No aftermarket stocks for Savage rifles.

So I saved for a long while to buy a new rifle to shoot mid-range events with. I bought a Savage 12FV, with the intent of buying an after-market tactical stock, and all the other extras (bipod, base, rings, etc.

The rifle comes. I go to "drop" it into a new Bell and Carlson Medalist Tactical stock. The take down screw holes don't line up!

I called Bell and Carlson, and they said they don't make a stock for this rifle (contrary to their website).

I emailed Stocky's, where I bought the stock. They replied:

**ALL SAVAGES ABSOLUTELY MUST BE MEASURED. Savage is
notorious for design changes that require stock
modification(s) so be prepared to do so. This is
especially true of screw spacing and Accu-triggers,
not to mention the new center-feed magazine that
screws into the stock and not into the action like
every other rifle in the world. It costs a
manufacturer about $100K to set-up for a new inlet so
don't expect new versions to pop-up every time Savage
decides to change something for a few months. Be sure
to remember that when deciding on which gun to buy
also!

Thanks, Don

M.B.I., Inc.
331 Cornell Drive
Lake Worth, FL 33460
www.StockysStocks.com

I am so pissed right now I can't see straight.
Basically, no one makes an after-market stock for this
rifle as yet. I am stuck with the Tupperware stock it
came in. Damn! It's like begging for a new
bicycle for xmas when you were a kid, diving into and unwrapping it on xmas morn, only to discover with horror it's a girl's model.

I ate the $50 plus restocking charge at Stocky's, and I am firing off a letter to Savage to let them know what asses they are.

If I could, I'd send the damned thing back... all of
it... everything.

Jeff

I know what you mean Jeff.

My Savage 110 stock sucks. The grip is very poorly angled, void of any texture and is slippery as hell.

Next week I'm going to cut out a large block of it and refit it with a block of walnut and carve it to better angles and dimensions so its thicker and more vertical and with some finger grooves. I don't even care if it looks crappy, anything would be an improvement over the factory's piss poor design.

Savage should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such a good shooting rifle in such a poorly designed stock.

Well, I expected the original stock to be crap. I wanted the rifle and action and AccuTrigger for a custom project... you know, like can be done with every other rifle. The problem is that Savage seems to go out of their way to piss off the after-market world. Why? To sell more off-the-shelf F and F/TR rifles? Did going from 4-1/4" to 4-3/8" take down screw holes make the gun "better"?

Apparently they have a history of this, so there must be a reason (however misguided). All I can say is, no matter what kind of out-of-the-box accuracy they may have, they will never break big into mid and long range shooting competition so long as the other makers present vastly greater options for custom building.

Last edited:
Get an uninletted stock and have a gunsmith/stockfitter inlet it and bed it. You will be way ahead of the game if you do that.

B

I got a McMillan stock for my Savage and as Brian said, had a gunsmith do it. Looks and works great.
BTW, sometimes those "drop in" after market stocks don't fit so good on Remington, Winchesters and others either.
Dave D

for the record, the bedding block fit like a glove on the Bell and Carlson. That made it even more aggravating when the take down screw holes were off by 1/8".... just freakin deflating that's all.

I could go with a Richards Microfit Gunstock, if I wanted a top flight laminated one. They take a long time to get though. I don't know... just frustrating. Oh... and between the restocking charge and the shipping both ways, I am out close to $100 on this fiasco. Just shoot me.

Back
Top Bottom