it — think you’ll love. Only the light is currently available in stores, however, so you’ll have to wait a while to try the others for yourselves.

Without further ado, the “Best of Day Two.”

1. SMITH & WESSON M&P45
There’s one. There’s another one. Oh, look, there’s another one.
When it comes to handguns, the flavor of the moment appears to be chambered for .45-caliber rounds. At every turn, another big-barreled beast seemed to leap off the table and beg to be held.
Glock has one. So does Beretta. So does Heckler & Koch.
Until we fire them, the jury is still out on which model we like best. But our early favorite — after holding them all, playing with the features and hearing the company pitches — is the new Smith & Wesson M&P45.
A new addition to the company’s “Military & Police” line, the M&P45 has many features similar to the other weapons, which were all built to accommodate possible military specifications. The magazine holds 10 rounds, the frame comes in a dark-earth mud color, and there’s a standard rail system under the barrel.
The pistol also features ambidextrous slide stops and thumb safeties, as well as an easily reversible magazine ejection button. Interchangeable handgrips in three sizes make the weapon comfortable for most shooters.
The new pistol is expected to begin hitting the streets in March, with a suggested retail price of $600 to $650.

Does anyone know if the ambidextrous safety is truly ambidextrous all of the time like the Glock 21sf or if you can reverse if it you choose, but it must be on one side or the other?

-Cuz.

Last go around for police, it was Glock and Sig. Looks like this time it is mostly S&W.

I wonder if there is a listing somewhere of which states/counties/towns carry which gun and what caliber.

We can start it here:

State Police:
CT
MA Sig .40
ME
NH
VT
RI
NY

Major Cities:
Boston
Hartford
Providence
Worcester
Springfield
Nashua
Manchester
Concord NH
Portland

Towns:

State Police:
CT
MA Sig .40
ME
NH M&P .45
VT
RI
NY

Major Cities:
Boston Glock 23 (I think, might still be the 19)
Hartford
Providence
Worcester
Springfield
Nashua
Manchester
Concord NH
Portland

Hampden County - M&P .40
Boston College PD - Sig .40

I was at a local gunstore talking to the owner and a former nuclear plant guard about this. They both thought that there were about 1500 NHSP and that these 500 were going to the roughly one third who pull road details. They also thought that the police union was hot happy with this purchase.

Is there anyone from up that way who can verify whether this is correct or not?

NHSP has been carryin 45's for a pretty long time. The MP 45 has a better grip then the Sig or there prior S/W 4566's. THe troopers i have talked to are happy they are switching. THey had issues with there 220's

State Police:
CT
MA Sig .40
ME
NH M&P .45
VT
RI
NY

Major Cities:
Boston Glock 23 (I think, might still be the 19)
Hartford
Providence
Worcester
Springfield
Nashua
Manchester
Concord NH
Portland

Hampden County - M&P .40
Boston College PD - Sig .40
Add Cincinnati, OH to the majors list. Don't know which caliber but they bought a truckload of M&Ps, both pistols and rifles.

Last go around for police, it was Glock and Sig. Looks like this time it is mostly S&W.

I wonder if there is a listing somewhere of which states/counties/towns carry which gun and what caliber.

We can start it here:

State Police:
CT
MA Sig .40
ME
NH
VT
RI
NY

NY State Police have just switched from .40 Glocks to Glocks in .45 GAP. PA Troopers have just dropped their .40 caliber DAO Berettas for Glocks in the .45 GAP also.

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom